• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

jcas0167

International Debutant
Yeah, not sure I'd want the Donk anywhere near the test side atm, guy seldom delivers under pressure
Not sure this is really fair. Ronchi delivered in the domestic ODI final last year, scored a 99 against South Africa at Bay Oval when the top order collapsed, scored that 170 in Dunedin when the game looked lost & also closed out the one in Nelson with 20 or so off an over. He had a poor World Cup. I'd be more concerned about whether technically he is equipped to he can handle the duke ball swinging around.

cnerd123

likes this
Re: Southee - what was going wrong for him on his 'off' spells? Albi's point about all the lefties affecting his ability to plug away outside off is a good one, but was there anything else that seemed to be troubling him?

didnt watch a single ball of this Test and was curious. He looked offboil in the WC too - seemed to be lacking zip and was bowling too straight. Felt like a rhythm issue but wasn't sure. Was the same thing happening here?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Been busy lately so haven't followed the games as much.. NBA taking up most of my time.. But looks like England pulled off a blinder.. Cook finally making some runs a huge relief I'm sure..
Saying finally assumes you're ignoring the century and 6 fifties he's scored in the previous 6 games then - why don't they count?

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Not sure this is really fair. Ronchi delivered in the domestic ODI final last year, scored a 99 against South Africa at Bay Oval when the top order collapsed, scored that 170 in Dunedin when the game looked lost & also closed out the one in Nelson with 20 or so off an over. He had a poor World Cup. I'd be more concerned about whether technically he is equipped to he can handle the duke ball swinging around.
Yeah, that's precisely why we wouldn't want him in the lineup, not when there's already Anderson, McCullum and a lower order that's playing in T20 mode. Have no problem with him being in the limited over sides. For tests, they really should zero in on another understudy for Watling (de Boorder maybe?) and start picking him for these tours.

Flem274*

123/5
Back craig. This is nothing new. He doesn't have a middle ground. he has 3 match winning performances and just as many horrors in his few tests. This game has no bearing on how he will bowl in the next. The jeets lovers complain about how he was treated - lets not repeat past possible mistakes with the man who rolled WI on dayboo, pak in UAE and SL in the test before this

Antihippy

International Debutant
Not that I think that he is as good as lyon at the moment but you blokes have to remember how lyon was treated. Sure he's going to have his off days but just stick with him and give him time to develop, instead of chopping and changing constantly and doing stuff like bringing in glenn maxwell as your main test spinner.

Moss

International Vice-Captain
Back craig. This is nothing new. He doesn't have a middle ground. he has 3 match winning performances and just as many horrors in his few tests. This game has no bearing on how he will bowl in the next. The jeets lovers complain about how he was treated - lets not repeat past possible mistakes with the man who rolled WI on dayboo, pak in UAE and SL in the test before this
Mark Craig is like the bowling equivalent pf Tim McIntosh. For the most part you wonder why he's in the team but he does maintain this track record of one good game/innings per series. Not the soundest cricketing logic for retaining him, but yeah..

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Saying finally assumes you're ignoring the century and 6 fifties he's scored in the previous 6 games then - why don't they count?
It's bizarre, but tbf it's not just viriya. Many on here and further afar have ignored his turnaround in Test form. Perhaps it's because since he first showed signs of turning it around we went a whole heap of time without playing a Test, during which time he sucked in ODIs, or maybe it's because he's been under pressure as skipper. But it's incredible really. He's averaging something like 70 this year I believe.

spudungeyee

Cricket Spectator
To be fair under cooked New Zealand batsman were always going to struggle in English conditions and it was proved that way. There isn't much better than what they have they just need a bit more cricket.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
It's bizarre, but tbf it's not just viriya. Many on here and further afar have ignored his turnaround in Test form. Perhaps it's because since he first showed signs of turning it around we went a whole heap of time without playing a Test, during which time he sucked in ODIs, or maybe it's because he's been under pressure as skipper. But it's incredible really. He's averaging something like 70 this year I believe.
Since losing to India at Lords: http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/en...4;spanval1=span;template=results;type=batting

Gotta thank Jadeja for making this all possible.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Mark Craig is like the bowling equivalent pf Tim McIntosh. For the most part you wonder why he's in the team but he does maintain this track record of one good game/innings per series. Not the soundest cricketing logic for retaining him, but yeah..
He reminds me of Jason Krejza. Commentators tended to really like him but the selectors soon concluded that a mediocre defensive spinner tends to balance a test side better than a mediocre attacking one.

What might keep him in the side is McCullum's obsessive preference for aggressive cricket, and the positive effect that's had on the team.

Zinzan

He reminds me of Jason Krejza. Commentators tended to really like him but the selectors soon concluded that a mediocre defensive spinner tends to balance a test side better than a mediocre attacking one.

What might keep him in the side is McCullum's obsessive preference for aggressive cricket, and the positive effect that's had on the team
Either that or the fact we have nobody else

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Because part of his bad form was 'x months without a century' which wasn't rectified against India and his century against the Windies resulted in defeat. This is the first ton Cook's scored that's resulted in a win for **** knows how long.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member

What might keep him in the side is McCullum's obsessive preference for aggressive cricket, and the positive effect that's had on the team.
He was getting considerably less revs than Moeen was though.

Uppercut

He was getting considerably less revs than Moeen was though.
That was the first time I've seen him play and I can't think of anything positive to say. Looked like someone you would only pick if you hated winning. But presumably he's not that bad all of the time.

Stapel

International Regular
Maybe his Test form was never as bad as we made it? Form can be such a hard to describe thing. When Cook came back form the 10/11 Ashes, and continued his fine form against Sri Lanka in the summer, he started the series vs India with 4 absolute failure innings, to follow up with nearly a 300....

Stapel

International Regular
Because part of his bad form was 'x months without a century' which wasn't rectified against India and his century against the Windies resulted in defeat. This is the first ton Cook's scored that's resulted in a win for **** knows how long.
It's a thin line. Personally, I dislike the idea that form is linked to stripped down statistics like "long time since defining ton in a win".

flibbertyjibber

Maybe his Test form was never as bad as we made it? Form can be such a hard to describe thing. When Cook came back form the 10/11 Ashes, and continued his fine form against Sri Lanka in the summer, he started the series vs India with 4 absolute failure innings, to follow up with nearly a 300....
He was out of form like in the summer of 2010 he was getting out prodding outside off stump and being caught by keeper or slips on too many occasions. Yes he will still get out that way but at least he has basically taken that shot out of his game for now and is reaping the rewards.