• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in Sri Lanka Thread

Langeveldt

Soutie
DocHead said:
Andre Nel is the best fast bowler impersonator in the world. He's got everything a good quickie needs except pace. Although, having said that, in the last home series they clocked him at 145kph.

Getting back to Boucher vs. Tsolekile (sp?), I'd still stick with Mark for a bit, I'm concerned about lowering the depth we've got in batting when our bowling attack's so poor. Tsolekile isn't too good with willow sadly.

A lot of people have given up on him, but I think Adams needs a good thump around the head, and to knuckle down and start spinning the ball again. He also needs to actually work on adding some guile, he's not a fresh 19yr old anymore. 6 Chinamans an over isn't good enough. He's bowled the one that goes the other way, so we know that he can do it. Ntini's also quite samey all the time. His definition of a slower ball being 2kph off the pace of his fastest needs to be tweaked big time.

We're not going to get it all right in time for India, but we'd better give England a massive snotty or I shall be very annoyed.
Not sure about Paul Adams... Boje is far and away more impressive, and orthodox... Just don't mention Robbie Peterson!

Whats Goolam Bodi doing these days?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
JASON said:
Just happened to notice that Dawson is actually 35!!

Why pick a 35 year old who has only played 16 ODI's to date ?

How would that help their cause?

Shouldn't they be getting some younger players more experienced, so that by the time the next world cup comes around, their experience would help their cause?

Picking 20 year old Jean Paul Duminy was a good forward-thinking selection IMO.
I think the answer is a chronic lack of seamers with any talent... I mean how else can anyone explain Nantie Hayward's recall, or the presence of the two Charls, Willoughby and Langeveldt...

Legglancer

State Regular
Neil Pickup said:
I think the answer is a chronic lack of seamers with any talent... I mean how else can anyone explain Nantie Hayward's recall, or the presence of the two Charls, Willoughby and Langeveldt...
Neil ...... Pardon me for saying that perhaps your observation comes across a tad too harsh or negative. I think SA played this game very well and their was clearly marked improvement in their ovrall performance. Kallis played an absolute Gem ..... you just cant write enough good about him especially the way he timed those crisp drives. Boucher proved once again why you could never write him off. SA were at a disadvantage by the absence of a proper spin contingent which sort of cancelled sri lanka having to bat under lights.
Sri lanka's fielding was definitely not up to par.

In the end it was a great match by both teams which could have gone either way !

Neil Pickup

Fair comment... not seen too much of Hayward in all honesty but he just seems temperamentally short and/or unstable.

Willoughby/Langeveldt/Dawson however are somewhere sub-Simon Francis ;)

Neil Pickup

Legglancer said:
Neil ...... Pardon me for saying that perhaps your observation comes across a tad too harsh or negative. I think SA played this game very well and their was clearly marked improvement in their ovrall performance. Kallis played an absolute Gem ..... you just cant write enough good about him especially the way he timed those crisp drives. Boucher proved once again why you could never write him off. SA were at a disadvantage by the absence of a proper spin contingent which sort of cancelled sri lanka having to bat under lights.
Sri lanka's fielding was definitely not up to par.

In the end it was a great match by both teams which could have gone either way !
I'm just taking the mick out of the depth of seamers and the presence of guys like Dawson in the squad. I've not seen any of the first game and I've nowt against the SA XI - however past the XI, and if they suffered an NZ-like injury crisis, you'd have to worry.

Legglancer

State Regular
Neil Pickup said:
I'm just taking the mick out of the depth of seamers and the presence of guys like Dawson in the squad. I've not seen any of the first game and I've nowt against the SA XI - however past the XI, and if they suffered an NZ-like injury crisis, you'd have to worry.
I see your point however SA still have the likes of Pollock, Nitini, Kallis ect .... I think a more of a concern would be to find a genuine spinner or two IMO. :)

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
Legglancer said:
I see your point however SA still have the likes of Pollock, Nitini, Kallis ect .... I think a more of a concern would be to find a genuine spinner or two IMO. :)
etc.

exactly. That's probably Neil's point - it's no one behind the three. And Boje can spin it enough as long as the pitch turns.

However, the same applies to England...

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Zoysa has ripped through the SA top and middle order with 5 for not many. SA currently 6/70, just past the 25 over mark.

imagine

School Boy/Girl Captain
SL won by 37 runs
Zoysa with a super spell, that eventually spelled doom for Proteas
Zoysa 8-0-26-5 (first five in the batting order, Smith, gibbs, boje, kallis, rudolph)

DocHead

School Boy/Girl Captain
*Groan* :dry:

The Sunday paper has a report about Simons thinking about quitting. Starting to sound more and more like a good idea. Maybe it's time to throw a bag of cash at Bob Woolmer. I know's he at Pakistan now, but they change coaches like socks, I doubt they'd even notice. :D

By the way, Pakistan were fielding like demons against India, much like the way SA used to field before, you know, when Woolmer was coaching them.

kashikooler979

Cricket Spectator
its goood to resign from that job which u could not done. Its for Eric Simmons... Its listen and see quiet disturbing that S A had not chased 213 in the lights of Kallis, Gibbs, Smith, Klusener, and other utility players. 'S A is played good on some bouncing pithes not on turing tracks... They also lose the test series in Pakistan and Win 5 ODI's series 3-2 after winiing 3 continuous 3 Odis (thanks to dippenaar). its quiet difficult to bounce back in Sri series for S A

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Don't count SA off yet. Next 2 ODI's in Dambulla, which favours seamers and its a low scoring ground IIRC. So SA could easily bounce back.

I know there is a tendency to blame the coach, but I feel that Smith's inexperience in Captaincy may be telling now, at a crucial time when they appear to be struggling.

May be time to go back to Pollock or why not consider Kallis for captaincy.

If they did end up losing Simmons, knowing Woolmer is not going to be available, I think they should consider Clive Rice (I believe currently coaching Notts), or else Steve Rixon or Geoff Marsh (who is coming out of Zimbo's contract later this year) or the much prized Dave Whatmore!!

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
marc71178 said:
Or does it reflect how close a fair number of sides are?

I'd like to see why you would say that - based on a 1-1 draw against a much-weakened Australia and a 2-1 win against a notoriously inconsistent Pakistan?
Yes and England's recent wins have come against a much weakened New Zealand team and a notoriously poor WI.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Swervy said:
other than draw wit Australia, really what have India done in the last 18 months to justify a second position????...apart from get murdered by NZ,and beat a relativley poor Pakistan team
A relatively poor Pakistani side ? That was the same Pakistani side that had just beaten New Zealand 1-0 in the Shaky Isles. Far fom a poor side.

GermanShepherd

School Boy/Girl Captain
Swervy said:
results from 4 years ago are irrelevent really...and although India played very well vs Australia last year, Australia were far from at the top of their game...and yet it was still only a drawn series

have we got the right definition of 'expontentially' here...what do you mean by that.

England can only play who is infront of them, and this year they have made destroyed WI (something which India hasnt done) and have well beaten NZ (and although an injury hit NZ team, still a good team) 3-0....when was the last time India won a test vs NZ let alone a series
Funny isn't it....with India's performnaces, you discredit them by saying "the opoosition wasn't playing to their potential" or "was inconsistent" but with England's performances, the opposition was still "good" despite injuries and heck England can only play who's in front of them.

8-) 8-) 8-)