• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Sri Lanka in England

JBH001

International Regular
Beleg said:
Of course, they are also pretty likely to be rolled out within 100 if the luck (and conditions) goes England's way but I doubt that'll happen.
LOL! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!

*whispers* who are you going for, England or Sri Lanka? Theres no need to do a reverse Neil Pickup on the Lankans....

Seriously though, its been another gutsy effort by the Lankan batsmen.
Even if they do get rolled for under a 100 tomorrow (in my view more likely than them getting over 150 - or even 200 which is what I believe they shall really need to make a game of it) this team has shown some fight, long missing from many Sri Lankan sides.

Anyway, if I may state the obvious, tomorrow will be either very interesting or not at all.
Xuhaib's analogy was spot on, it reminds me a little bit of Rocky 4.
cue Rocky music

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Beleg said:
I'll change that to Vandort, Vaas and the bowlers left. I don't know about Kulasekra (sp?) but Mahroof was able to stick around for a while on a seaming wicket against Asif and co, Vandort looks in fine touch and Vaas is one of the most underrated lower-order batsmen around - lead of 180 certainly doesn't sound like an outlandish prediction to me.

Of course, they are also pretty likely to be rolled out within 100 if the luck (and conditions) goes England's way but I doubt that'll happen.
I tend to agree with you but I am not quite as confident.

Are you confident enough to put your avatar on the line? I don't know, maybe change it to KP if England have to chase less than 100?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Beleg said:
I'll change that to Vandort, Vaas and the bowlers left.
All 5 are picked to bowl, not bat. To expect them to score as many as the top order have done is far beyond their remit.

Beleg

International Regular
All 5 are picked to bowl, not bat. To expect them to score as many as the top order have done is far beyond their remit.
No one is asking them to fill in for the top-order. However, if you have players like Vaas in your team, it is taken for granted that they'll contribute more then your average bowler.

Regarding Mahroof, I am pretty sure he was picked as an all-rounder. (Whether his bowling/batting is up to the task is largely irrelvent - from the selector's attitude in the Pakistan series and here they are expecting him to do what Vettori does for NZ. It's also clear that they have some faith in his abilities)

*whispers* who are you going for, England or Sri Lanka? Theres no need to do a reverse Neil Pickup on the Lankans....
Heh, neither, actually. I just want the match to be as close as possible. The tighter the contest, the better it is for cricket.

Are you confident enough to put your avatar on the line? I don't know, maybe change it to KP if England have to chase less than 100?
It's a deal if marc agrees to put 'President and founding member of First Chance Average Appreciation Society' in his signature for a month if SL gain a lead of more than 180!

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Barney Rubble said:
My prediction:

England win by 6 wickets at about 5pm tomorrow, having chased down about 140 to win.
I would say that would be very close to the target and Murali may just snaffle a couple with Vaas or Malinga a couple, perhaps as England get the target .

* Hope it will rain though * :laugh:

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
silentstriker said:
I predict an England win by about five wickets, though I am pleasantly suprised by the SL resistance in the second innings.
Me too !!:)

especially by Vandort .

Tom Halsey

International Coach
Well, that was plumb - Pietersen even walked for an LBW I think.

The ball before was interesting - what was it meant to be?