• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
TBH he'll get two tests and then loses his place to Flintoff, unless he massively outbowls Broad

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Wouldn't rule that out actually TBH. Either by fluke or by miraculous performance.

In any case, don't take it for granted that Flintoff will play the Third Test - chickens and hatched and all that.

And on the subject of Broad - really do fear for our bowling chances if he's in the Test side against South Africa later this summer. Don't see him in his current state causing them any undue trouble at all unless the pitches seam extravagantly. Right now he remains a decent line-length bowler (most of the time at least) and little more.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Aye, reminds me of 06 with Flintoff where he was ruled out for the first Test against Pakistan, then shortly before the second Test (which I was attending) he was ruled out until the Ashes (:() though he ended up coming back for the CT,oops

As for Broad, well I'm going to wait and see. He's only played a couple of Tests, but I like what I have seen from him domestically these past couple of years, and his bowling in NZ impressed. Just basing that on what I saw, the quality of his deliveries was really high in the parts I watched live, think his stats were good as well. but obviously the conditions were fairly well suited to seam and the batting wasn't great, but if he hits some good form in this series, I won't worry. SA will be a big Test, but hell, there is no point picking someone of his age for Test Cricket if you don't back them to come through the big challenges.

I think the selectors have picked Anderson because they see him as more likely to be firing this time next year (over Hoggard that is). They are clearly looking to the Ashes now and want an attack ready for that. Don't necessarily agree with such a policy, though I do want to see a consistent attack (in terms of selection), which we haven't since the 05 Ashes really. I want to see a consistently good attack as well though, as much as I like Anderson, I really don't let county bias affect my thinking in Test Cricket and I don't think he should be playing.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
If I thought Anderson was likely to bowl better next season than Hoggard, I'd not be terribly unhappy at his selection now.

I honestly simply don't ever think Anderson is very likely to be a Test-class bowler. Ever.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
TBH he'll get two tests and then loses his place to Flintoff, unless he massively outbowls Broad
I really don't think Anderson and Broad should be in competition as such. Broad is currently playing Flintoff's role of bowling first change, back of a length. I wouldn't want to see either him or Flintoff opening the bowling really, so don't be surprised if it's Broad that makes way.

Athlai

Not Terrible
Broad > Anderson, in potential and reality. You play your best team, and Flintoff or Broad could open the bowling just as effectively as Anderson.

Really looking forward to this first Test, this is a relatively understrength English side, whenever Flintoff's not in the team, I feel we can sneak one. Martin's article made it seem as though the Kiwi's are really prepared to give it their all.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
I honestly simply don't ever think Anderson is very likely to be a Test-class bowler. Ever.
Which is, in effect, a bias on your opinion of his selection.

It's not about which of the two should be selected as such; it's about whether Anderson should be dropped which is a whole different kettle of fish. I have little doubt that Hoggard is still a better Test bowler than Anderson, however Anderson is yet to be given a run lengthy enough to be dropped. Obviously those who thought the dropping of Hoggard was ridiculous (myself included) will still be of the opinion that he should be in the team as Anderson has done little in his two Tests to suggest otherwise. The selectors aren't amongst that group, however - they dropped Hoggard for Anderson and, not unlike the situation with the Hoggard supporters, barely anything has changed to suggest they change their minds. It was a story all too familiar with Anderson - a great opening spell upon return to the team followed by a heap of crap - but a two-Test run consisting of 5/73, 2/57, 0/54 and 1/99 is not conclusive evidence to suggest he should be dropped. Not by a long shot.

FBU

International Debutant
Anderson hasn't had a run in the side but has always been an injury replacement. He has been 12th man for 27 Tests. You could imagine an experienced county bowler being able to step into a Test and take over and do a job when there is an injury but Anderson has only played one full season of county cricket. I can't really think of any other bowler in Test cricket who has been in the same situation.

As usual it will just be a short spell once again as Flintoff is likely to come back for the 3rd Test.

Flem274*

123/5
Anderson in, Hoggard out, Flintoff out..

If Sidebottom doesn't wake up this moring (England time) I think I'll cry in delight.

Sidebottom is the difference, take him out of play and imo game on.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
Actually don't think Sidebottom will have too much of an influence in this series imo. Expect him to be dangerous but not as good as he was in NZ. Both sides top six might surpise us and score some runs...they bloody well should do as the pitches will more than likely be pancakes

Flem274*

123/5
Actually don't think Sidebottom will have too much of an influence in this series imo. Expect him to be dangerous but not as good as he was in NZ. Both sides top six might surpise us and score some runs...they bloody well should do as the pitches will more than likely be pancakes
Wellington, Hamilton and especially Napier were all good pitches for batting. Expect more of the same tbh. Hope i'm wrong and we see some decent totals though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking forward to the test tonight, whats the weather looking like in England this morning? Hopefully it'll be good for at least the first session so I can see a few hours, might have to catch up with the last two sessions in the highlights though.

Bit surprised Hoggard wasn't selected and Anderson got the nod, though at least England have shown consistency in their team selection from the final couple of tests in the NZ tour. Agreed with those that have mentioned Sidebottom, his influence could be key to the series result again.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Interesting to see McCullum promoted to 5 in the order...I approve of it though, think he'll do better there than at 7 or 8.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
No complaints from me with Brendan at five, just because Australia always played Gilchrist at seven shouldn't mean we're forced into applying the same policy.

JoeShmoe

Cricket Spectator
Hello all ...

Been lashing down in London by all accounts .. think it will be a disrupted day. Jimmy will be good today if he bowls in these conditions ...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Looking forward to the test tonight, whats the weather looking like in England this morning?
Pretty poor a couple of hundred miles west of London, but the forecast is abysmal everywhere today.

A decent day's play will be a bonus, a full day will be a miracle.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Which is, in effect, a bias on your opinion of his selection.

It's not about which of the two should be selected as such; it's about whether Anderson should be dropped which is a whole different kettle of fish. I have little doubt that Hoggard is still a better Test bowler than Anderson, however Anderson is yet to be given a run lengthy enough to be dropped. Obviously those who thought the dropping of Hoggard was ridiculous (myself included) will still be of the opinion that he should be in the team as Anderson has done little in his two Tests to suggest otherwise. The selectors aren't amongst that group, however - they dropped Hoggard for Anderson and, not unlike the situation with the Hoggard supporters, barely anything has changed to suggest they change their minds. It was a story all too familiar with Anderson - a great opening spell upon return to the team followed by a heap of crap - but a two-Test run consisting of 5/73, 2/57, 0/54 and 1/99 is not conclusive evidence to suggest he should be dropped. Not by a long shot.
Meh, I honestly think it pretty much is. If this Test had been the Fourth Test of a series in NZ, I'd really be quite surprised if Hoggard wasn't brought back.

Either way, worse blunders have been made than picking Anderson for this Test. Hopefully he won't do well enough in it to keep his place for the next game.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Pretty poor a couple of hundred miles west of London, but the forecast is abysmal everywhere today.

A decent day's play will be a bonus, a full day will be a miracle.
Sounds fantastic then.. :laugh: At least NZ managed a top effort weather wise in the test series down here a few months back (even if the ODIs were a bit disrupted). ;)