• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

tooextracool

International Coach
:huh:

Last i checked, he got four.
He also bowled 50+ overs. Cant say that the wickets that he took were of particularly special deliveries either. There are times when bowlers pick up wickets through sheer luck and there are other times when they do because they actually deserve them and in Hauritz case it was the former.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Gotta love Haydos, still sledging Graeme Smith to the end. I say sledge, the only thing I was picking up was ******. Smith should have said when he was out, "I'll see you in Sydney..."
Eloquent to the end. I wonder how many series losses it'll take before it starts becoming embarrassing. Want that to happen badly.

As for Ponting, his field placings and bowling rotations made no sense. Australia need Ponting the batsman, not so much Ponting the captain.

They need someone like Allan Border at the helm at the moment. That ain't Clarke. And I'm not sure if there is anyone else at the moment, so I don't see any choice except to stick with Ponting.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Mitchell Johnson summarizes the attitude of the Australian selectors tbh- bowl tight and hope that batsmen will play stupid shots. Well this isnt NZ or the WI and thats not going to happen. My advice is to pick bowlers who have the potential to take 20 wickets, even if it means picking someone along the lines of Shaun Tait.
I think you're being a little harsh on Johnson. The guy obviously has something about him given how many wickets he gets with catches behind the wicket bowling to right-handed batsmen. And I'm not talking so much about people who go chasing a wide half-volley (though they are wickets too), but he also gets them with people playing defensive shots around off-stump. He's obviously a pretty tricky bowler to face when he's angling it across you, and gets some movement off the wicket at times. He's far from a complete package but he's a long way from the biggest problem Australia have in their attack right now.

I think the real issue is that Hauritz' role in the team, which is to bowl fairly defensively and become an attacking option when there's some turn isn't much good when your other bowlers aren't taking wickets. There's some potential there with Bollinger coming in though, given that Siddle wasn't too bad in Melbourne. If the rest of the attack bowls well I think Hauritz will look a lot better, like he did on the second day in the recent test. He's not going to run through any teams though, he's really more of an Ashley Giles than a Shane Warne, needless to say.

I still think he did better then Krejza though and deserves the spot if they want a spinner. There really isn't a better spin bowler in the country right now other than possibly McGain, who isn't fit. If they don't pick a spinner, you have the same problem if the seamers aren't getting wickets, don't have that controlling option and don't have anything to go to if the ball is turning. I think Hauritz could have made a difference in Perth, for example, given how many runs Krejza went for.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
I'd go four-man pace attack with Symonds and Clarke making up the slow bowling, but Ponting wants a spinner in there and Hauritz has done enough to justify his selection for sure.
Ponting wanting something doesnt exactly make it the right decision though. Hauritz should never have been selected and neither should Krejza so at the end of the day its hard to justify why you'd want to make the same mistake again. When you pick poor bowlers, the worst scenario that can happen is that they take wickets and then you are stuck with having to play them again.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Eloquent to the end. I wonder how many series losses it'll take before it starts becoming embarrassing. Want that to happen badly.

As for Ponting, his field placings and bowling rotations made no sense. Australia need Ponting the batsman, not so much Ponting the captain.

They need someone like Allan Border at the helm at the moment. That ain't Clarke. And I'm not sure if there is anyone else at the moment, so I don't see any choice except to stick with Ponting.

It's all shaping up for Warnies captaining return for the Ashes, if you ask me, solves the spinner and captain problem in one......

pasag

RTDAS

Katich.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, he's got the "troubled soul with the weight of the world on my shoulders" look down but IMO he's just not angry enough to do anything about it, and certainly not to drag a whole team kicking and screaming with him.

pasag

RTDAS
Nah, he's got the "troubled soul with the weight of the world on my shoulders" look down but IMO he's just not angry enough to do anything about it, and certainly not to drag a whole team kicking and screaming with him.
Catch the India series? Was heaps angreh there.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Catch the India series? Was heaps angreh there.
Touche - had forgotten about that.

Still couldn't see him firing up this team and moulding them in his image in the manner of an AB, but that's just IMO. I'm sure he'd have plenty of supporters.

susudear

Banned
Siddle

I just watched day 5's highlights on Foxtel.

