• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

kyear2

International Coach
I recognise the need for NZ to dig in against some tight bowling and a pitch that is taking a fair bit of turn, also against the new ball with a slightly negative line Roach was employing and a decent burst from Taylor, but I think these two just need to be a little more proactive, not allow Benn and Shillingford and Samuels to be able to just run up without any pressure being exerted on them. I'm not suggesting KW or Latham coming round down at them and try and smash them out of the ground, just tick try and be more positive and tick it over better than they currently are.

I appreciate that survival is the upper most thought but I do think putting pressure back onto the bowler is the best way of coping.
Well one of them just tried.

Flem274*

123/5
wish the comms would stop acting surprised spinners are favoured so much on modern west indies pitches. it's only been like this for a decade.

speaking of which, the spinners are doing a good job to big daddy kane here. you can see he's pretty pissed off that a spinner is bossing him around. he's used to toying with them.

BeeGee

International Captain
Awesome. Great stuff from NZ to get through to lunch only one wicket down.

And that wicket being the sacrificial Fulton.

Last edited:

Flem274*

123/5
well that was ok. i think the cautiousness was born from the crazy warm up pitches and memories of our last tour there. it's nice channeling your inner viv richards but the "who cares how it looks, just get the game set up" approach is an encouraging one for two young batsmen to take in the short term.

tom latham earning a pass mark against spin so far. looks better against spin than he did against pace on dayboo.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wish the comms would stop acting surprised spinners are favoured so much on modern west indies pitches. it's only been like this for a decade.
Agree, about as misguided as NZ wickets being generally green and go sideways.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'll take that 60 odd for 1, we have the batsmen down the order to lift the scoring if we can lay a decent foundation.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
No problem with the decision, but without hot spot or snicko how is it conclusive?
yeah it's going to be difficult.

I think the evidence was from the two angles - from side on he could see when the ball passed the bat, and from front on he could see how close the ball was to the bat at that point in time.

kyear2

International Coach
Honors to New Zealand for the first session. Will probably get easier to play as the day goes on.

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year
well that was ok. i think the cautiousness was born from the crazy warm up pitches and memories of our last tour there. it's nice channeling your inner viv richards but the "who cares how it looks, just get the game set up" approach is an encouraging one for two young batsmen to take in the short term.
Kane was sloooow in county cricket as well though, itbt. Also, was making a weirdly big deal out of county hundreds. Blocky to give us the goss on whether he's in a bad space.

Last edited:

Beamer

International Vice-Captain
So good to have JT back. Just the most beautiful fast bowling action imaginable. Pity Kemar looked so damn rusty though, he just hasn't had enough cricket, whereas you can tell JT has just had an entire FC season to get back into the swing of things.

Honours even at the moment. Not a good cricket wicket tbh, I'm a bit disappointed, Sabina Park is usually quicker than this even if it does turn.

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
the awesome thing about being up this early is the time I get to cook breakfast.

2 poached eggs
bacon
baked beans on toast
2 slices of toast with marmite
2 slices of toast with peanut butter and banana

#bulking

BeeGee

International Captain
Not the most enthralling session I've ever watched.
With the pitch and outfield being so slow, it's going to be very difficult to score quickly. It's going to be one of those wickets that it's difficult to score runs on and difficult to take wickets on (at least for the first couple of days).

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
So good to have JT back. Just the most beautiful fast bowling action imaginable. Pity Kemar looked so damn rusty though, he just hasn't had enough cricket, whereas you can tell JT has just had an entire FC season to get back into the swing of things.

Honours even at the moment. Not a good cricket wicket tbh, I'm a bit disappointed, Sabina Park is usually quicker than this even if it does turn.
Yeah Roach was a little disappointing. May have been a case for picking Holder over him, tbh.

Highly impressed with Taylor. It's difficult to know whether domestic form was going to mean anything given that there seem to be quite a few somewhat average bowlers in the Windies who take lots of wickets. Good to see that he's back.

For Taylor's sake it's a bit sad that he has to bowl on this pitch. I suppose it's a sacrifice for the team, but it's disheartening because it's going to be hard for him to ever really get much of a record if this is what he has to expect in the mid-term.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes the pitch isn't adding to the general excitement of the Test so far and it does make positive and attractive strokeplay difficult. While I do think NZ can be more proactive in the afternoon session, they have done well in that first session to lose just the one wicket and show very good discipline against the WI attack.

Flem274*

123/5
if holder has a long test career i think his average will suffer a fair bit because he won't play his home games in nz, aus, sa or england.

he's the second least suited west indian quick im familliar with to these conditions after tino best.

kyear2

International Coach

Kemar did look rusty and was a bit too wayward.

Would start the attack after lunch with Taylor and Benn.