• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand v Australia

Scallywag

Banned
Why is it important for the US and/or China to play cricket.

IMO its more important for cricket to maintain its identity and uniqueness more than trying to change it so other non cricket nations will play. If the US dont want to play cricket then let it be and let the countries that do want to play continue to enjoy the sport as it is. If the US get a hold of cricket they will implement changes for their own reasons without considering the smaller nations and modify the game beyond reconigtion.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:

IMO its more important for cricket to maintain its identity and uniqueness more than trying to change it so other non cricket nations will play. If the US dont want to play cricket then let it be and let the countries that do want to play continue to enjoy the sport as it is. If the US get a hold of cricket they will implement changes for their own reasons without considering the smaller nations and modify the game beyond reconigtion.
Do they change the rules of footbal to suit their own needs. It is pathetic that their is 90 odd countires that play cricket and only 8, or 11, are seen as competitive. Cricket has got to continue to grow if it is going to stay profitable

Scallywag

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
Cricket has got to continue to grow if it is going to stay profitable

Not so, Aussie rules is only played in Australia and is more popular in Aus than cricket and far more profitable.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
Not so, Aussie rules is only played in Australia and is more popular in Aus than cricket and far more profitable.
I'm talking about cricket internationally, and AFL is also played in Ireland in a similar form. Their also trying to grow AFL in other countries but it isn't going too well cus it is a crap game.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
isn't aussie rules played in nz, at a social level?
it played in social level in many countries but is too crap of a sport to be played in any other country at a higher level apart from Australia and Ireland

Deja moo

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
Cricket has got to continue to grow if it is going to stay profitable
Not necessary. The first hundred years saw just 6 new test teams emerge. Currently it seems like the ICC want a new team every 5 years or so. Dilutes the quality.

Scallywag

Banned
chaminda_00 said:
it played in social level in many countries but is too crap of a sport to be played in any other country at a higher level apart from Australia and Ireland
See what I mean you cant force you own sport onto people with small minds, selling cricket to the US is like selling Aussie rules to you, the mind isnt big enough to cope with it.

Deja moo

International Captain
Scallywag said:

Exactly.

People must also realise that a large number of teams is not suited to a game which lasts 5 days. Even 10 teams seems crowded now.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Not necessary. The first hundred years saw just 6 new test teams emerge. Currently it seems like the ICC want a new team every 5 years or so. Dilutes the quality.
It all depends on what format they want them to grow in. I personally think that 8 Test teams is enough and the other teams should play ODIs or T20. At least with T20 they have more chances of being competitive and they won't get smashed as bad.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Scallywag said:
See what I mean you cant force you own sport onto people with small minds, selling cricket to the US is like selling Aussie rules to you, the mind isnt big enough to cope with it.
People with small minds ur one to talk 8-)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Exactly.

People must also realise that a large number of teams is not suited to a game which lasts 5 days. Even 10 teams seems crowded now.
What about a game that lasts three hours then, is that suited for a large number of teams

Deja moo

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
What about a game that lasts three hours then, is that suited for a large number of teams
Face it. Cricket is not football. No top team is going to travel all the way to another country just for a series of 3 hour slog-fests.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Face it. Cricket is not football. No top team is going to travel all the way to another country just for a series of 3 hour slog-fests.
True but i'm sure that Kenya and Scotland and others would rather play a three hour 'slog-fest', if that what u want to call it, then play no cricket at all, like they do now. The top teams should be left to play Test cricket and the smaller teams could play T20.

Deja moo

International Captain
chaminda_00 said:
True but i'm sure that Kenya and Scotland and others would rather play a three hour 'slog-fest', if that what u want to call it, then play no cricket at all, like they do now. The top teams should be left to play Test cricket and the smaller teams could play T20.
Let them play whatever they want. As long as they are kept out of Test and maybe OD cricket too till they are deemed good enough to be competitive. Just don't want the real cricket to be diluted.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Deja moo said:
Let them play whatever they want. As long as they are kept out of Test and maybe OD cricket too till they are deemed good enough to be competitive. Just don't want the real cricket to be diluted.
Fair enough but the only way they are going to be competitvie is if they play regular cricket. It time the top sides let their A teams play them, if they get dropped from Test Cricket and ODIs. But it looks unlikely they will be dropped from Test or ODIs any time soon.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Getting back to the topic, Brilliant innings by Ricky Ponting.

I have heard ideas being mooted about a possible Rugby sevens style, world 20/20 tour to entice other parts of the world to get an idea of what cricket is all about.
It would be like a sevens style tour of say 8-10 events . Players could be Fringe players or those who will eternally be second XI ers (I mean eternal A teamers). There could even be a World Cup of 20/20 held in places like Hong kong , USA, Canada, Holland, Singapore, even China .

What do you guys think ? If Rugby sevens can milk the corporate sponsorship(and Dollars) while spreading the game, why not Cricket get on the act to spread the gospel, and give fringe players a chance to earn a decent living, not to mention a whole raft of others (such as coaches, commentators,ex players etc..)!!

Last edited:

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That sounds like a very good idea to me. The sevens tournaments are hugely successful judging from the amazing one in Wellington every year, would be great if they could get similar success for 20/20.

Sir Redman

State Vice-Captain
Yeah I agree the only place for 20/20 is as a sevens-like tour or as series openers.
I went to the game and while the crowd and atmosphere were superb I wasn't exactly sweating over the result like I would be in an ODI game. After a while when a six was hit it was a bit of an anticlimax since so many were already hit, especially on a ground like Eden Park.

Superb innings from Ponting though, showing the value of proper cricket shots. I wasn't that impressed with Styris' knock though, he barely seemed to time the ball well and was bludgeoning the ball. Which shows that timing has so much more value than straight power, as on a decent sized ground he could have been caught several times.
And our death bowling is so pathetic Id be tempted to use someone like Astle at the end.

mavric41

State Vice-Captain
JASON said:
Getting back to the topic, Brilliant innings by Ricky Ponting.

I have heard ideas being mooted about a possible Rugby sevens style, world 20/20 tour to entice other parts of the world to get an idea of what cricket is all about.
It would be like a sevens style tour of say 8-10 events . Players could be Fringe players or those who will eternally be second XI ers (I mean eternal A teamers). There could even be a World Cup of 20/20 held in places like Hong kong , USA, Canada, Holland, Singapore, even China .

What do you guys think ? If Rugby sevens can milk the corporate sponsorship(and Dollars) while spreading the game, why not Cricket get on the act to spread the gospel, and give fringe players a chance to earn a decent living, not to mention a whole raft of others (such as coaches, commentators,ex players etc..)!!
Good call. Maybe the top test teams restrict teams to u/23 players so everbody gets experiance and earn a bit of cash.