• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Outswing from Broad. That's very interesting, and very encouraging from his POV.

First time I've ever seen him get the ball to swing away from the right-hander.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
That really was an astonishingly stupid innings from Taylor. An innings that made McCullum's usual excesses look like a Boycott masterclass. Perhaps he should just be banned from 20/20 from now on.

EDIT: As I say that, McCullum batting quite sensibly so far. Long may it continue.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
So Im sat in the office on the other side of the Continent.

I cant wait to get home and watch, but what are the conditions exactly like. Overly green? quick? slow? overcast? Clear? etc

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
England gone with their usual 3 and a half bowling attack then. So great having Panesar instead of someone like Hoggard eh. Hopefully Colly has a good day with the ball.

Steulen

International Regular
So Im sat in the office on the other side of the Continent.

I cant wait to get home and watch, but what are the conditions exactly like. Overly green? quick? slow? overcast? Clear? etc
Very overcast, slightly green pitch and there's of course the ever-present Lord's slope to take into account. The outfield is slow, and a few crisp strikes along the ground have not made it further than a 2 or 3.

The Sky commentators were just now mentioning that the conditions must be near-perfect for swing bowling if Stuart Broad (not a swing bowler, normally) is getting considerable outswing.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Very overcast, slightly green pitch and there's of course the ever-present Lord's slope to take into account. The outfield is slow, and a few crisp strikes along the ground have not made it further than a 2 or 3.

The Sky commentators were just now mentioning that the conditions must be near-perfect for swing bowling if Stuart Broad (not a swing bowler, normally) is getting considerable outswing.
Madness then that Hoggard isnt there.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Can't help thinking a good attack would have had NZ 5 down in these conditions. Obv Marshall should have gone anyway, but even so we haven't done quite as much as we should imo. And I think our batting will struggle hugely. If NZ can muster 200, they may well be in a decent position.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Funnily enough Anderson has been the pick of the bowlers so far.
Given the conditions Id have had him over Broad. This English attack upsets me so much, there isnt 1 bowler I personally rate highly :)

Last edited:

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
For once, I'd have to agree with Scaly that Panesar shouldn't be playing ahead of Hoggard in this game. If the quicks do their jobs, Panesar should barely get a bowl in these conditions.

Steulen

International Regular
For once, I'd have to agree with Scaly that Panesar shouldn't be playing ahead of Hoggard in this game. If the quicks do their jobs, Panesar should barely get a bowl in these conditions.
Disagree. Having these conditions and a continuous swing attack is Plan A, but this is a Test match and you need to have a Plan B.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
It's not just the conditions, look at England's seamers. It's not like they've got 3 experiences greats. They've got 1 who's as erratic as hell (Anderson), Broad who's also erratic, very young and doesn't have much experience and then Sidebottom who's a bit more reliable who ironically is the one bowling some rubbish. So you've got 1 good old county pro type seamer and 2 a bit on and off and a part-timer - it's not enough.

England can't afford to accommodate a nothing bowler like Panesar who's only effective occasionally.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Disagree. Having these conditions and a continuous swing attack is Plan A, but this is a Test match and you need to have a Plan B.
Nah, there is never a need for a Plan B which entails bowling the guy less likely to get wickets.

In these condition (as described to me) it should be a diet of seam as only having 3 seamers means Plan A can never be properly put into action.

Steulen

International Regular
It's not just the conditions, look at England's seamers. It's not like they've got 3 experiences greats. They've got 1 who's as erratic as hell (Anderson), Broad who's also erratic, very young and doesn't have much experience and then Sidebottom who's a bit more reliable who ironically is the one bowling some rubbish. So you've got 1 good old county pro type seamer and 2 a bit on and off and a part-timer - it's not enough.

England can't afford to accommodate a nothing bowler like Panesar who's only effective occasionally.
But in these conditions, if 3 (and a bit) pace bowlers can't do it, would a 4th have made the difference?