• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
The best results pitch in England is easily Old Trafford because it genuinely does have something for everyone. Spinners enjoy it, fast bowlers can get bounce and movement out of it and batsmen love it too. So what do England do? Give Wales a Test match instead on one of the deadest pitches ever. A pitch were Monty Panesar was made to look like Len Hutton.
Yeah, the 2005 and one against the West Indies a few years ago were definately very lively for the bowlers.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
This pitch is looking like death to bowlers. Ahh well at least there's the Open and the series will still be level when I go to Edgbaston. All this talk of Harmison being picked for the first two matches, but I bet he's secretly delighted he hasn't been.

91Jmay

International Coach
Cook started dreadfully, his technique (which is pretty poor anyway) was all over the shop. He is getting abit better though. Head getting into line more and his leaves are improving.

JBH001

International Regular
Let me translate that for you: "You may think this is boring as hell on a graveyard pitch, but we have some great ads lined up for the next five days and them businessmen will kill me if I don't pretend to be excited and do my best to lure you in".

I like Grump Mode. License to whine, and I'll look really smug on Monday when the match ends with 1500 runs scored and 9 wickets taken.
Ha, its a good thing then that the time difference means I only watch the first session! :p

Johnson returns.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
Probably going to end up looking stupid for this but Johnson to have a good match, I think he is climbing into his action very well.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Strauss is basically standing infront of the stumps and waiting for Mitchell Johnson's 91mph delievery to get to him so that he can flick it off his hips. Shocking.

JBH001

International Regular
Yeah, but there's so many technically better players averaging less than him. And it's not like he's a real flat-track bully either, he's scored runs when no one else does plenty of times. Shows how much the technical side of batting is overrated IMO.
Dont know, dude. I havent really followed Cook enough over his careeer to really comment. But as something of a technical purist, especially with regards to opening bats, I dislike all that groping around off stump on the front foot. Makes me cringe a little.

Craig

World Traveller
For the fast bowling experts, do you agree with Beefy that Johnson is struggling with bowling with a Duke ball (ie higher seam on the ball) since he doesn't have a lot of experience with it?

simmy

International Regular
It's nerves I am sure.

When he gets going even the purists will agree he looks good.

91Jmay

International Coach
For the fast bowling experts, do you agree with Beefy that Johnson is struggling with bowling with a Duke ball (ie higher seam on the ball) since he doesn't have a lot of experience with it?
He isn't a good leaver at all. Which is a cardinal sin for an Opening bat.

Looking at this pitch, Steve Harminson coming in and trying to bowl bouncers would be dreadful. Good call selectors.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Cook started dreadfully, his technique (which is pretty poor anyway) was all over the shop. He is getting abit better though. Head getting into line more and his leaves are improving.
Whilst he's technique is dreadful atm, he's only 24 and is averaging roughly 45 already. To do that with a poor technique is a sign of a good player tbh.

JBH001

International Regular
Didnt Vaas have trouble with the duke ball too? From recollection his record in England is awful.