• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa in India 2015

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Duminy a much better ODI cricketer than Morkel, especially in India and in terms of the South African lineup I'd say he's by far the best fit for that number 7 spot.
Yeah Duminy should basically be a lock, but I think you could argue that Morkel might offer more than Miller or Behardien, particularly when the pitch is going to suit fast bowling. Getting twenty overs out of Tahir and Duminy when it's not turning sometimes just doesn't work out; that's when Behardien bowls. And Behardien can't bowl.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Can understand not rating Behardien but he is coming good recently. Performed against NZ and now India. The fifth bowling option sharing between Duminy and Behardien is not the world's worst thing tbh. But you have a point there certainly.
Ye they will topple most other ODI teams with this set-up, just in a world cup scenario vs teams who have more dynamic 5th bowling options/strong batting able to attack 5th bowling - would get the better of them.

PrinceEWS said:
Yeah Duminy should basically be a lock, but I think you could argue that Morkel might offer more than Miller or Behardien, particularly when the pitch is going to suit fast bowling. Getting twenty overs out of Tahir and Duminy when it's not turning sometimes just doesn't work out; that's when Behardien bowls. And Behardien can't bowl.
Yes Duminy obviously his place never in question - Miller/Behardien the vulnerable ones. Morkel instead of one of them at W-Cup earlier this year SA might have won. Now that Morkel's T20 career has been somewhat resurrected, it might help them win T20 W-Cup next year.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Rohit can be a middle-order option - Manjrekar | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo

Would have to disagree with SA test team being suggested that they are not a great side. They certainly are, been the best test team in the world since the end of AUS dynasty in February 2007 - despite faulty ranking system placing England & India as # 1 at various points.

They just are not on a similar level of greatness to Windies 76-91 or AUS 95-2007.

Winning in India is always though, so of course if IND prepare expected pitches and employ a three-man spin attack SA will be challenged. But I would say in previous tours to IND in 2008 & 2010 - SA played well, led series both times and lost at the end to draw series. In general they played spin with a more composure than AUS did in the glory days for example on IND tours in 98 & 2001 - which they lost.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
There is no way on earth that South Afroca have been the best side in the world for all of the last 8 years.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yes they have been, only lost 2 series to AUS since 2007, no other team has a better test record than them in the last 8 years.

cnerd123

likes this
There is no way on earth that South Afroca have been the best side in the world for all of the last 8 years.
Yea they are the best overall, but at certain times other teams have looked and played better.

They're a good should for the best Test side in the world right now tho.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yea they are the best overall, but at certain times other teams have looked and played better.

They're a good should for the best Test side in the world right now tho.
Only team that ever looked better than SA in the last 8 years was AUS when they beat them last year & it was nothing major. Certainly not ENG & IND teams that the ranking system incorrectly said was # 1.

Black_Warrior

Cricketer Of The Year
I know losing a home series will always result in a lot of talk..and there are articles galore about Dhoni and his captaincy and decline and all that. But for anyone who has watched this series fairly closely, it should be clear just how easily the result could have been different just based on a flick of a coin. Had India won the toss and scored even in the vicinity of 280-290, this would have been 3-2 in their favour.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Ryan ten Doeschate really would have been perfect in that role of batting 6 and bowling ~5 overs per game:

Amla, de Kock, du Plessis, de Villiers, Duminy, ten Doeschate, Miller, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Ryan ten Doeschate really would have been perfect in that role of batting 6 and bowling ~5 overs per game:

Amla, de Kock, du Plessis, de Villiers, Duminy, ten Doeschate, Miller, Philander, Steyn, Morkel, Tahir.
Haha yeah I'm pretty sure I mentioned this right before the WC.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Initially I was against picing Aaron, but now given Bhuvneshwar has become a poorer bowler by concentrating more on pace (and Ishant is banned) I'd pick Aaron for Mohali. It will be a very very tough match. Mohali pitch will suit SA the best in India.

This will be my team for Mohali:
Dhawan
Vijay
Pujara
Kohli
Rahane
Saha
Binny
Ashwin
Mishra
Yadav
Aaron

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Yadav-Aaron together don't work. Haven't in the past either. And it's not like they are much better now. Umesh is slightly better I think. Should be Mohit-Yadav.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Yadav-Aaron together don't work. Haven't in the past either. And it's not like they are much better now. Umesh is slightly better I think. Should be Mohit-Yadav.
Mohali pitch will suit Aaron. Mohit is faaar from being test standard.

cnerd123

likes this
Mohali pitch will suit Aaron. Mohit is faaar from being test standard.
Mohit is closer to Test standard than Aaron. He's got decent control, moves the ball, not too slow.

I really don't get all this Mohit hate. Makes no sense. He isn't flashy but that doesn't make him rubbish. What are you guys seeing in his bowling that makes you all hate him so much? He's a prefectly fine bowler to me. Not international quality, but certainly better than Aaron and an off-colour Yadav.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Dinda has been bowling well this season. Pace in the 130s as well. Would be a better option than Aaron at this stage as you never know what you will get with Aaron. Obviously not going to happen.

Mohit is a better option than Aaron at this stage, yeah. Agree. Pitches it in good lines. Can swing it.

cnerd123

likes this
Mohit is a poor man's Matt Henry. Slower, not as accurate and doesnt move it as much. But he's still pretty good given our options.

smash84

The Tiger King
Dinda has been bowling well this season. Pace in the 130s as well. Would be a better option than Aaron at this stage as you never know what you will get with Aaron. Obviously not going to happen.

Dinda? You mean the guy who Ganguly has been peddling for some time (and who seemed pretty ordinary)?