• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I'm done with him for this tour in these seam friendly conditions. Why can't we have an accurate spinner. Also Bracewell would be a welcome addition at number 8 for batting. Caveat unless OT is a bunsen.
Hasn't Headingley traditionally spun in recent years though or am I getting mixed up with Old Trafford?

Athlai

Not Terrible
I'm done with him for this tour in these seam friendly conditions. Why can't we have an accurate spinner. Also Bracewell would be a welcome addition at number 8 for batting. Caveat unless OT is a bunsen.
Sodhi is worse. Taste probably too. Beard and NcCullum will probably be better defensively but will never take a big haul. Jeets is on the way out. We just have no current options.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
We made that mistake last time we toured England. Let's not repeat it.

Zinzan

Sodhi is worse. Taste probably too. Beard and NcCullum will probably be better defensively but will never take a big haul. Jeets is on the way out. We just have no current options.
The irony is for all the criticism Vettori got in the 2nd half of his test career for not being much of a 'striker' with the ball, he would have been the ideal foil for the other bowlers with that 140 run lead. A typical Vettori spell of 28 overs 2/81 would have done been just what the doctor ordered.

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, based on how he went on the rare occasions when we had Bond in the team, I'm guessing that Vettori would've had a much stronger career record if his career had coincided with Soult. Conversely, guys like Sodhi and Craig would probably average close to three figures if they'd played in Vettori's day.

Last edited:

Zinzan

Yeah, the problem started when Vettori became our main strike bowler along with Martin in the latter half of his career, remembering of course how the few number of tests Bond played in.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
One plus for NZ fans is they might not have to read a certain amount of drivel after the next test whatever the result of that if that person carries on.

Who knew that the reason NZ lost was because Brathwaite is a better opener than the NZ guys?

So looking forward to the 2nd test, if it is half as good as this one just gone it'll be a cracker. Would imagine England will be unchanged and NZ are sweating on Watling and Anderson. Could Watling open and Latham bat lower down and keep?
Tbh I'd prefer

1. Baz
2. Gupterrrrrrl
3. Kane
4. Luteru
5. Watling
6. Anderson
7. Latham+

I'd even prefer 5. Baz 6. Watling 7. Latham with Rutherford opening than include Ronchi (if CJ is unfit). That's how little faith I have in the donkey at this stage.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Craig batted like arse in the first Test but I still actually rate his batting about on par with Bracewell's. I don't think either are particularly likely to do anything useful with the bat in these conditions. Just have to stick with him; he may not be Test standard outside of big turning conditions but there's no-one who'd actually add more to the team in his place other than Jeets, and that's not going to happen.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
Craig batted like arse in the first Test but I still actually rate his batting about on par with Bracewell's. I don't think either are particularly likely to do anything useful with the bat in these conditions. Just have to stick with him; he may not be Test standard outside of big turning conditions but there's no-one who'd actually add more to the team in his place other than Jeets, and that's not going to happen.
His inning against Ali in the first dig was disgraceful, I could have survived those two balls. I find it difficult to believe that doug would not have done better. Certainly at least with the benefit of hindsight knowledge you would conclude that and after watching lord kippax's video of Craig against spin you would have to conclude he is weak in that area even if he can be halfway decent against pace.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
The more I think about it this match boiled down to stokes outplaying Anderson and Ali outdoing Craig.
Corey bowls 80mph in New Zealand but only bowled 73 clicks in this match, I apologise to him if the speed gun was off.
I really thought Corey's bowling would be a point of difference in the test but he didn't contribute much.

Last edited:

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
In honour of tonight's sequence of events and ww's long service on this message board I will be composing an ode to him tomorrow night when I have some free time.

jcas0167

International Debutant
The more I think about it this match boiled down to stokes outplaying Anderson and Ali outdoing Craig.
Corey bowls 80mph in New Zealand but only bowled 73 clicks in this match, I apologise to him if the speed gun was off.
I really thought Corey's bowling would be a point of difference in the test but he didn't contribute much.
Similarly in 2004, I think Flintoff outplayed Oram. Not sure what happened to Craig, whether it was the slope or the occasion but he was surprisingly poor.

Zinzan

Tbh I'd prefer

1. Baz
2. Gupterrrrrrl
3. Kane
4. Luteru
5. Watling
6. Anderson
7. Latham+

I'd even prefer 5. Baz 6. Watling 7. Latham with Rutherford opening than include Ronchi (if CJ is unfit). That's how little faith I have in the donkey at this stage.
Yeah, not sure I'd want the Donk anywhere near the test side atm, guy seldom delivers under pressure