• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

anzac

International Debutant
Kent said:
Others claiming NZ shot themselves in the foot by not taking more than 14 players should also note that the 14th member of the squad (Kyle Mills) has bowled just 25 f/c overs in the last 5 weeks. If James Franklin had been in the intial squad, he'd be heading into the test at Trent Bridge with even less than that, and is probably glad he's spent each weekend bowling in club cricket rather than the nets every day.

Despite all this, there is some scope for questioning here. Like why was a spinner not one of the players stationed at a club in the UK? Is Vettori that much of a talent these days that he'll either play or we'll go in with no spinner at all?

2) Daryl Tuffey

It's hard to have a go at a trier. It's easy to have a go at a liar!

That basically sums up my dilemma here. There shouldn't be anything macho about representing your country IMO - regardless of the coach saying you're going to be his spearhead, or the fact every kid dreams of doing it. If you're not fit and you know it, it's ultimately up to you to stand down. It's not soft, it's not pessimistic, it's just smart.
some good points..............but with regard to the above..............

me thinks that the lack of bowling by Mills has as much to do with the early weather, his hand injury & the failure of the frontline bowlers (inc Bond) to show any form...............in any 'normal' situation you would expect the weather & team mates to be a bit more accomodating.........

I do not think that Tuffey is the only example of players carrying injury, and the fact that he 'passed' a fitness test shows how low the standards must have been.......along with the fact that the selectors did take Bond is indicative of this sort of seige mentality = 'there are no real experienced alternatives that we can rely upon so therefore we must stick to the tried and true' bullshit...............

anzac

International Debutant
NZL 108/0....

Fleming & Richardson both have their 50s..............
Richardson scoring at 43 SR as opposed to about 35...........Fleming at 58 SR.....
innings RR a touch over 3RPO..........

:)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
For me, the battle of the day so far has been the one between Harmison and Richardson - top stuff by a guy whose nerves look absolutely shot to hell yet showing so much guts and determination. Fantastic cricket.

anzac

International Debutant
what's the pitch playing like?????

I see Giles is going for less than 2 RPO - is it turning or are NZL just playing safe to build a big partnership?????

anzac

International Debutant
thinking about it I reckon McCullum should have come in at #3............

good to see he RR increase - so long as it's not the dreaded 'red mist'............... :scared:

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
superkingdave said:
What was the Richardson caught behind thing off Hoggard like? the commentary i saw on it said he was definately out?
Totally nailed on - but only when you heard it slowed down. One of those where your eyes told you one thing and your ears told you another.

The problem is caused in part when umpires use this seemingly self-imposed sensory deprivation - in other words, what they see has to be more or less confirmed by what they hear - and in this case it didn't.

The batsman hit his pad, of that there is no doubt, but at precisely the same time he hit the ball - and it wasn't even a thin edge either, yet the sound of bat on pad obscured the *click* to a *thud*.

It was one of those where he was so banged to rights that there wasn't so much an appeal as a celebration - followed by more than a little disbelief.

Umpire said not out, though - and that's what counts.

a massive zebra

International Captain
superkingdave said:
What was the Richardson caught behind thing off Hoggard like? the commentary i saw on it said he was definately out?
Richardson was out caught by Vaughan while trying to slog Giles out of the park.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
No, early on he nicked one to Jones off Hoggard but was given not out. Just seen the repaly now he hit his pad with his bat but definately edged it as well, it deviated quite a bit.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
a massive zebra said:
Richardson was out caught by Vaughan while trying to slog Giles out of the park.
SKD was referring to an incident right at the start.

Extract from my match report I wrote at the time...

Fleming, meanwhile, turned Harmison for four just wide of the diving Geraint Jones - a perfect catch to an old-fashioned leg slip, but alas, that is a position so seldom filled nowadays. Richardson again had an escape in the now doubled leg-trap as Harmison was threatening to take his wicket with almost every delivery.

In relief, Richardson escaped to the other end and took his frustrations out on the bowling of Matthew Hoggard. Twice in succession the wide ball was chased with gusto, twice in succession the ball evaded the diving slips to thud into the boundary boards at third man. On the final ball of Hoggard's over though, the Yorkshireman should have picked up his 100th test wicket when the seemingly regulation edge flew from a huge deflection to Jones behind the wicket, only for umpire Daryl Harper to curtail the celebrations prematurely.

badgerhair

U19 Vice-Captain
tooextracool said:
well saggers has been selected ahead of anderson for the 3rd test....i dont understand what the selectors see in saggers who is really another conditions affected bowler, at 32 he doesnt have much of a future anyways. anderson might not be any better but hes younger and has more of a future in the english side.
What they saw in Saggers for Headingley was someone who made a reasonable substitute. What they see in him for this game is a loyal servant who did his bit in a victory and should be given another chance - Anderson will get plenty of bowling in the one-dayers. Fletcher and first Hussain and now Vaughan set great value on continuity, a team ethic, and giving people reasonable chances, and I think that's excellent.

I'd much rather the 32-y-o Saggers has four or five Tests, and either demonstrates that he's not that wonderful or shows that he's been unjustly ignored all these years.

Cheers,

Mike