• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* Second Test at Lords

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
One of a series of great posts from you today if I may say so.

The only way in which I am tempted to disagree is that it amuses me that the opulent powerhouse that is Lancashire CCC no longer have a Test match ground.
We'll be back, new stand is well under way (though from the plans the new ground will be aesthetically horrible)

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
McDonald on...making his Ashes debut :happy:

Funny Bumble bringing up the substitute rule. England made it a speciality of theirs in 2005.
Though it must be noted that the infamous run out by a substitute in 2005 was the stand in for Simon Jones who has not played a Test match since, so perhaps he had a bit of a niggle.

wfdu_ben91

International 12th Man
Maybe because averages aren't everything? Anyone could see his figures flattered him
So you say his stats flatter him, but yet other people want to make assumptions that his stats equal to higher success in another country when Australian pitches are about 5 times more pacey then the last 2 Tests in England?

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
Maybe because averages aren't everything? Anyone could see his figures flattered him
Mate averages are everything to Ben. If a player averages .01 more than another player then he is instantly the better player no questions asked. Aint that right Benjamin?

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year
We'll be back, new stand is well under way (though from the plans the new ground will be aesthetically horrible)
But by then you'll also be competing with the mighty rebuilt Hove, with a new stand that can accommodate a full 300 people, plus a few new deckchairs at the Cromwell Road End, and a refurbished Jim Parks Bar.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Though it must be noted that the infamous run out by a substitute in 2005 was the stand in for Simon Jones who has not played a Test match since, so perhaps he had a bit of a niggle.
Ah, maybe I should have been a bit clearer. I was actually referring to England's bowlers being on and off the ground like yo-yo's after they finished spells. Not a major issue, just thought it was funny that Bumble brought up the fact that you're supposed to be injured for the substitute fielder to be on in light of that.

91Jmay

International Coach
On the flip side, his technique was originally exposed during the 2006/07 Ashes and to this day he's still showing the same technical weaknesses that Clark, McGrath and later Zaheer Khan and Ganguly exposed over 2 years earlier. Not a very quick learner is he?

Wouldn't really give much though to his average tbh. When hes scored runs, they have been on some of the flattest tracks in the world (wouldn't be surprised if he scored here) and when hes got big scores hes usually had at least 2-3 letoffs on the way there.
That last point is ridiculous, he has had the same amount of let offs as he has bad decisions. Thats the way cricket is.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah, when people see a player succeed with technical flaws they define a flat pitch as any pitch they score on.

Pizzorno

State Vice-Captain
I'm amazed at the success Johnson has had with such a horrid seam position. It's schoolboy stuff to get your seam position straight; I can do it and i'm completely gash.

For all the talk about Cook's technical deficiencies, Johnson has an equally worrying one.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Yeah, when people see a player succeed with technical flaws they define a flat pitch as any pitch they score on.
Err if Cook is a success, then one has to question what on earth you have been watching. He is a classic example against what you seem to claim, in that his technical weaknesses have actually hindered him from being a successful test match opener.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
So you say his stats flatter him, but yet other people want to make assumptions that his stats equal to higher success in another country when Australian pitches are about 5 times more pacey then the last 2 Tests in England?
I was just talking about his stats from last week

simmy

International Regular
Err if Cook is a success, then one has to question what on earth you have been watching. He is a classic example against what you seem to claim, in that his technical weaknesses have actually hindered him from being a successful test match opener.
And yet he averages 45...