• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Official Rugby Thread

Chin Music

State Regular
That's a lot more live FTA sport than in the UK really.

Rugby does still have the 6 Nations on FTA which I think is one of the protected events from ever going behind a paywall (Wimbledon, World Cups and Olympics basically the others). There appears to be a solid enough junior club structure in the country to keep the grass roots maintained, probably helped by the paywall money feeding through. But the best players do still seem to come out of the private schools.

Are the number of clubs in Aus dwindling?
English international football appears to be largely on domestic tv as well outside the tournaments.

Heboric

International Debutant
Still dont understand why IRB gave Australia the World Cup in 2027. Seeing as the ongoing consensus here is that no one is going to pitch for the games. So the whole event will be played in front of empty stadiums or maybe one guy and his sheep :ph34r:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Rugby does still have the 6 Nations on FTA which I think is one of the protected events from ever going behind a paywall (Wimbledon, World Cups and Olympics basically the others). There appears to be a solid enough junior club structure in the country to keep the grass roots maintained, probably helped by the paywall money feeding through. But the best players do still seem to come out of the private schools.

I'm really not qualified to comment on the state of club rugby, though it was never a big deal as a tv sport even before Super Rugby. The broader interest was in interstate games then test matches. Super Rugby should have seen the game really go gangbusters here, because you had rep sides playing every week for like 2-3 months or whatever in the lead up to the test match season, but they scuppered it by paywalling it as it was taking off and in an era where the Aus teams were still (mostly) competitive.

Just terrible, terrible administration. And the culture surrounding it here is pretty toxic. My uncle (who's also my godfather as it happens) coached the Waratahs for three or four years. Got them to the finals two or three times and runners up once iirc, yet had to cop ****wit GPS wanker writers complaining in the Herald that while they were winning, they weren't apparently entertaining enough. He said he couldn't believe the amount of bull**** which went on behind the scenes and all the agendas.

I guess I'm old fashioned, but I tend to think a dour 6-3 Bledisloe Cup or Super Rugby final win is better than a 45-36 loss. Then again, I used to enjoy tackling people and tried not to be a turnstile.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Social Jr went to a school that has produced numerous Wallabies

Not one elite junior from his year or the one prior plays rugby anymore as they’re all playing league or Aussie Rules

The sad thing about it is that it’s not simply about the money - they don’t like rugby

Molehill

International Captain
Still dont understand why IRB gave Australia the World Cup in 2027. Seeing as the ongoing consensus here is that no one is going to pitch for the games. So the whole event will be played in front of empty stadiums or maybe one guy and his sheep :ph34r:
I think you underestimate how many travelling fans will attend the events. I even know people going to the Lions Tour next year which will be a one sided farce (and it's not like they've not been to Aus before either).

social

I think you underestimate how many travelling fans will attend the events. I even know people going to the Lions Tour next year which will be a one sided farce (and it's not like they've not been to Aus before either).
The last Lions tour here was a massive success and the next one will be the same

Funny thing is that club rugby is doing well and according to my mates, it’s because it is ignored by the incompetent fools at RA so they do their own thing

Ali TT

International Regular

Doesn't channel 4 show some club rugby (European cups)? I think the highlight packages are on ITV4 or somesuch and are quite good.

There's actually more cricket on FTA now then for a long time. Unfortunately it's on BBC mostly, which means Vaughan and Tufnell.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Social Jr went to a school that has produced numerous Wallabies

Not one elite junior from his year or the one prior plays rugby anymore as they’re all playing league or Aussie Rules

The sad thing about it is that it’s not simply about the money - they don’t like rugby
It’s interesting you say that because i found it an awesome game to play at school. I wonder what’s changed

Molehill

International Captain
Doesn't channel 4 show some club rugby (European cups)? I think the highlight packages are on ITV4 or somesuch and are quite good.

There's actually more cricket on FTA now then for a long time. Unfortunately it's on BBC mostly, which means Vaughan and Tufnell.
Yeah, BT (or whatever they're going by now) basically owns the full package to Premiership and European games, but C4 (r could be ITV) shows a game a week I think. Also, fairly certain that BBC Wales has some live coverage of club games from that region (no idea about Scotland). So I guess it does still have some reasonable FTA support.

Live cricket is generally Hundred though.

social

It’s interesting you say that because i found it an awesome game to play at school. I wonder what’s changed
No idea but the boys I know have no interest

Many played school rugby on Saturday because they had to & club league or Aussie Rules whenever possible

There was even support from the kids to stage a GPS Australian Rules competition but the school wouldn’t do it

Pretty sure that Newington actually plays intra school games so only a matter of time

ripper868

International Coach
Just wait until the GPS systems fold, then the sport will appeal to the masses, and League and AFL will be the sports of the silver spooned, Rugby Austrlias plans are working perfectly muahahahaha.

Why the **** am I awake this late on a Monday.

Molehill

International Captain
That initial round of knockouts is just daft. Unless there's a complete shock, you can pretty much guess the semi finalists (and probably finalists).

Big women's game tomorrow with England v NZ at the newly named Allianz Stadium (Twickenham).

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
It great to see the Boks doing well. Did not think I would see that during the doldrums of 2017. And I love the fact Rassie is pushing the guys to higher levels and building depth on the squad. And I don't want to put it down all to one man. But the best comment I have heard is "Rassie is targeting another RWC, but what SA rugby needs to target is another Rassie"
Just started on the Supersport documentary. Interesting stuff

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
There are a lot of NZers, Saffas, and Islanders in Oz. Hopefully Australia can win (at least) one test against the Lions to build some hype

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Good win for England wo
Meanwhile Tasman (a rugby union from the top of the South Island formed when Nelson and Marlborough merged) have defended the Ranfurly Shield against Wellington after winning it for the 1st time last week.

Molehill

International Captain
There are a lot of NZers, Saffas, and Islanders in Oz. Hopefully Australia can win (at least) one test against the Lions to build some hype
I just can't see it. I'd fancy the chances of this Lions squad to win in NZ and SA, there's a massive drop off between those two and the Aussies. I'd be surprised if the Bledisloe isn't a couple of thrashings.

Good win for England wo
England just had too much power for NZ. I think NZ tried to make it as open as possible and they made a lot of line breaks, but just couldn't turn them into tries until the result was pretty much decided. Every time England got near the try line their power was too much. It'll probably be the Final this time next year, it might need another sending off to get a different result.