• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* South Africa in New Zealand 2022

Skyliner

International 12th Man
SA went away, got hard, came back with a game-plan, and backed it to the hilt.

NZ complacent mind-set exposed with "oooer....why are they batting first at Hagley, you never do that" and "oooer, why are they playing a spinner?"
as per the TV commentators.
And now we know the reason they did those things. Because with those moves they set up the game, then won the game.
SA top order batted with discipline and guts on the first day, and that was the foundation. The NZ top order was as soft as could be in comparison, and then our bowling came a cropper again in conditions that weren't of the narrow variety - i.e. 'green seamer - that we need in order to compete & win.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm yet to see the highlights, but the fact that four guys fell on the last day pulling seems interesting. I'll reserve judgement, and I suppose it's hard to say too much without the context of how they played.

But yeah, well done to SA. It's easy to say we were inept and at times we were, but a lot of quality out of Erwee, Rabada, Verreynne, Jansen, Maharaj, even Sipamla I thought was outstanding. And Elgar for having the balls to bat first with the order he had at his disposal.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Can we stop this 'SA played a spinner, they're smarter therefore won' BS please?

Ajaz was injured. Ravindra was next cab off the rank and he is a part-timer, and it's very likely he would have played ahead of CdG if he had played. Somerville wouldn't have made a lick of difference and your other option is Santner. Maharaj is a great bowler and SA were right to pick him, but we picked the best XI to win that game. And we performed badly, and lost. All this revisionist BS about a same-same attack, when we had a left armer, a 6 foot 10 bounce bowler and two swing bowlers.

Frost

U19 Debutant
Pretty sure Rachin Ravindra is going to get a chance at opening now with kw at 3 and Conway 4 Nicholls at 5 Mitchell at 6. Pretty solid going foward

Athlai

Not Terrible
Can we stop this 'SA played a spinner, they're smarter therefore won' BS please?

Ajaz was injured. Ravindra was next cab off the rank and he is a part-timer, and it's very likely he would have played ahead of CdG if he had played. Somerville wouldn't have made a lick of difference and your other option is Santner. Maharaj is a great bowler and SA were right to pick him, but we picked the best XI to win that game. And we performed badly, and lost. All this revisionist BS about a same-same attack, when we had a left armer, a 6 foot 10 bounce bowler and two swing bowlers.
Very unusual for us to play two games at the same ground too.

Chubb

International Regular
If Young could have converted one of his 50s into a hundred his place might survive a poor series against a good bowling attack, but as it is, I think he's been exposed.

Meridio

International Regular
If Ravindra's opening going forward, I suppose the question is Young or Mitchell for the final middle order spot? Not sure where I lean on that, I don't think Mitchell's bowling comes into it though he's a big asset at slip.

Flem274*

123/5
Young is a considerably better batsman than Mitchell imo, though Mitchell has surprised me so far. I'd have CdG back ahead of Mitchell as the allrounder too at this stage.

Ravindra is a gun but needs to actually play some shield games.

Latham
-
Williamson
Conway
Nicholls
-
Blundell (just)
-
-
Southee
-

They are the only certainties for mine.

thierry henry

International Coach

Yeah I can’t stand all of this ‘our players actually suck’ and ‘what could you expect from that attack’ BS when talking about a team we know are capable of better. Can we please just focus on the fact that these capable players played like dicks and that’s not ok.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member

yeah there are plenty of things to criticise here but that one ain't it

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
It's hard being a Black Caps fan

Full credit to SA. They bounced back after an abysmal first test with a bunch of players I've never heard of and gave us a fair hiding. I hope they get back on the ascension because they're gun when competitive.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Young is still in our best XI, incidentally. At 4. Latham Conway Kane Young Nicholls Mitchell Blundell CdG Jamieson Boult Southee is probably the best XI to play at Lord's in June. I love Wags but I don't think he's in the best XI with a Duke at Lord's. Henry could push out Jamieson in some people's teams.