• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** South Africa In Australia

pup11

International Coach
Well done South Africa, very well played when it really mattered the most, captained very well from the front by a confident a Graeme Smith, though the series has been brilliantly contested, but still from an Aussie POV its been very disappointing to see the team go down from very commanding positions in both the tests, but hopefully they would go back lick their wounds and comeback as a stronger and more resilient side and the new year might bring a change in the fortunes for Ponting and the Australian team.

Beleg

International Regular
iconic moment really.

i hope the likes of rhodes, hudson, cullinan, donald, richardson, pollock and the old brigade feel vindicated.

congrats, SA.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the Channel 9 guys are anywhere near as upset as some people on here seem to think. The only ones with a big hardon for Australia are Healy and Lawry, and Lawry's mostly just tongue in cheek I think.

Greig and Chappell would be pretty happy to see Australia lose I'd imagine, and Nicholas and Benaud are probably more pure professionals.

Anyway, South Africa have been really excellent throughout. Well-rounded attack, every batsman except McKenzie has contributed at crucial times, and their fielding and general approach has been superb. Australia's batting has been disappointing and their attack has been up and down, more or less as expected. The injuries to Lee and Symonds certainly haven't helped.

The highest overall quality of test cricket I've seen since the '05 Ashes I think, and just like in that series, there have been moments where Australia have been on top and the result could even have been 2-0 the other way at this point in time, but the key moments have belonged to South Africa. For so long, Australia have dominated not always by winning every moment and every session, but by peaking at the right time and outlasting the opposition over five days. That's exactly what South Africa have done in this series. Conceding a first innings lead and then chasing over 400 in Perth they stayed in it, and with 6 wickets down and more than 200 behind in Melbourne they did the same thing. Well deserved wins.

I have a feeling Australia might win in Sydney and Hayden will do enough to keep his career going, if he wants to. Will be interesting to see though. If only Watson was fit.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Damn, losing Watto his huge, LOL dont tell me son got injured because of lack of game time.

Following this fellow McDonald in FC cricket over the years (given i have not seen him) he has never come across to me as potential test match player at all. Much more ODI style though.

I won't bother second guessing these selectors though. But i don't see the point in picking McDonald as the "all-rounder" for Sydney with the series gone. Just keep it simple, any revamping of the team balance be done for the SA tour no now..

God help these selectors..

Craig

World Traveller
I don't think the Channel 9 guys are anywhere near as upset as some people on here seem to think. The only ones with a big hardon for Australia are Healy and Lawry, and Lawry's mostly just tongue in cheek I think.

Greig and Chappell would be pretty happy to see Australia lose I'd imagine, and Nicholas and Benaud are probably more pure professionals.

Anyway, South Africa have been really excellent throughout. Well-rounded attack, every batsman except McKenzie has contributed at crucial times, and their fielding and general approach has been superb. Australia's batting has been disappointing and their attack has been up and down, more or less as expected. The injuries to Lee and Symonds certainly haven't helped.

The highest overall quality of test cricket I've seen since the '05 Ashes I think, and just like in that series, there have been moments where Australia have been on top and the result could even have been 2-0 the other way at this point in time, but the key moments have belonged to South Africa. For so long, Australia have dominated not always by winning every moment and every session, but by peaking at the right time and outlasting the opposition over five days. That's exactly what South Africa have done in this series. Conceding a first innings lead and then chasing over 400 in Perth they stayed in it, and with 6 wickets down and more than 200 behind in Melbourne they did the same thing. Well deserved wins.

I have a feeling Australia might win in Sydney and Hayden will do enough to keep his career going, if he wants to. Will be interesting to see though. If only Watson was fit.
I would have said McKenzie getting a 50 and being not out was crucial, no?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
McDonald won't play in Sydney unless Symonds is injured. It'll be Bollinger in for Lee and that's it. In fact, even if Symonds is injured I expect they'd call up another batsman.

The funny thing about Australia's attack in this series is that there's actually some pretty positive signs long-term. Johnson was immense in Perth and Siddle and Hauritz have both shown a bit here, and it shouldn't be forgotten how well they bowled on Day 2.

If Clark is fit for South Africa, whether or not Lee is, and with Bollinger getting a chance in Sydney, there's definitely some options there which could lead to a pretty good attack. That's why Watson's injury is so disappointing, if you threw him in there batting in the top order and bowling a bit, that could be pretty dangerous.

inbox24

International Debutant
I think the players should be selecting the selectors at this point. Does anyone have the contact details of the selectors and/or their families? So pissed off at them they are definitely the worst in the world. What does it take for them to lose their jobs.

Protean

State Regular
Don't think I could ask for a better start to the day than this. So proud of the team for finally pulling it all together and performing when it mattered. I know this isn't the best Australian side but still, feels awesome :D