• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
Hear Athers has come out blasting Vettori. After his predictions of 5-0 in ODIs and 3-0 in the tests in the series over here (fair enough on the tests but he was dreaming with the ODIs) I think I'll take what he says with a grain of salt from now on.

Oh and listening to talkback radio before I think Leslie gave them a ring. Apparently we have really good batsmen but our bowlers suck.

Lucky I take radiosport callers with a warehouse of salt (no offence to Tim).

99*

International Debutant
Was watching Survivor until 9.30, turned over to the cricket and the coverage cuts out immediately. 8-) Back on now, interview with Sidebottom, presume the start has been delayed?
Was laughing so hard at Eric.

Need to get my mother out of the lounge so I can watch the cricket when it comes on, she won't leave until trading spouses is finished despite having a fine TV in her bedroom. :dry:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Was laughing so hard at Eric.

Need to get my mother out of the lounge so I can watch the cricket when it comes on, she won't leave until trading spouses is finished despite having a fine TV in her bedroom. :dry:
I can not believe how dumb he was - you're immune to get to the final 4 and everyone wants to take you to the final 3 as no one will vote you the winner. Been a good season for blindsights so can't believe he didn't expect something was up with the four women.

Flem274*

123/5
Is he our only commentator over there? Martin Crowe presumable is still in India, Doull's in NZ with his radio show....Rigor make the trip?
Thought Crowe was in the nets preparing for his "comeback" tbh.

Seriously, great batsman but I can't stand him as a commentator. Too opinionated and egotistical.

99*

International Debutant
I can not believe how dumb he was - you're immune to get to the final 4 and everyone wants to take you to the final 3 as no one will vote you the winner. Been a good season for blindsights so can't believe he didn't expect something was up with the four women.
He must have knew something was up with Ceres' (sp?) big "You have to redeem yourself" speech.

On the cricket front, has NZ named the team yet?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
He must have knew something was up with Ceres' (sp?) big "You have to redeem yourself" speech.

On the cricket front, has NZ named the team yet?
Cirie*. Yeh it just seemed so obvious that something was up, I really don't know why you don't look after yourself at that stage and then hope for a miracle that you can persuade the jury to get you the million, at least you're giving yourself a chance. Who do you reckon was dumber, Jason or Eric? Both just seemed so oblivious to the whole game at times.

Don't think its confirmed but Sky just put up a team list with Flynn at 6. Oram, Vettori, Southee, Mills, Martin the five bowlers.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Nah, Richardson is awful, Atherton merely average. Atherton is a very fine writer though, which makes me forgive his average mic skills.
I actually think Atherton's alright, I guess it depends who hes on with - if its another commentator with a relatively soft tone it can get quite dull IMO but otherwise good.

Flem274*

123/5
Nah, Richardson is awful, Atherton merely average. Atherton is a very fine writer though, which makes me forgive his average mic skills.
Richardson is quite a knowledgable bloke. Sells himself short in the box imo. Seems to treat it like an episode of The Crowd Goes Wild. (A sports show which takes the piss out of sport).

Atherton also knows his stuff however his slagging off of my beloved Black Caps makes me treat his opinions with the credibility of a British tabloid.

Bob Willis seems to personify "grumpy old man sydrome." God help us if him and Crowe or Doull are in the box together.

99*

International Debutant
Cirie*. Yeh it just seemed so obvious that something was up, I really don't know why you don't look after yourself at that stage and then hope for a miracle that you can persuade the jury to get you the million, at least you're giving yourself a chance. Who do you reckon was dumber, Jason or Eric? Both just seemed so oblivious to the whole game at times.

Don't think its confirmed but Sky just put up a team list with Flynn at 6. Oram, Vettori, Southee, Mills, Martin the five bowlers.
Eric, without a doubt, like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a car.

God I hate trading spouses! :@

What's radio sport like now, taking callers or do they have bbc coverage atm?

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I actually think Atherton's alright, I guess it depends who hes on with - if its another commentator with a relatively soft tone it can get quite dull IMO but otherwise good.
The soft voice just doesn't suit him at all IMO - he's not an Arlott or CMJ who is nice and nice about everyone - see his recent comments on NZ, he's not afraid to say harsh stuff if it's what he thinks. Always been the same, too - see his comments on the domestic game in this country in 2000, his "someone get this buffoon out of here?" (admittedly this was at a time he was under immense pressure) in 1996 and others.

It's kinda like the hard edge under the soft voice, totally different to most softly spoken commentators. And it comes-out brilliantly in his writing, where tone is not a problem that has to be overcome.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Richardson is quite a knowledgable bloke. Sells himself short in the box imo. Seems to treat it like an episode of The Crowd Goes Wild. (A sports show which takes the piss out of sport).
Absolutely, hence how I can't really stand him. Ditto Doull, Larsen, Morrison, Crowe et al. Smith and Coney are so far ahead of other Kiwi commentators that I'm currently acquainted with it's untrue.

Actually, don't too much mind Bryan Waddle or Grant Nisbett, but I know so many others do.
Atherton also knows his stuff however his slagging off of my beloved Black Caps makes me treat his opinions with the credibility of a British tabloid.
Obviously, don't often agree with him or anyone else on that note, a bit too simplistic for my money. But Atherton is far from the only Brit to take this line.
Bob Willis seems to personify "grumpy old man sydrome." God help us if him and Crowe or Doull are in the box together.
Willis >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Doull. Doull honestly is one of the worst I've ever heard and Willis generally I've always found keeps things interesting.