• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Oh man, lucky I'm going India tommorow night, work would be torture after this. My phone is already going off right now thanks to ****y Uni mates.

Fair play to South Africa, wish these young quicks fulfill their potential, they're excellent.

R_D

International Debutant
has any team been bowled in less than a session before..... india might be bowled out in less than 20 overs here.

R_D

International Debutant
was hoping for either but i guess not...... there is always Dada i guess. Although must say don't have much confidence in him or Dhoni.... i hold more confidence on Pathan scoring than either of the 2 but i could be proven wrong i guess.
Pathan proves me right:dry:

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
Ha Ha..........much vaunted Indian batting line-up flattened............Lets see what SA manage looks like they will in post lunch or by tea at least.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
they heard you word took us to 76...and he is out after that... you cannot complain now ha ha
I've complained enough already. The top order barr Dravid should go shoot themselves. Unless we by some miracle win this, heads should roll.

sirdj

State Vice-Captain
India gone in under 20 overs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder which idiot chose harbhajan for this test over a Munaf or Ishant for this green pitch.

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
"There is more than one way to be successful. More than one way to be effective."

This is true. If you can score boatloads of runs then it doesnt matter what you do. Whether a player has a different grip like Bradman, hits the ball like Afridi or opens the stance like Chanderpaul the only thing that matters is production.

Howerver, and this is the kicker, the better the technique the more likely to be consistently successful. Players with great handeye co-ordination like a Sehwag or a Fleming look great when everything is going well. However, the importance of technique is that it is something to fall back on and allow success when a little out of sorts. It binds everything together.

The article talks about specific innings. That misses the entire point. Anyone can do anything over 1 innings. That proves nothing.

A great technique isnt a requirement to scoring lots of Test runs but it helps, especailly in the long run.

TBH, this article and my reply is all probably an over reaction to a pretty irrelevant innings in a pretty irrelevant Test match.
Nice post, similar to what I was going to say but you've said it much better than I could.

Back to the game, I had a hunch something like this would happen but this is insane. I was thinking all out for 250 after a top order collapse but this!!!

Last edited:

pasag

RTDAS
Oh man, lucky I'm going India tommorow night, work would be torture after this. My phone is already going off right now thanks to ****y Uni mates.

Fair play to South Africa, wish these young quicks fulfill their potential, they're excellent.
Deserved after the crap you've probably given them after the Australia series :p

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Seen a bit of the footage. In a word, soft. Tough deck but India, geez......

EDIT: The Saffies to put on 400+ now.

Googenheim

U19 12th Man
No. Im suggesting that to point to one successful innings and say "Look, he did well in this innings and therefore technique is unimportant" is wrong. The article didnt say as much, but it implied that its possible to evaluate off one innings.

Chris Gayle has a Test triple and Kallis doesnt even have a double, yet Id take Kallis everyday of the week.

Looking at 1 innings and drawing conclusions is dangerous. Just look at Jason Gillespies last innings. :)
I don't think conclusions are being drawn from one innings. This is the way Sehwag has played all his career.

kingkallis

International Coach
I was just checking some stats on Steyn!

Year 2008

Matches 6
Overs 172 / Maidens 38 / Runs given 496 / Wickets taken 38
Average 13.05 / Economy rate 2.87 / Strike rate 27.2

Year 2007

Matches 7
Overs 217 / Maidens 45 / Runs given 769 / Wickets taken 44
Average 17.47 / Economy rate 3.53 / Strike rate 29.6

In last 13 matches [ 2007 / 2008 ]
Overs 389 / Maidens 83 / Runs given 1265 / Wickets taken 82
Average 15.42 / Economy rate 3.25 / Strike rate 28.46

Thats pretty sensational! You dont get to see these kind of stuff in this batsman dominating era!