• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Pakistan and England in UAE

Who do you think will win?!

• Total voters

Jacknife

International Captain
They kept bringing it up on commentary how batting first was a huge advantage but in the end the conditions didn't change much over the course of the game.

Jacknife

International Captain
What do the Pakistan fans think of Umar Akmal opening?
I could see the advantages of it being one of their more aggressive batsman and it would get them off to at the least a decent start if he hung around for any length of time, could make a decent opening pair with Hafeez.

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
What do the Pakistan fans think of Umar Akmal opening?
Good shout, however I think this just leaves a bigger hole in our middle order. Pak have to groom him to become our new Inzamam (in batting prowess not physical!) I honestly think we just need 2 pick a half decent domestic opener and give him time. Think a lot of potential openers have the potential to succeed esp in the sub continent.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Azhar Ali has a very good one day domestic record and it's been achieved largely as opener. I'd suggest playing him but I certainly think he'd been an anchoring player more than anything else and while there's definitely still a spot for such players in ODIs, it's probably not the sort of player that a team that has Younis and Misbah in the middle order really needs. That said, Farhat only strikes at 70 in ODIs so he'd definitely be a better pick than him.

Last edited:

Yas

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Azhar Ali has a very good one day domestic record and it's been done largely opening. I'd suggest playing him but I certainly think he'd been an anchoring player more than anything else and while there's definitely still a spot for such players in ODIs, it's probably not the sort of player that a team that has Younis and Misbah in the middle order really needs. That said, Farhat only strikes at 70 in ODIs so he'd definitely be a better pick than him.
Yes I'd stumbled upon Azhar Ali's record too but I agree with your point. Farhat is a funny one however blatantly only in the team as his father in law is the selector! Has talent no doubt but should've really kicked on in 2002 odd after facing India he's been give toooo many chances and has not taken any... Time to move on!!!!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Ahmad Shehzad should be opening. The kid has a lot of talent.

I think it swings more under lights. That's why the team batting first will win most of the times.

johr1979

Cricket Spectator
Nice to see an England win yesterday but cant see a whitewash as Samit Patel seems to think is possible, think England might struggle in the next one, suppose it all depends how they deal with Ajmal.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bouncer

State Regular
Ahmad Shehzad should be opening. The kid has a lot of talent.
That was my FB status almost 2 and half year ago and according to an indian friend of mine who told me that the worst thing that can happen to a pakistani cricketer's future is if I spot a Pakistani guy from domestic cricket and want him in Pak team.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Ok here's my best bet:

1.Hafeez-Has worked hard enough IMO to retain his position. A little bit hit-and-miss but that is Pakistan and can definitely change the tempo of the game.
2.Alam/Shehzad-Both thriving in FC cricket, was thinking Azhar but a little bit too slow, Alam and Shehzad for the Youth of Pakistan FTW. Even tho they aren't that young. :p
3.Younis Khan-Unexplicable.
4.If one of the #2 isn't at 2, then over here.
5.Misbah-Captain
6.Umar Akmal-Wanted to kick him out but can't think of a replacement :L
7.Shahid Afridi- Good bowler tbh
8.Riaz/Junaid-Depending on the pitch, both can be very good, mind, Junaid more of an economy bowler.
9.Gul-Hard worker, quiet machine.
10.Ajmal-Ajmal
11.Cheema/Rehman/(Sami:ph34r:)

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Afirdi and Hafeez are both much better at bowling than that they are batting (in limited overs cricket at least) so batting them both in the top seven and having Gul at 8 really is just a massive overkill on bowlers.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Afirdi and Hafeez are both much better at bowling than that they are batting (in limited overs cricket at least) so batting them both in the top seven and having Gul at 8 really is just a massive overkill on bowlers.
But the fact that they are both all-rounders and Hafeez and Afridi can be called 'batsmen' means that the order goes straight down to 7/8.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But the fact that they are both all-rounders and Hafeez and Afridi can be called 'batsmen' means that the order goes straight down to 7/8.
There's no need to pick six frontline bowlers though. Afridi is definitely not one of Pakistan's best seven batsmen - he is a bowler - and when Hafeez exists and Umar is keeping, Pakistan's best seven batsmen should all play.

slowfinger

International Debutant
There's no need to pick six frontline bowlers though. Afridi is definitely not one of Pakistan's best seven batsmen - he is a bowler - and when Hafeez exists and Umar is keeping, Pakistan's best seven batsmen should all play.
But the fact that Hafeez bowls is just a co incidence, I woudln't call him 'frontline', if we had to have 4 proper bowlers then I'd say Gul, Cheema/Sami, Riaz/Junaid and Ajmal with Hafeez and Afridi being optional.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Sometimes I try to argue with slowfinger but I get sidetracked and stare at his avatar for a minute or so. It's like a lava lamp.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
But the fact that Hafeez bowls is just a co incidence
No it isn't. Certainly not in these conditions. I'd almost go as far to say that the fact that he opens the batting is just a coincidence. I'm no big fan of the official ICC rankings but the bloke is ranked #2 in the world for ODI bowling; if that's not frontline bowler territory then I don't know what is.

slowfinger

International Debutant
Sometimes I try to argue with slowfinger but I get sidetracked and stare at his avatar for a minute or so. It's like a lava lamp.
Not like it was intended that way... :ph34r:

No it isn't. Certainly not in these conditions. I'd almost go as far to say that the fact that he opens the batting is just a coincidence. I'm no big fan of the official ICC rankings but the bloke is ranked #2 in the world for ODI bowling; if that's not frontline bowler territory then I don't know what is.
Then who the frig can they kick out the team?!

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Hafeez
Shehzad
Azhar - Has an excellent List A record.
Younis
Umar Akmal (wk)
Misbah (c)
Usman Salahuddin/Hamad Azam
Afridi
Wahab
Gul
Ajmal

I wouldn't have Fawad for ODI's, but he is a must for Tests (get rid of Toffee, make Azhar open and slot Fawad in at 3).

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
My future Pakistan Test (beyond Misbah and Younis, etc)

Azhar Ali (c)
Afaq Raheem
Fawad Alam
Usman Salahuddin
Asad Shafiq
Haris Sohail/Neved Yasin
Umar Akmal (wk)
Hasan Raza
Mohammad Talha
Rahat Ali
Sadaf Hussain