• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official** New Zealand in England

PY

International Coach
I love listening to the old timers on TMS.

Christopher Martin-Jenkins got so excited for that wicket, brilliant commentary. :)

tooextracool

International Coach
PY said:
Harmison is on the money again, as soon as he realised that you need to pitch the bloody thing up.

Took him 5 overs though. :(
yeah that seems to be a problem with him,something that we'll see quite a bit from him in his career......he just tends to get a bit carried away from the bounce he gets and bowls it too short. its something that caddick used to do very often as well.

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
Bowled him!!!!!!
Saggers you legend, Richardson out!!!!
wasnt really a spectacular ball though, sloppy footwork from richardson, failing to get his foot to the pitch of the ball.
well at least he pitched it up though!

PY

International Coach
Thorpe drops Papps at third slip and takes the loose ball in the adam's apple according to the radio.

Grrr, why can't we catch properly.....:mad:

Rich2001

International Captain
Myself inculding have been saying that spinners will play no part in this match, but iam starting to wonder now.

The area has been very wet of late and the pitch has been under covers for a long long time in the last week or so and it's made the surface pretty damp and the bowlers footmarks after just over an hour are very very prominate, anyone who lands the ball in them will certianly get grip.

NZ lose their first wicket! - Oh and now Hoggard has just had a edge dropped, was a sitter too :( That's three drops now already and it's starting to look like a TV reply of the Bang v WI Test match where everything is dropped!

And to top it all off rain is in the air it seems :(

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
Rich2001 said:
Myself inculding have been saying that spinners will play no part in this match, but iam starting to wonder now.

The area has been very wet of late and the pitch has been under covers for a long long time in the last week or so and it's made the surface pretty damp and the bowlers footmarks after just over an hour are very very prominate, anyone who lands the ball in them will certianly get grip.

NZ lose their first wicket! - Oh and now Hoggard has just had a edge dropped, was a sitter too :( That's three drops now already and it's starting to look like a TV reply of the Bang v WI Test match where everything is dropped!

And to top it all off rain is in the air it seems :(
thank god you got rid of that obnoxious rob key avatar

twctopcat

International Regular
tooextracool said:
we've seen enough evidence in the last test and in the WI that butcher is a horrible,horrible slip fielder
Have to agree, who can they replace him with? He's too much of a liability for my liking.

PY

International Coach
Put Butcher under the helmet and get Strauss out of there before he gets sconed.

Slips should be Trescothick, Flintoff, Thorpe and when Flintoff is bowling.......only have two slips. :D

Rich2001

International Captain
luckyeddie said:
The Thorpe catch was a dolly, the Butcher one exceedingly difficult.
Agree here with Eddie, the Butcher catch was very hard... diving forward at full lenght in the slips is one of the least favourite things to do as any slip fielder will tell you.

As for the slips Trescothick, Thorpe, Flintoff are all top catchers with Collingwood @ Gully/Backward point if he plays makes a pretty solid catching group.

If you do need a fourth slip I don't really have a problem with Butcher... A intresting one might be M.Vaughan this guy is a gun when it comes to reflex catches but always drops the easy ones, might be an idea to give him a go as you can't field in many more spots where you have less time to think.

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
twctopcat said:
Have to agree, who can they replace him with? He's too much of a liability for my liking.
that really is the problem....both thorpe and butcher arent exactly 'reliable' slip fielders and that leaves just tres and flintoff.
either fletcher gives them intensive slip catching practice :p or they put someone who has really no experience there(strauss or vaughan i guess)
btw is pieterson a slip fielder?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
a massive zebra said:
I'm afraid you're mistaken Sir :p
Yes, I didn't think we'd have an injury so late in the day.

If all were fit he wouldn't have had a chance, but would've been able to go back and bowl for Kent as they try to defend 600+!

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Loony BoB said:
Cricinfo: It has been confirmed by Clive Lloyd, the match referee, that if Vaughan has to make a mad dash to hospital, he will be able to bat in any position on his return.
I wouldn't trust Cricinfo's word on much...

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
marc71178 said:
I wouldn't trust Cricinfo's word on much...
You can trust mine though - I heard the interview with Simon Taufel before the toss of the coin - and it was said then.

Actually, you can't trust me. I'm either stupid or know nothing about the game.

Kent

State 12th Man
marc71178 said:
Although it's actually a weaker attack as Oram can't bowl in the match!

The perils of a 14 man squad with injury doubts included in the 14!
I lost my anger about that when I realised just about every fringe NZ player is in the UK anyway. The perils of being the second or third-favourite sport in a country of only 4 million people is probably more accurate. (if it weren't for Canterbury's dry summer climate, we'd be lucky to have the cricket depth of Wales!)

Anyway, I can see NZC's argument - why pay for having 6 over-qualified drinks boys at every match on the most expensive cricket tour in the world, when they could be earning their own money by actually playing some cricket there?

It's not like Kyle Mills bowling about 30 f/c overs in the last 5 weeks has made him any better off than a guy who's been bowling to club cricketers every Saturday.

Last edited:

Rich2001

International Captain
marc71178 said:
Yes, I didn't think we'd have an injury so late in the day.

If all were fit he wouldn't have had a chance, but would've been able to go back and bowl for Kent as they try to defend 600+!
I'll doubt he would have bothered to be honest, he has just spent the previous day making the trek up the map, and had he gone he would have had about a 6 hour drive traffic depending getting back meaning he would only just be getting to the ground by about now and we have been bowling for over a hour and a half now.

And Iam not sure but isn't the rule he must be back by the end of day 1 for that to count?