• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
If this pitch is your definition of a '**** heap' then you clearly just hate spin bowling.
Show me a pitch where the SA captain is justified in bringing on Elgar in the 9th over of the first day and I will show you a **** heap

cnerd123

likes this
When you know you're going to get a ball with your name on it and you are not sure, it's more optimal to be aggressive and maximise the amount of runs you can score rather than play orthodox, textbook cricket. Don't see what is so outrageous about this.
The fact that these batsmen all feel they can't score runs playing their natural game is an indictment on them and not the pitch. Vijay, Pujara, ABDV all have scored runs this series playing their natural games. Amla and Elgar had more success grinding out runs than playing aggressively.

If no batsman was able to score consistently on these pitches and the highest scores came from batsmen throwing their bat at the ball, then you may have a point. But that clearly hasnt been the case. The pitches are tough, not unplayable.

indiaholic

International Captain
Show me a pitch where the SA captain is justified in bringing on Elgar in the 9th over of the first day and I will show you a **** heap
Lol their best spinners are Tahir, Harmer and Duminy. Who the **** are they supposed to bring on sir?

cnerd123

likes this
I've not written the game off. It's certainly entertaining. The pitch is rubbish though. Test matches shouldn't be finishing in two and a half days.
Blame the batsmen. Not the pitch. I doubt this match would have lasted 5 days even if both sides were filled with Vijay/Pujara/ABDVs, but it would definitely not be in the 4th innings in day 2.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
When you know you're going to get a ball with your name on it and you are not sure, it's more optimal to be aggressive and maximise the amount of runs you can score rather than play orthodox, textbook cricket. Don't see what is so outrageous about this.
*sigh * Then why have Pujara and Vijay got runs by playing normally.

This is about the fifth time I've posted thus.
More than artvandalay actually being correct about that being the optimal batting tactic, I think the batsmen just fall into the trap of thinking he's correct when the pitch is this favourable to bowling.

It's mostly been bad batting.. but I think a lot of the bad batting has been caused by the demons in the pitch. Vijay and have Pujara have scored runs by batting normally because they've resisted the temptation to panic.

I've got no dramas with the pitch personally, but I think just looking at the shots batsmen have been dismissed playing does overlook the factors that influence shot selection.

cnerd123

likes this
Terrible way to analyse the quality of the pitch. First quoting scoreboard stats, now this. How about something more concrete yea?

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll say it again. Everyone agrees 76 was a pathetic effort by SA. Leta assume South Africa had batted a tad competently and got 176 instead. This test match would be hanging in the balance and there would be zero talk about the pitch. South Africa's rubbish first innings batting has completely brainwashed you people.

Last edited:

Gnske

Don't know why they've bothered with Tahir as nightwatchman, missed two straight ones in both his little cameos.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
More than artvandalay actually being correct about that being the optimal batting tactic, I think the batsmen just fall into the trap of thinking he's correct when the pitch is this favourable to bowling.

It's mostly been bad batting.. but I think a lot of the bad batting has been caused by the demons in the pitch. Vijay and have Pujara have scored runs by batting normally because they've resisted the temptation to panic.

I've got no dramas with the pitch personally, but I think just looking at the shots batsmen have been dismissed playing does overlook the factors that influence shot selection.
But the whole point is that they shouldn't influence shot selection ffs. Nowhere near to this extent atleast.

King Pietersen

International Captain
Can just tell Shaun Pollock is getting more and more pissed off with being in this commentary box. He'll be thankful it's going to be over tomorrow.

cnerd123

likes this

If you want to call a pitch that creates doubts in the batsmen's mind a poor pitch, then fine.

Personally for me, pitches that create these doubts and that reward calm-minded, technically sound batsmen is perfect. Overcoming the urge to panic, weathering good bowling, showing patience and discipline are all virtues that Test cricket is about. The batsmen in this game have by and large failed on all those counts.

social

But the whole point is that they shouldn't influence shot selection ffs. Nowhere near to this extent atleast.
They're human

In India's first innings, Vijay (a technically sound and patient test batsmen) received a ball that took a chunk out of the pitch and turned square

Couple of balls later, he ran down the pitch and had a wild slog only to be save from being stumped by feet by an inside edge AND he is apparently the poster-boy of how to bat on this pitch