• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* NZ Domestic Season

Ming

State 12th Man
Anzac, you don't really see a lot of dual purpose cricket grounds for domestic games. The Eden Park Outer Oval is only used for cricket, same as Hagley, University Oval, Westpac Park, Pukekura and Napier.

Ryder's innings was his first decent one for a long long time.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Right arm fast said:
yea its good to see ryder finally live up to his potential do u thin ewen thompson will ever be looked at by the selectors his stats are impressive

FIRST-CLASS
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50
Batting & Fielding 20 30 4 632 126 24.30 2 2

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 555.3 113 1809 63 28.71 7-55 2 1 52.9 3.25
What would you be looking at him as?

Another bits and pieces player?

anzac

International Debutant
Ming said:
Anzac, you don't really see a lot of dual purpose cricket grounds for domestic games. The Eden Park Outer Oval is only used for cricket, same as Hagley, University Oval, Westpac Park, Pukekura and Napier.
I thought Westpac & Napier weren't cricket grounds................what about Queenstown????

perhaps the NZCC should look at bringing some of these other venues up to intnl standard so as t avoid the issues re short boundaries & drop in pitches.............

however it sort of blows my theory out of the water regarding playing on these odd shaped grounds encouraging hitters rather than developing stroke players..........

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Right arm fast said:
yea its good to see ryder finally live up to his potential do u thin ewen thompson will ever be looked at by the selectors his stats are impressive

FIRST-CLASS
M I NO Runs HS Ave 100 50
Batting & Fielding 20 30 4 632 126 24.30 2 2

O M R W Ave BBI 5 10 SR Econ
Bowling 555.3 113 1809 63 28.71 7-55 2 1 52.9 3.25
He's been a little off-colour with the ball, averaging 47, but if you see a potential match-winner, he's worth a try, especially with Cairns, Oram, Styris and Adams out of action.

anzac

International Debutant
Thompson should be on the list of potentials, but should not be seriously considered until he is back on track with his bowling.........

Ming

State 12th Man
Thompson shouldn't even be considered yet. His bowling should get him into the team, and so far, he hasn't impressed with it so far.

Anzac, Westpac Park in Hamilton is a true cricket venue, same as McLean Park and Queenstown.

Peter Fulton 221*, Neil Broom 109*, Ross Taylor 141*, Jesse Ryder 238 and Jarrod Englefield 104*.

Englefield has an outstanding season in the SC and SS, while it's great to see Taylor, Fulton and Ryder back among the runs again.

anzac

International Debutant
great to see some big individual scores again - what were the tracks like?????

I also see that J Marshall got 2 half tons batting in the middle order.................

some form at the right time for SRL???????

Ming

State 12th Man
Yeah, James got a 71 and 51. If McMillan again shows true stupidity at the crease, he should be dropped for James Marshall.

anzac

International Debutant
nah - why should he get another chance????? - 2 bad dismissals in 2 innings!!!!!

i guess he was telling the truth in that quote when he said he hadn't changed anything since being dropped!!!!!

if we don't drop him for the 2nd Test then put him to open with Cumming IMO..............I have no gripes with him when he goes at the bowling - so long as he doesn't premeditate his shots - IMO he could be one of the more destructive batsmen in the game & could take over Cairns' mantel in the team, but his shot selection has been abyssmal to say the least for a number of seasons...........

anzac

International Debutant
I can't get the scorecards for the games to open - what were the bowling stats like on those tracks????

anzac

International Debutant
anyone know if the likes of Wilson, Hamilton or Tuffey have been bowling??????
I actually think both Wilson & Hamilton are possibly more suited to the longer game like Franklin...........

what about Davis??????

bryce

International Regular
davis has had a season ending ankle injury which occurred before last weeks SC match which he was due to play in
i'd like to see fulton in for mcmillan and either wiseman or bruce martin to replace o'brien or chris martin, other than that there are no real other bowlers to choose from that are in-form other than warren mcskimming but he would never threaten the aussies

bryce

International Regular
also to add to that in the weekend ian butler took 8/25(in an innings) and scored 37 for his club pukekohe

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thank goodness I haven't been able to watch much of the Aus/NZ series so far. Im going to make a prediction that by the 3rd test, Peter Fulton will replace Craig McMillan..it's just got to happen.

Our senior players are wimping out & it's really only been our younger players or debutants who have made the step-up.
Vettori, Marshall, Cumming, Franklin & to some extent Astle are probably the only players to come out with any credibility in that 1st test.

Full credit to Craig Cumming, i've said before he's probably a better test option. He looks far more comfortable & James Franklin was bowling well considering he got terrible back-up from Chris Martin & the other debutant Ian O'Brien.

The biggest concern for me about the bowling is that Chris Martin is the 2nd highest wicket-taker in the State Championship with 25 wickets, yet he came out & produced a load of sh*t against Australia. That suggests to me that he can't handle the pressure or the step-up. Sure he took South Africa apart..but lets face it, South Africa were batting like they had never held a bat before for the majority of that series.

Great to see our better prospects (Fulton, Ryder & Taylor) amass big scores over the weekend. Fulton in particular looks like he can bat his side out of trouble on a consistent basis & thats probably the type of player we need in the NZ middle order at this stage.
5 centuries & 11 half-centuries with 1 double century & 1 triple century is good enough for me...anything would be better than McMillan at this stage.
And I don't think a dead-rubber at Auckland against quality bowling would do Fulton any harm either.

Its really great to see Ryder finally produce a substantial innings. Hopefully that innings will convince him he can kick on & really score alot of runs in the future. Likewise with Ross Taylor.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Thompson could potentially end up becoming a batsman who bowls at this rate. I haven't seen enough of him though to say whether he's international quality or not.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
Craig McMillan seems to be coming up with just about every comical way in the book to be dismissed. He had no idea against Warne today..absolutely none. Yet Hamish Marshall down the other end in his 1st test v Australia played Warne quite well only to be bowled twice by two unbelievable deliveries that most players would struggle against.

Why should NZ supporters have to sit back & watch McMillan self-destruct, playing shots that you would only see 7th grade players use?. The shot he got out to today made him look like a tail-ender..no wonder the Australians were laughing. I just cannot believe the NZ selectors believe he still has a future in test cricket. The NZ selectors should save him for Zimbabwe & Bangladesh so he can butcher them & hold his over-hyped average of 40.

Ming

State 12th Man
After his 226* and a 40-odd in the match, he now boasts an average of 50 in domestic cricket....pretty impressive. He also showed he can perform overseas as well, and if I remember correctly, he was our best batsmen to SA on the NZ 'A' tour.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
I think Fulton will be competing with James Marshall for perhaps the 3rd test middle order spot, unless McMillan miraculously scores runs at Wellington.

But when you stack up the numbers between Fulton & Marshall...there's no contest IMO. It has to be Peter Fulton. You cannot ignore a batsman in NZ especially who has a triple & double century to his name + an average of 50 over 3 seasons.