• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official***Semi-Final #2- South Africa vs Australia - November 16th - Eden Gardens, Kolkata (D/N)

Gob

International Coach
Only way Marcus over Marnus makes sense is if its a dead road of a wicket and Australia top order off to a really good start like 250 for 2 after 40. There isn't much use for Marnus in that scenario but it's not the most likely situation for Aus to be in against India or SA

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Don't bet on them not doing something silly to retain Stoinis either.
I don't see it. If Smith had failed again, then maybe. But he cruised to a 50no. They're not dropping Smith for Stoinis. Marnus has been a solid contributor with the bat and add in that Marnus gave them a welcome reminder that his fielding is absolutely worthy of being a factor in a Marnus vs Stoinis selection. I just don't see them dropping Marnus. Mmarsh getting pumped around the park with the ball the only thing in Stoinis favour

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He's more likely to make runs on turners than anyone else in the team except Maxwell. And more likely to make runs against good bowling in general. Dropping him for a WC KO game is attempted suicide. Especially if the alternative is Marcus Stoinis ffs.

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
I don't see it. If Smith had failed again, then maybe. But he cruised to a 50no. They're not dropping Smith for Stoinis. Marnus has been a solid contributor with the bat and add in that Marnus gave them a welcome reminder that his fielding is absolutely worthy of being a factor in a Marnus vs Stoinis selection. I just don't see them dropping Marnus. Mmarsh getting pumped around the park with the ball the only thing in Stoinis favour
Agree , Stoinis is keeping the seat warm for Maxwell.

Gob

International Coach
Proof that none of you blokes actually watched that video. Skull and Rad Haddin both left out Stoinis in their respective line ups. It was probably the first instance in recent times that some actual pundits pointed out how hopeless Stoin is

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
Proof that none of you blokes actually watched that video. Skull and Rad Haddin both left out Stoinis in their respective line ups. It was probably the first instance in recent times that some actual pundits pointed out how hopeless Stoin is
I watched it they were brutal on Stoinis, Haddin pulled out a gem of a stat ..Stoinis has yet to score a 50 since 2019

Gob

International Coach
That being said, its becoming increasingly unlikely that we get full 100 overs due to bad weather. If there is a possibility of curtailing the number of overs significantly (say closer to a t20 than to a 50 over game), they might consider Stoinis

Flem274*

123/5
He's more likely to make runs on turners than anyone else in the team except Maxwell. And more likely to make runs against good bowling in general. Dropping him for a WC KO game is attempted suicide. Especially if the alternative is Marcus Stoinis ffs.
Agreed. World Cup knockouts, specifically semis and the final, are when you should be willing to go with your more test oriented players if you have a selection decision to make. You need batsmen who can bat through a top quality spell from one or more world class bowlers.

Gob

International Coach
I watched it they were brutal on Stoinis, Haddin pulled out a gem of a stat ..Stoinis has yet to score a 50 since 2019
And its not like he was batting 7 and not getting opportunities either. I'm pretty sure he was tried up in the order fair few times. He was also out in the middle when Aus lost 5 for not many few times too (twice in this WC). Just did not look up for it

Kenneth Viljoen

International Debutant
That being said, its becoming increasingly unlikely that we get full 100 overs due to bad weather. If there is a possibility of curtailing the number of overs significantly (say closer to a t20 than to a 50 over game), they might consider Stoinis
After what happened in the NZ vs SL game , I wouldn't trust any weather forecasts from India.