• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why is everyone being so nasty about Flynn? Admittedly he didn't make a score, but from what I heard (and admittedly I was only listening to the radio), he didn't look like he was having too much trouble before he was unfortunately bowled. Indeed, the commentators why quite complementary about him, and Andrew Miller rated his leg flick off Collingwood as the most elegant shot of the day.
Commentators are generally complementary about young players they've never seen before.

(Presuming you're talking about commentators from over here, obv)

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah Oram every now and then seems to turn up and bowl superbly, but it's not often enough. Otherwise he's probing without ever being too threatening.
Think with Oram it totally depends on the pitch, not whether he turns-up. Generally I've always found him to be very effective on seaming decks and pretty much never on non-seaming ones, just tends to block-up an end.

And as Kev said, if the pitch were to play like it did yesterday, can see Oram doing damn well as he's just the sort of bowler that wicket needs. Accurate, good seam position, and great bounce so the edges will carry. Mills and Southee have the advantage of being swingers too, but they don't have Oram's height and there were a fair few edges that dropped short yesterday, even from the taller Broad.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
Have to agree that Flynn looked terrible last night. He just doesn't seem to have a style which can succeed at international level - prods and pokes and doesn't look confident.

Days of Grace

International Captain
Am expecting us to get at least 250. Anything over that is quite good, considering we were 100/5 or thereabouts. Over 300 would be great. Over 350 would be outstanding.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha, David Lloyd really fell down in my estimation yesterday, talking about how it was a "beautiful bit of bowling" from Panesar to get McCullum, it was basically a leg stump half volley that he managed to misjudge ffs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Haha, David Lloyd really fell down in my estimation yesterday, talking about how it was a "beautiful bit of bowling" from Panesar to get McCullum, it was basically a leg stump half volley that he managed to misjudge ffs.
Yep, classic example of people trying to give bowlers credit for a wicket they didn't remotely earn. Especially when it's a bowler everyone has gone OTT about in the past.

The_Bunny

State Regular
Forgot how much i love the English commentry team, they > everyone else by a huge margin...

And I was asleep by the time Monty got Mcullum so I'll overlook Bumbles supposed slip up :p

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
To be fair, Lloyd often makes fun of Monty's fielding so he probably feels an obligation to make it up to him by praising him when he successfully performs the role he's in the team to perform.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
To be fair, Lloyd often makes fun of Monty's fielding so he probably feels an obligation to make it up to him by praising him when he successfully performs the role he's in the team to perform.
Maybe. Never felt MSP's fielding is something to laugh about in any way, though - it truly is shocking that anyone can be that bad and it could potentially cost the team quite badly someday. I don't mind in the least about his poor batting, there's many who've been that bad. But the fielding has always been a worry. When he first appeared, it seemed he was merely a poor fielder. Now we see he's actually an awful, awful one.

Proportional criticism and praise is much better.

A fair bit of bounce in the surface still this morning with one from Sidebottom zipping through very nicely despite being sent down at just 81mph.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
In Daniel Vettori's last 28 Tests in the last 5 years for and against Test-class teams he has averaged 39.64 with the bat.

Impressive indeed.