• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Flem274*

123/5
I'm going to cover my right eye coming out of left field and predict a win for NZ. Someone mad had to do it after all and there's no one better than me to predict it.

Jakester1288

International Regular
England 1 Alastair Cook, 2 Andrew Strauss, 3 Michael Vaughan (capt), 4 Kevin Pietersen, 5 Ian Bell, 6 Paul Collingwood, 7 Tim Ambrose (wk), 8 Stuart Broad, 9 Ryan Sidebottom, 10 Monty Panesar, 11 James Anderson

New Zealand 1 Jamie How, 2 Aaron Redmond, 3 Brendon McCullum, 4 Ross Taylor, 5 Daniel Flynn, 6 Gareth Hopkins (wk), 7 Jacob Oram, 8 Daniel Vettori (capt), 9 Kyle Mills, 10 Iain O'Brien, 11 Chris Martin.

Fairly even sides tbh. Good to ssee Strauss opening again. I really rate him. When he learns more about where his off stump is and when to play forward or back he will be massive. That form slump last year resulted in him batting forth but I have tremendous faith in his ability.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Brendon McCullum has a dodgy back apparently and won't keep, but he will bat at No. 3. That means Gareth Hopkins comes in for his Test debut and Peter Fulton misses out. And it'll be Iain O'Brien to take the final fast-bowling spot ahead of Tim Southee.

Big news, McCullum to 3, nice move.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Can’t believe New Zealand didn’t include Southee, Trent Bridge is a swinging ground and aside from Mills his probably New Zealand’s best proponent of swing bowling.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Brendon McCullum has a dodgy back apparently and won't keep, but he will bat at No. 3. That means Gareth Hopkins comes in for his Test debut and Peter Fulton misses out. And it'll be Iain O'Brien to take the final fast-bowling spot ahead of Tim Southee.

Sooooo dire.

Flem274*

123/5
I'm severely tempted to withdraw my prediction.

As talented as McCullum is, Fulton is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than McCullum at number three in FC cricket. I'd expect the same in Test cricket.

EDIT: O'Briens inclusion is justified. Bowled well last game. If Southee wants his spot back he's going to have to earn it and wait for O'Brien to put some rubbish together.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
not happy with McCullum at 3. Ridiculous, he hasn't even proved himself as a number 5 batsman/keeper and it is likely he will play some rash Twenty20 shot and get himself out as usual.
NZ Selections are a joke, particularly when you have Bracewell, Vettori and McCullum himself selecting the team.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I'm severely tempted to withdraw my prediction.

As talented as McCullum is, Fulton is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>than McCullum at number three in FC cricket. I'd expect the same in Test cricket.

EDIT: O'Briens inclusion is justified. Bowled well last game. If Southee wants his spot back he's going to have to earn it and wait for O'Brien to put some rubbish together.
Agree with all that. Frankly, with Mills down at #9, you can afford O'Brien at #10 - who's still a better bat than either of England's 10 or 11 (albeit marginally).

If McCullum's too poorly to keep, then what the hell is he doing playing? I've seen great batsmen play through back problems in recent times (Thorpe and Ponting for example) but really, is it worth the risk if its bad enough to stop him keeping?

Flem274*

123/5
not happy with McCullum at 3. Ridiculous, he hasn't even proved himself as a number 5 batsman/keeper and it is likely he will play some rash Twenty20 shot and get himself out as usual.
NZ Selections are a joke, particularly when you have Bracewell, Vettori and McCullum himself selecting the team.
Haha, promote himself up the order. I'll give him credit for nerve.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Yeah, you'd think Flynn would've been a better bet at three in this team. Disappointing for McCullum that he can't keep, but if Hopkins has to play he has to play.

Flem274*

123/5
Agree with all that. Frankly, with Mills down at #9, you can afford O'Brien at #10 - who's still a better bat than either of England's 10 or 11 (albeit marginally).

If McCullum's too poorly to keep, then what the hell is he doing playing? I've seen great batsmen play through back problems in recent times (Thorpe and Ponting for example) but really, is it worth the risk if its bad enough to stop him keeping?
Yeah, if he takes a diving catch in the field and lands poorly...

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Pretty strange decision for mine but he can't be any worse than Marshall.

Interested to see how Hopkins gets on, seen him a couple of times and he looked woeful with the bat but that was in limited overs cricket.

Leslie1

U19 Captain
So if McCullum fails, and Hopkins score a double century from nowhere, does that mean we will play with two wicketkeepers from now on?

How is this blooding players in their positions, or even trying to win the test? I'm sorry that Dan seems to have fallen in love with Flynn. It's all good so long as he puts in some solid scores, his honeymoon period is OVER. Backing him to score some runs in this one.

Flem274*

123/5
Pretty strange decision for mine but he can't be any worse than Marshall.

Interested to see how Hopkins gets on, seen him a couple of times and he looked woeful with the bat but that was in limited overs cricket.
From what I've seen he scores off the cover drive alot. He's OK in domestic cricket, dunno about tests. His keeping is up to standard, pretty reliable with the gloves.

sportychic33

State 12th Man
Yeah, you'd think Flynn would've been a better bet at three in this team. Disappointing for McCullum that he can't keep, but if Hopkins has to play he has to play.
I would have had Fulton at 3.
Where would McCullum field, he can't really field at Slip as there is a lot of bending and stretching in that and he probably shouldn't go on the boundary as I doubt his throwing arm is that strong and throwing would probably aggrevate his sore back.