• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in the West Indies 2014

BeeGee

International Captain
yeah pretty much. Could go Raval, Guptill, Flynn or Papps next series if he fails. Not sure who'll get the gig.
I know the cupboard is bare when it comes to picking test openers, but we always pick the wrong kind of batsmen to fill those positions. If he has a beautiful cover drive or straight drive then he is not what we want. We want ugly as **** grafters who care more about batting time than scoring boundaries.

If I was coach, opening batsmen would get docked 10% of their match fee for every boundary they score in the first half hour of a test innings.

Last edited:

hendrix

Hall of Fame Member
I know the cupboard is bare when it comes to picking test openers, but we always pick the wrong kind of batsmen to fill those positions. If he has a beautiful cover drive or straight drive then he is not what we want. We want ugly as **** grafters who care more about batting time than scoring boundaries.

If I was coach, opening batsmen would get docked 10% of their match fee for every boundary they score in the first half hour of a test innings.
Wouldn't go that far, but I partially agree just in terms of pragmatism, which is why I liked having Flynn in the team. He generally gave it away after a gritty 30 (110) but I thought he did an unappreciated job.

BeeGee

International Captain
I don't understand what NZ are trying to achieve in this game. Why did Ronchi come in ahead of Williamson? Surely it's more important for Williamson and Taylor to spend some time in the middle than the reserve wicketkeeper?

Kippax

Cricketer Of The Year

At least have the decency to destroy us with spin, you Jamaican second-stringers. I'd agree that Powell has some quality stuff, but still.

Hesson sent Ronchi in as a smoky number 5, eh. Dan's onto it.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Blimey!!...what a comeback by the Jamaican attack :w00t: ..really does bode well for the future as they are all very young, Brown 20 and Powell 18 etc.

Honestly i really never expected much from these games...but during the process we've seen some very talented individuals stand up against test quality players and it's very encouraging to see. Also regardless of the result this collapse by the kiwi top order won't have done their confidence any good before the first test...so all and all it's a decent day for WI :cool: .

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Haha, wow what an epic lollapse, and from the looks of Kippax video it's not a lot to do with the pitch (except for Fulton's dismissal which looked like it kept low). Hilarious failure of the top order is hilarious.

I don't understand what NZ are trying to achieve in this game. Why did Ronchi come in ahead of Williamson? Surely it's more important for Williamson and Taylor to spend some time in the middle than the reserve wicketkeeper?
I wonder whether the selectors were toying with the idea of batting Ronchi at 6, though you'd have to suspect that Anderson's bowling would still make him a lock for the first test.

Also, Timmeh returns and Boulteh blossoms. I'm surprised.

Last edited:

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Really loving the celebrations from Powell too. Those guys look quality.
Honestly Hendrix i really had no clue who these kids were before these games :D ...it's crazy how Powell for example wasn't part of the WIu19s team that went to the world cup earlier this year...madness. Even in the batting Burton is young and so is Kenner Lewis who have stood up well despite not playing any first class cricket for Jamaica yet.

I think the attack in this game will certainly have turned some heads here and now it's a case of how we develop them now...even the lad Green is young too.

Binkley

U19 Captain
Haha, wow what an epic lollapse, and from the looks of Kippax video it's not a lot to do with the pitch (except for Fulton's dismissal which looked like it kept low). Hilarious failure of the top order is hilarious.
Urgh. I seriously wish I could find our top order collapses hilarious. Life would be so much happier. Does anyone else remember Fulton and Rutherford scoring centuries for fun against England? Why is it that ever since neither of them look like they know their bat from their arseholes?

Flem274*

123/5
at least these epic collapses are happening before the real stuff. usually we spend the first two tests being terrible then putting together a solid effort when we're 2-0 down.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
Watling to open, Ronchi at 7 with the gloves. Boult dropped.

You all know it's happening.

Howsie

International Captain
Seriously where did this 'Boult will be dropped' stuff come from? Ain't a chance in hell that will happen.

I was keen (well as much as you can be) of having a Latham-Fulton opening partnership, don't back Rutherford whatsoever against the spinners. But you just can't play Fulton now, he hasn't scored a run in four innings, not to mention how rubbish he was last season. Latham-Rutherford and hope to god he can score a quick 20-30 before the spinners come on.