• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

susudear

Banned
Hughes inexperience

I still think Hayden's one of the best two (fit) Test openers in the country. You could make a case for dropping him for Jaques given his record, but Jaques isn't fit and people want Hughes picked. Now Hughes is obviously a good young player, but picking someone after they've only played sixteen First Class games is something you should only do when you're desperate (unless they average 100 with the bat or 15 with the ball - neither of which Hughes has done) and that's far from the case with Australia at the moment.
I read somewhere a comparison between Phil Hughes and Ian Craig, who was initiated into test cricket at the ripe old age of 17. As if the conditions were the same, and as if Ian Craig was a success.

In fact I am quite glad that the wiser minds have prevailed and decided to give Hayden the run he deserves. A parallel can be seen in Rahul Dravid of India, who has survived despite a barren run for almost 2 years. And considering the alternatives, and unless Australia do a Sehwag on Hussay and elevate him to opening, I don't see any reason for shedding Hayden for now.

However that said, if Hayden continues to flop in SA also (assuming he gets selected), it remains to be seen whether he would make it to the Ashes. And at 37-38, comebacks are extremely rare.

pup11

International Coach
The fact that people are actually admitting these are the reasons they want him dropped leaves me bashing my head against the wall. I know that's the case, but that's a long way from actually being a good reason to drop someone.

Assuming that the team needs to be changed after you lose a series is really the height of arrogance - sometimes the other team is just better. Whilst I'll admit the selectors have made some shocking decisions recently, sticking with Hayden is one thing they've got spot on.

I still think Hayden's one of the best two (fit) Test openers in the country. You could make a case for dropping him for Jaques given his record, but Jaques isn't fit and people want Hughes picked. Now Hughes is obviously a good young player, but picking someone after they've only played sixteen First Class games is something you should only do when you're desperate (unless they average 100 with the bat or 15 with the ball - neither of which Hughes has done) and that's far from the case with Australia at the moment.
Yup spot on, but it could get hot under the collar for the selectors if Hayden doesn't comeback into some sort of form soon.

Anyways what i don't like about the current crop of selectors is that they seem to be very mechanical in their decision making, its almost like they have decided we will have 5 batsmen, 1 all-rounder and keeper, 3 quicks (and only one of them can be a left armer), and 1 spinner.

Now that's a very good combination to have given you have the right guys to fill those slots, but Aussie selectors atm just aren't willing to adapt with the given circumstances, just because Symonds and Watson got injured and you have the all-rounder slot vacant, you need not necessarily need to draft in another all-rounder into the side, Australia would have done really well picking David Hussey or North to replace Symonds, because somewhere down the line the Aussie selectors have failed to realise, that even though the lack of consistent penetrative bowling has been the main issue, the Aussie batsmen too have let down the team at crucial times in both the games.

There has been a lot of talk also regarding whether Australia need to play with an all-out pace attack, but imo they should first look at the fact whether the three quicks they are playing are good enough or not in the first place, rather than thinking about adding another quickie into the attack, because given the fact Aussies pick the right fast bowlers, three quicks would be good enough to do the job most of the times, but if there isn't any help from the track for the seamers then having an extra seamer won't help much either, Hauritz has done a decent job and what' been done to Krejza or Casson or Noffke shouldn't be done to him, he needs be given the buffer of a few games as he has shown ample proof that given the fast bowlers can do their job efficiently he can prove handy too.

Its going to be tough period for Australia and some patience on part of the selectors would be required, they need to flexible enough to cope with the present situation,and show faith in core group of players who they think are good enough to get the job done.

pup11

International Coach
It's all shaping up for Warnies captaining return for the Ashes, if you ask me, solves the spinner and captain problem in one......
As much as i would love to see him back, he making a comeback would be no solution for Australia, ok if he comes back, he would be around for one or two years at the most, and he might also lift Australia' performances for that given period, but still Australia would have to eventually go through this phase at some point of time, so its best Australian think-tank bites the bullet now and accept the present situation for what it is and prepare for the future ala 1983-84 .

