• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Moss

International Vice-Captain
That was the first time I've seen him play and I can't think of anything positive to say. Looked like someone you would only pick if you hated winning. But presumably he's not that bad all of the time.
In much the same way Duncan Fletcher stuck by Ashley Giles because he provided some additional batting depth, I think Hesson and McCullum feel Craig's batting ability is something that can't be ignored. Though he certainly didn't show it at Lord's, he does have two half-centuries and was difficult to dislodge in the Windies and the UAE.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Maybe his Test form was never as bad as we made it? Form can be such a hard to describe thing. When Cook came back form the 10/11 Ashes, and continued his fine form against Sri Lanka in the summer, he started the series vs India with 4 absolute failure innings, to follow up with nearly a 300....
Oh he was definitely out of form. Even those fifties against India weren't that great in all honesty. Combination of the Indian team at its absolute nadir and some luck ggot him his runs. It was the century vs WI where I felt he truly got back into form. Was a top knock in difficult conditions.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In much the same way Duncan Fletcher stuck by Ashley Giles because he provided some additional batting depth, I think Hesson and McCullum feel Craig's batting ability is something that can't be ignored. Though he certainly didn't show it at Lord's, he does have two half-centuries and was difficult to dislodge in the Windies and the UAE.
Ahh. In that case he won't score any runs. Agarkar's Law.

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
Oh he was definitely out of form. Even those fifties against India weren't that great in all honesty. Combination of the Indian team at its absolute nadir and some luck ggot him his runs. It was the century vs WI where I felt he truly got back into form. Was a top knock in difficult conditions.
Yeah, and tbf, he had 11 ODI's without a fifty in between the Indian tests and the WI tests. He looked the goods second test v WI though.

Moss

During that final session on the third day (when NZ got rid of Lyth and Ballance), Cook was playing with such exceptional judgement, you just felt he was back to somewhere near his 2010-11 best and the kiwi bowlers would have to work very hard to get him out the next day. As it turned out they couldn't; it was vintage stuff.

starofwonder

Cricket Spectator
Yeah , Cookie is looking on form and up for it.... Root too
... Broaders is getting back to his best.......... Ben Stokes is playing a blinder

the only flop in the Lords Test was Bellers.. he did nt get started.... better luck at Headingly .. a ton there
in the first innings will get him back on song.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Saying finally assumes you're ignoring the century and 6 fifties he's scored in the previous 6 games then - why don't they count?
Not sure whether viriya ignored his recent runs. However, for me, this is far more significant. It puts more confidence in him. I would like to see him score runs in more testing conditions, mind, but these are welcome runs.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
To be fair under cooked New Zealand batsman were always going to struggle in English conditions and it was proved that way. There isn't much better than what they have they just need a bit more cricket.
So undercooked that they scored over 500 in the first innings?

Moss

So undercooked that they scored over 500 in the first innings?
I think the bulk of that was down to favourable batting conditions on day two. On day three with the cloud cover it was noticeably harder. IMO only BJ Watling really came close to mastering the conditions the way Cook did. (KW was good but offered chances)

Spark

Global Moderator
Doesn't effect the swing. However, if the ball is slowing down after pitching, it is easier to play it except with the ball is very full near yorker length, say.
so basically you're saying the pitch being slightly slow means that the conditions weren't sufficiently testing for him to be absolutely in form, i.e. because the pitch wasn't a screaming sa/aus greentop. a+ lawjik

Cabinet96

Hall of Fame Member
I don't think the pitch was that slow at all really. Look at the dismissals of Williamson and Walting on the final day. You'd expect a fifth day pitch to be slower than a 4th day one as well. Think the pace of the pitch can also help explain the high scoring rates throughout the game despite there often being a lot of cloud cover.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
so basically you're saying the pitch being slightly slow means that the conditions weren't sufficiently testing for him to be absolutely in form, i.e. because the pitch wasn't a screaming sa/aus greentop. a+ lawjik
No. I am saying

A) This inning means I have more confidence in his ability than his performances in West Indies,
B) If I see him in more testing conditions, I will have added confidence.