Siddle bowled a good spell with the old ball didn't he? Didn't notice when I was at the ground, but he bowled with a good bit of shape. Bit too little too late, and not necessarily that threatening (though McKenzie was set and Amla's a machine), but there's something there for sure.
In that short spell, he looked quite good. Sometimes could not control his inswing into McKenzie, probably because of the windy conditions. He mixed away going delivery among his inswingers well. As I said earlier, he is getting better every match, and could be a Hughesy kind of bowler in the years to come.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Then I wouldn't have a huge issue if the selectors dropped him. But if it was up to me I'd back a guy that was our best batsmen not a year ago and show some faith. One would expect that if the axing is on the agenda he would be announcing his 'retirement' some time this week.
Yeah, I agree with this strongly. I'm far from a Hayden fan in the grand scheme of things - in fact I'd rather watch Ashley Giles bat than him - but I'm sure he and indeed many others over the years have had similar poor runs of form without having their place questioned to the ridiculous extent is has been with Hayden. He's quite clearly having a bad run but that happens to everyone - it doesn't mean he's declined or that all he's done before is suddenly worthless. What we're talking about here is just two poor series in a row amongst a career where he established himself as the number one opener on his generation... and the second series hasn't even finished yet!

I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue at all if he wasn't over 35 or if the team was winning. Despite what so many people, particularly those in the media, seem to think, it's quite possible for players to have form slumps in their mid 30s when the team is struggling without it meaning they've declined massively and need to have their careers ended.

You'd think fans would actually realise that we don't automatically have a huge pile of ready-made replacement for our aging stars after seeing what happened when McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist and Langer left, but instead they think the answer is to end the career of another established world class player before he even wants to go. It might be a bit different if Jaques was fit, but when the most popular answer seems to be picking someone who has only played sixteen First Class games, it's just madness.

susudear

Banned
Of course

I thought Gideon was pretty much on the money..

One thing about next years ashes though.. it won't be as fun watching them dismantle a weak Australian side as it was in 2005 when they destroyed a full strength unit..

Bit sad. :huh:
The same could be said of the English attacks of the 90s.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Its amazing to think that Daniel Vettori would probably romp into the Aussie team now, certainly wouldn't have even contemplated that thought a few years ago.
Haha good point
Yeah, I agree with this strongly. I'm far from a Hayden fan in the grand context of things - in fact I'd rather watch Ashley Giles bat than him - but I'm sure he and indeed many others over the years have had similar poor runs of form without having their place questioned to the ridiculous extent is has been with Hayden. He's quite clearly having a bad run but that happens to everyone - it doesn't mean he's declined or that all he's done before is suddenly worthless. What we're talking about here is just two poor series in a row amongst a career where he established himself as the number one opener on his generation... and the second series hasn't even finished yet!
Three series in a row... Indian series too.

susudear

Banned
Everyone needs blood

Yeah, I agree with this strongly. I'm far from a Hayden fan in the grand context of things - in fact I'd rather watch Ashley Giles bat than him - but I'm sure he and indeed many others over the years have had similar poor runs of form without having their place questioned to the ridiculous extent is has been with Hayden. He's quite clearly having a bad run but that happens to everyone - it doesn't mean he's declined or that all he's done before is suddenly worthless. What we're talking about here is just two poor series in a row amongst a career where he established himself as the number one opener on his generation... and the second series hasn't even finished yet!

I'm sure it wouldn't be an issue at all if he wasn't over 35 or if the team was winning. Despite what so many people, particularly those in the media, seem to think, it's quite possible for players to have form slumps in their mid 30s when the team is struggling without meaning they've declined massively and need to have their careers ended.

You'd think fans would actually realise that we don't automatically have a huge pile of ready-made replacement for our aging stars after seeing what happened when McGrath, Warne, Gilchrist and Langer left, but instead they think the answer is to end the career another established world class player before he even wants to go. It might be a bit different if Jaques was fit, but when the most popular answer seems to be picking someone who has only played sixteen First Class games, it's just madness.
Especially when the team has lost two series in the span of 3 months. There has to someone who can be the whipping boy. And Hayden has not exactly helped his cause.

If fingers need to be pointed there are mainly two guys, Hayden and Lee who have underperformed so badly. Lee is injured and escapes the castigation. That leaves only Hayden.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Especially when the team has lost two series in the span of 3 months. There has to someone who can be the whipping boy. And Hayden has not exactly helped his cause.

If fingers need to be pointed there are mainly two guys, Hayden and Lee who have underperformed so badly. Lee is injured and escapes the castigation. That leaves only Hayden.
The fact that people are actually admitting these are the reasons they want him dropped leaves me bashing my head against the wall. I know that's the case, but that's a long way from actually being a good reason to drop someone.

Assuming that the team needs to be changed after you lose a series is really the height of arrogance - sometimes the other team is just better. Whilst I'll admit the selectors have made some shocking decisions recently, sticking with Hayden is one thing they've got spot on.

I still think Hayden's one of the best two (fit) Test openers in the country. You could make a case for dropping him for Jaques given his record, but Jaques isn't fit and people want Hughes picked. Now Hughes is obviously a good young player, but picking someone after they've only played sixteen First Class games is something you should only do when you're desperate (unless they average 100 with the bat or 15 with the ball - neither of which Hughes has done) and that's far from the case with Australia at the moment.