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
As much as i would love to see him back, he making a comeback would be no solution for Australia, ok if he comes back, he would be around for one or two years at the most, and he might also lift Australia' performances for that given period, but still Australia would have to eventually go through this phase at some point of time, so its best Australian think-tank bites the bullet now and accept the present situation for what it is and prepare for the future ala 1983-84 .
Well, if he does do that, then it's 2 years more 3-4 other pace bowlers have matured and can maybe handle carrying a fledgling spinner. Which is much more ideal than them doing it now.

Chimpdaddy

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Yes Pup, I agree with your choices for David Hussey or North to play instead of an average all-rounder. Batters are their to put runs on the board. And aside from the odd batting performance here and there (Ponting, Haddin and Clarke) the tail has done alot of wagging.

With the bowling attack. I think it really depends what we are playing for. If we are playing for the future, and giving Hauritz time and experience to develop into a quality spin bowler then your right in picking him in for the side. We will probably end up losing more games in the short-term but he has shown some potential, and might be a good investment.
If we want to win the game in Sydney, the simple point is that we pick our best 11 to play. IMO that does not inlcude any current spinner playing at a national level. I would like to see both Hilfenhouse (spelling??) and Bollinger play in Sydney with Johnson and Siddle. Siddle is a little inconsistent for my liking, so if we were going to drop anyone for Hauritz, he would be the one. This is a dead rubber. Lets change things up, try some variety.

-Chimpdadddy-

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Dave Hussey. Kolkata has prepared him well. :ph34r:
Don't think Kolkata will be too pleased with Australia trying to poach away their Bengali homeboy :ph34r: Besides, we can already see how homesickness for Chennai is causing a dip in Michael Hussey's performances.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The fact that people are actually admitting these are the reasons they want him dropped leaves me bashing my head against the wall. I know that's the case, but that's a long way from actually being a good reason to drop someone.

Assuming that the team needs to be changed after you lose a series is really the height of arrogance - sometimes the other team is just better. Whilst I'll admit the selectors have made some shocking decisions recently, sticking with Hayden is one thing they've got spot on.

That isn't how it usually works tho. Cricket, being so stats friendly, clearly points when players are having a rough trot of it. When a team is under the cosh, underperformers are probably given a bit less latitude generally, but it's usually form that dictates.

Hayden's past performances have obviously given him a lot of credit in the bank, but surely there has to be a limit to selectorial genorosity?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I thought Gideon was pretty much on the money..

One thing about next years ashes though.. it won't be as fun watching them dismantle a weak Australian side as it was in 2005 when they destroyed a full strength unit..

Bit sad. :huh:
Yeah, that's why we lost all the games where McGrath played...

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Ronald and Bollinger in for Symonds and Lee? With Hilfenhaus third man one would guess.

Barring a time machine, I don't think anyone would believe that a week ago I thought that McDonald's name might get thrown about for selection (albeit for ODIs).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
McGrath would have meant us winning by more @ edgbaston anyway, no way he'd have been at the crease for long enough for the whole of England to collectively **** themselves :ph34r:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Given their form in India just 8 months previously, an attack comprising Kasprowicz and Gillespie should have been good enough.

England would have romped it at Old Trafford had it not been for rain, despite the presence of McGrath.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
My experience on CW tells me that the counter to that argument is that McGrath wasn't fully fit.

My counter to that is who gives a ****, England rule :ph34r:

Prad100w

U19 Cricketer
English tails are up again, once they found out Australians are no more the force which ****ed them until 2006..I don't know what they can rule with such a mediocre team.8-)

Furball

Evil Scotsman
English tails are up again, once they found out Australians are no more the force which ****ed them until 2006..I don't know what they can rule with such a mediocre team.8-)
Haha, being realistic there's not a chance in hell that England will win the Ashes next year.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Sorry, what was I thinking, we don't rule, I apologise