• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Why? England have a history of not playing a spinner for certain games. Its not like it would be anything revolutionary.
For every time they've done it, there's perhaps 4 times they haven't, due to the "you must have variation" crap.

Honestly, I lost count of the number of times Giles played home (and sometimes away) Tests when he shouldn't have. MSP will presumably be the same, and it'll damage both the chances of the team and the prospects of the player as he'll be playing when he shouldn't be and not having a chance to take good figures.

Anway, here as we speak is MSP.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Monty on! Probably two overs before tea?
Two fairly close lbws there. Second one almost certainly outside off, but the first closer.

NZ mustn't fall prey to the same thing WI did last year, playing straight balls that were never going to turn as if they were.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum starting to look edgy. He'll be chipped out shortly after tea.
Oram to continue his poor form with the bat.
Vettori does his best to marshall the tail as he always does, but with little real benefit.
160 ao.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
As so often, Sir Michael Jagger is in the crowd. As is Stephen Waugh.

Another four byes here, some difficult takes for Ambrose today which he hasn't managed.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Marshall: an attempt (usually unsuccesful) to squeeze a lot out of something with limited potential.
;)

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
There was 1 game in the 2001 Ashes as well, but I can only think of 1 game since then: Headingley 2003. The fact that the seamers were rubbish there seemed to convince people that a spinner would have done better. 8-)

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
There was 1 game in the 2001 Ashes as well, but I can only think of 1 game since then: Headingley 2003. The fact that the seamers were rubbish there seemed to convince people that a spinner would have done better. 8-)
Not entirely unreasonable, imo. Especially when Zondeki was hanging around forever to help Kirsten resurrect the SA 1st innings.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Nice fifty from McCullum. A few too many silly shots for my liking, but I suppose that's part of the package. Now wouldn't it be nice if he could go on with it for a change?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I'll be exceptionally surprised if so TBH (if NZ get close to 300).
It's not out of the question, especially with Sidebottom apparently out of sorts. And if they do manage 275+, NZ will be very handily placed, imo. Anyone out where with much faith in England's top order against Martin & Mills in helpful conditions? Thought not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Not entirely unreasonable, imo. Especially when Zondeki was hanging around forever to help Kirsten resurrect the SA 1st innings.
There is no way in a million years Giles' presence would've helped there. He offered no threat whatsoever in any Test all summer.

And have you forgotten the several million other instances where the exact same thing happened (be it top-order or top-and-tail) with a fingerspinner in the side when the surface did not aid spin?

I really hope not.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's not out of the question, especially with Sidebottom apparently out of sorts. And if they do manage 275+, NZ will be very handily placed, imo. Anyone out where with much faith in England's top order against Martin & Mills in helpful conditions? Thought not.
Question is, how helpful are the conditions going to be? The pitch has virtually stopped seaming, the ball's not really swinging a hell of a lot as it gets older, and NZ's attack could conceivably struggle.

Of course, new ball will be a very different matter, but let's wait and see.

andruid

Cricketer Of The Year
Well that (thankfully) puts paid to my 160 prediction. Still don't see 300 though.
Mcullum to ton up and lead NZ to 354 all out

Also Boycott having a go at the lack of swing bowlers nowadays. Anybody playing Cricinfo' fantasy league. Need league to join.

Last edited: