• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

Swervy

International Captain
Tell me now - how the hell does "40" not sound like much more than "30"? Far greater than the difference between, say, 70 and 80.

Anyway, that's victory.
I dont think that is what we were talking about to be honest!

maybe we were, don't really care now

BoyBrumby

Englishman
True, but he effectively took no more part in the match than the squad members who didn't make the XI.
Obviously having an eye tooth broken off at the root doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but part of me can't help be a little disappointed he didn't suck it up in the second innings with his team badly in the mire.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Something being bollocks seems to be on the same level of reasoning as 39 being a vastly different number from 40.
Numerically, it's not. Psychologically in terms of a run-chase when wickets are not plentiful, it's huge.

99*

International Debutant
Well done England.

But (and I don't care about Panesar Richard) NZ lost this match without a doubt, the mindset of NZ has to change and drastically. We get to a position where any good team would dominate from then on, but once we lose some wickets it becomes clear NZ panic and try to get as much on the board as possible (Vettori, Mills and I can't remember the other one) without batting out a day, Taylor showed what needed to be done but had no one support him.
In the bowling department I'm dissapointed at Vettori with his fields, instead of attacking England and forcing the batsmen to take risk to get runs he defends and places people back gifting ones/twos. It wasn't till Colly and Bell were in that the fields were attacking after the match was won. I really think we need Patel in the side because he is one of our best bowlers if it costs us a batsman then so be it, but we need another option to bowl with and Patel is the best of the ones we brought along.
If we want to win we need to stop thinking we have the game won after one good first innings, we have to play all five days, not just the first two.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Obviously having an eye tooth broken off at the root doesn't sound like a lot of fun, but part of me can't help be a little disappointed he didn't suck it up in the second innings with his team badly in the mire.
Apart from the fact they actually weren't (had the pitch continued to play as it did on Sunday NZ would've won easily) I love the way all these people are judging him having almost certainly never experienced the injury in question.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
But (and I don't care about Panesar Richard) NZ lost this match without a doubt
But can you not see that however NZ had played him, he'd have taken wickets, the way the pitch was playing yesterday? Probably as quickly as he did, or at worst for few if any more runs.

99*

International Debutant
But can you not see that however NZ had played him, he'd have taken wickets, the way the pitch was playing yesterday? Probably as quickly as he did, or at worst for few if any more runs.
Those few more run can add up. Just like you've said before, the difference between 30-40 runs is huge and in this match had the target been 300+ then it may have been very different.

Well done to Panesar, deserves it tbh.