• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in England

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Great performance from Strauss today. Will be interested if he gets MOTM, imagie Taylor will get it yet we'd have lost this by some distance but for Strauss.
hocking. IAnd yes, Colly really does look shocking. It's like watching myself bat.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Great performance from Strauss today. Will be interested if he gets MOTM, imagie Taylor will get it yet we'd have lost this by some distance but for Strauss.
TBF I don't think Strauss' innings was all that much worse than Taylor's, but generally unless there's some massive gap there the MOTM goes to the top-scorer of the winning side.

I'd be more surprised to see Taylor get it than Strauss, much as Taylor's has been the most impressive performance of this game.

GGG

State Captain
hocking. IAnd yes, Colly really does look shocking. It's like watching myself bat.
Have to be Panasar he is the sole reason that England got out of a position of almost certain defeat.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Dunno, remember Yousuf getting the MOTM in similar circumstances 2 years back, also when I felt Strauss should have had it

Swervy

International Captain
Indeed. It's well-known. 100, 50, 39, 9 - the tick-them-off points on the road to victory.
right, I must have missed that in all the years I have watched the game, and read about it, never heard anyone say that 39 is one of the goals for a run chase. Can I ask why it changes from numbers like 100, and 50 to numbers that end in 9 all of a sudden?

Why is 29 not one of these magic numbers, or 19?

Or is it that you have just made it up? Come on now, tell us the truth!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
right, I must have missed that in all the years I have watched the game, and read about it, never heard anyone say that 39 is one of the goals for a run chase. Can I ask why it changes from numbers like 100, and 50 to numbers that end in 9 all of a sudden?

Why is 29 not one of these magic numbers, or 19?

Or is it that you have just made it up? Come on now, tell us the truth!
Tell me now - how the hell does "40" not sound like much more than "30"? Far greater than the difference between, say, 70 and 80.

Anyway, that's victory.

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Hahahaha, no chance. We'll be having Tea after this over or the next.

Neither of these batsman can possibly be stupid enough to risk not-outs, especially after both of them should've gone for single-figure scores but for let-offs.
I love it when your knowledge of the game shines out like this.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
There you go. England win.

An amazing Test match with 2 ordinary teams playing (I know I said that earlier as well).

I was thinking if Id grade any of the NZ players as above a 3 on a 1-5 scale and my conclusion was 'No!'.

Low standard of cricket but that sometimes means good entertainment.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I was thinking if Id grade any of the NZ players as above a 3 on a 1-5 scale and my conclusion was 'No!'.
Not even Taylor? He batted very well and took a number of good catches.

He'd be the only one to escape criticism from me.

Swervy

International Captain
cracking comeback by England.... both teams seriously flawed, but yeah, that can make for fun cricket to watch