• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in South Africa

Natman20

International Debutant
Good game SAF. I cant help but feeling NZ has thrown away both matches. Very even teams. NZ lack CHRIS CAIRNS!!!!!!

Blaze

Banned
IMO we are the better side.. but we threw it away today big time.

One feels that this just isn't going to be our series.

Lyell_Chris

U19 12th Man
Natman20 said:
Good game SAF. I cant help but feeling NZ has thrown away both matches. Very even teams. NZ lack CHRIS CAIRNS!!!!!!
thats what we like we hear

Adams played crap

Mills did good but , did he bowl at the death in this game??, if he has learnt to bowl at the death Bond could have another decent spell in the middle overs

Vincent did good but its likely he won't do anything in his next 5 innings now

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
interesting game this afternoon, i reckon it would be fair to say that NZ threw it away, but i take nothing away from SA they're bowler really stucked to their task...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Damn, I thought NZ had it in the bag when Styris and Vincent got going. SA go 2-0 up, I hope NZ fight back.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA have won so many in a row now, NZ don't seem to have much chance of winning 3 in a row to take the series. 2-0 after 2 close games, frustrating!

Great stuff Vincent and Mills.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
Need to win 3 in a row now. I think we can do it...or at least, make sure this series isn't a cleans weep :(

Mills bowling very well (although it's been just the 2 games) and against quality opposition. Good stuff from my man Vincent :)

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
That is true, Mills has been bowling very well. Hopefully he can keep it up, because he's showed glimpses of being a good bowler throughout his career.

_Ed_

Jono said:
That is true, Mills has been bowling very well. Hopefully he can keep it up, because he's showed glimpses of being a good bowler throughout his career.
Yeah I'm really pleased, being an Auckland supporter. :D

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Isolator said:
Well, he did hit four 6s in a row against Oz, though I don't think he'll be repeating it anytime soon...
Ironically though, he's only hit one six in his other 49 ODIs...

Blaze

Banned
_Ed_ said:
Yeah I'm really pleased, being an Auckland supporter. :D

I hope Auckland bring in some youth this season. I have had enough of Kerry Walmsley, Brooke Walker, Matt Horne etc. There has to be some decent talent in Auckland.

When was the last time they produced an outstanding cricketer?

_Ed_

Blaze said:
I hope Auckland bring in some youth this season. I have had enough of Kerry Walmsley, Brooke Walker, Matt Horne etc. There has to be some decent talent in Auckland.

Yeah true...I think Brooke Walker has retired, but you're right about Walmsley and Horne. We've got Styris, Martin and (I think) Tuffey this season, that'll help and maybe at last fill the gap left by Chris Drum, but I'm not sure about the youth players.

Zinzan

Blaze said:

Wondering if you have had a rethink on Marshall having more talent than Vincent? As I said earlier Marshall may have had more international success up til now, but Vincent's strokeplay last night just confirmed he is a real natural talent. Man....how were some of those shots!!

James

Cricket Web Owner
What a disapponting game over night.

What continues to strike me is the consistent non performances of Jacob Oram who calls himself a batsman all-rounder in ODIs.

With an average of 17.51 and recent scores of 15, 15, 24, 2, 0, 36, 5, 14, 35, 11 at an average of 15.70 is this enough to keep him in the team? If he can't bowl it isn't enough for me. Bring in James Marshall.

Blaze

Banned
zinzan12 said:
Wondering if you have had a rethink on Marshall having more talent than Vincent? As I said earlier Marshall may have had more international success up til now, but Vincent's strokeplay last night just confirmed he is a real natural talent. Man....how were some of those shots!!

One match isn't going to change my opinion Zinzan. I think that Marshall is a very special type of batsman, a rear bread and he showed how good he can be against the Aussies. Hopefully he come back into form soon. That doesn't mean to say I don't think Vincent isn't talented.

Oh and I agree James, Oram is horribly overrated.

James

Cricket Web Owner
I think Oram is worth including the team if he can bowl but if he can't don't select him. The middle order is bad enough as it is without relying on Oram in the middle of it.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
James said:
What a disapponting game over night.

What continues to strike me is the consistent non performances of Jacob Oram who calls himself a batsman all-rounder in ODIs.

With an average of 17.51 and recent scores of 15, 15, 24, 2, 0, 36, 5, 14, 35, 11 at an average of 15.70 is this enough to keep him in the team? If he can't bowl it isn't enough for me. Bring in James Marshall.
Yeah that game was really disappointing, I got up at 3 am to watch it and thought that we had a great chance of winning. As most of you know, I am a Jacob Oram fan but I found it so painful to sit through his innings this morning. Today he seemed really out of sorts I don't know whether it was a mixture of his injury problems or that he is feeling like he really needs to stand up now that Cairns is on the outer, and that he has to come in and do what Cairnsey used to do in ODI's. Also he seems to be having trouble adjusting to these slower wickets in South Africa, he looks better with the ball coming on at speed rather than dribbling on to the bat, yet most of NZ's batters seem to be struggling with it too. I also think that he is having problems coming to grips with not bowling, to quote him from the 2nd Test in England last year, he feels as if he is only playing with one arm - well something along those lines, as bowling used to be his safety net that if he didn't stand up with the ball he would try to make a contibution with the bat and vice versa. It could also be a bit of anxiety that he faced with his batting when he made his test debut, as he felt like he wasn't good enough to be a test batter after he got a duck in his first test.
I don't think that dropping him is the right option, I think that he needs to be given time to settle back into playing one day cricket and batting to the level that we know he can. His 35 in the 1st ODI, was promising, you could tell that he wasn't quite right but if he can score 35 when he isn't quite right then i am sure that when he gets it all sorted he will be fine.
Oram has now played 76 ODI matches, and we have to remember he isn't an explosive batter like Cairnsey was/is, he needs time to get his eye in and then he can launch from there. When you look at Cairns's Statistics v Oram's statistics, it seems that Cairns was a better test bowler and odi batter than oram and oram is a better test batter and odi bowler than Cairns.
But we can't just point the finger at Oram for NZ's loss, all the top order have struggled with the ball coming on much slower than conditions in New Zealand, Fleming and Astle haven't stood up either in of the ODI matches so far.
As for the squad for the next game, to be honest I have no idea as it is too hard to pick as it the top order minus Styris, Vincent and McMillian have all made a contribution. I would probably stay with the same line up and hope that the pitch is faster than the other two.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Blaze said:
One match isn't going to change my opinion Zinzan. I think that Marshall is a very special type of batsman, a rear bread and he showed how good he can be against the Aussies. Hopefully he come back into form soon. That doesn't mean to say I don't think Vincent isn't talented.

Oh and I agree James, Oram is horribly overrated.
Oram has done more than H. Marshall in the tour of Zimbabwe and S.A.
Oram's ODI batting is probably overrated as we have this whole mentality that he would be like Cairns but really he doesn't bat like Cairns and it is about time that we all realised that. Oram can bat but he has his own style and takes longer to get settled than Cairns did. Oram when he started his career with CD, he batted about number four, in ODI's he comes in at number 6 or later, and is expected to smash the ball around but that is not how he plays.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Blaze said:

We agree to disagree.............I think the reverse of what you said above about Vincent, particularly after his magnificent debut in Perth. I'm just disappointed that he's never fulfilled that early potential in either form of the game. Hopefully this latest run of form in the last 12 months or so will be the turning point in his career. At the same time I'm certainly not suggesting Marshall doesn't have talent