• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
i can't quite believe duminy has only played 30 tests and averages in the mid 30s
He has had some really bad luck with strange injuries normally during practice.... Also he did struggle against quality `straight` spin bowling for awhile getting out LBW alot.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yep. AB to overtake him overall by the next few months though. Just in insane form right now.
Yeah you can certainly claim that ABdV is and will end up the better player, but thus far ABdV hasn't come that close to matching that astonishing patch Amla had in 2011-2013 where he just could not stop scoring critical tons against quality attacks in all sorts of conditions.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
God, that was dumb from Sivaramakrishnan. Talking about which side of the ball is shiny when it was seam and not swing that did Amla in.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah you can certainly claim that ABdV is and will end up the better player, but thus far ABdV hasn't come that close to matching that astonishing patch Amla had in 2011-2013 where he just could not stop scoring critical tons against quality attacks in all sorts of conditions.
Current AB since 2013 is getting there. Since the home series vs India in 2013-14 he's taken over from Amla and played those crucial knocks almost every series.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The problem with a purple patch is exactly that - it's a patch and it doesn't last. There are a lot of players throughout history who have had tremendous highs, but overall their careers fell short of those who haven't quite had those highs but were far more consistently good for a longer period of time. Even Shoaib Malik had a purple patch this year and managed a double ton. Not equating Amla with him but the point is, your quality has to be judged over a longer period of time, not the 1 year when you were excellent.

Yes because he isn't in form, he's rubbish. What a terrible post.
Never said he is rubbish. Kindly stop putting words in my mouth and making fake arguments. All I said was that he is not as good as ABD which is true for 99% of the batsmen today. Doesn't make the 99% rubbish. Stop living in the world of hyperbole. There is a lot of greatness and excellence between ABD and Mohd Irfan as batsmen.

Last edited:

StephenZA

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Never said he is rubbish. Kindly stop putting words in my mouth and making fake arguments. All I said was that he is not as good as ABD which is true for 99% of the batsmen today. Doesn't make the 99% rubbish. Stop living in the world of hyperbole. There is a lot of greatness and excellence between ABD and Mohd Irfan as batsmen.
The question then is what else was the purpose of the original comment if not to deride Amla?

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
The question then is what else was the purpose of the original comment if not to deride Amla?
No other purpose than to express my thoughts on the two most prolific batsmen in the world today.This is a public forum, we are meant to express our thoughts here right?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
The problem with a purple patch is exactly that - it's a patch and it doesn't last. There are a lot of players throughout history who have had tremendous highs, but overall their careers fell short of those who haven't quite had those highs but were far more consistently good for a longer period of time. Even Shoaib Malik had a purple patch this year and managed a double ton. Not equating Amla with him but the point is, your quality has to be judged over a longer period of time, not the 1 year when you were excellent.

why did you say it though? Like what was the point of the post? He's like the nicest guy in cricket and is going to end up one of the great bats of the last 10 years.

EDIT: I see you just answered it. Was a weird comment tbh

Spark

Global Moderator
And over the long period of time, Amla's Test record is superior. What exactly is the problem here? You can't judge a record based on cricket that hasn't been played yet.