• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well that (thankfully) puts paid to my 160 prediction. Still don't see 300 though.
Wouldn't put it past them TBH. Obviously would need to be scored in the vast majority by these two and the next man (Vettori) but it's certainly possible. McCullum for once is playing extremely well, best I've seen him bat in a Test since 2004.

It can all change any second with just 1 ball, though.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Wouldn't put it past them TBH. Obviously would need to be scored in the vast majority by these two and the next man (Vettori) but it's certainly possible. McCullum for once is playing extremely well, best I've seen him bat in a Test since 2004.

It can all change any second with just 1 ball, though.
Yeah, but even if McCullum does continue to ride his luck, Oram's looking quite dreadful at the moment, and the conditions would make things difficult for Vettori to survive the evening. I hope your right, but I'm not full of confidence.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I honestly don't think you can complain either way for those. If they're given out, fair enough. But equally I don't think you can expect them to be given out.

Rain coming down steadily now. Oh well, I guess we've been lucky to get as much play as we have.

Pup Clarke

Cricketer Of The Year
I honestly don't think you can complain either way for those. If they're given out, fair enough. But equally I don't think you can expect them to be given out.
But why, it's pretty obvious imo to tell whether it's bat first and both were hitting middle of middle, Monty has every right to be frustrated with these decisions, McCullum really wasn't very far forward in any of them.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
It's far from obvious. If you've got slow-mo close-up replays with pin-sharp pictures you can tell easily, but you can't always in real-time, with one look, in dim light. I've no objection to those not being given.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will this finally be McCullum's first Test century against a Test-class team?

If so, long overdue.

Sheeysh, well as he's hit some of them, he's had some ones fall in the gaps. That will happen occasionally, and well done to him for playing well. He can't expect this to happen again in the series (or for a while) mind.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
It would be truly deserved if he gets it. This has been a rescue act of Cairns-like quality.

EDIT: Oh brendon...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Will this finally be McCullum's first Test century against a Test-class team?
No, he can't! Out within a hit of a century at Lord's AGAIN!

MSP gets him, somehow he's just played around a ball on his pads, which deflects onto the stumps.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
McCullum to be the next Shane Warne? (in terms of the missing out on hundreds from close range repeatedly, rather than being the greatest leg spinner of all time)

Seriously, surely at some point he must learn to play with some circumspect when he starts getting near that 100 mark.

Last edited:

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Can't comment on the 99 against Sri Lanka as I don't recall how he was dismissed, but he had no fault whatsoever for his previous one at Lord's, the 96, it was simply brilliant bowling from Simon Jones that could've had him any time over the previous half-hour or so. Nor was this dismissal a result of a lack of circumspection, he just missed a ball he should've hit. Was a fairly judicious stroke - the right sort of stroke - he just played it badly.