• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*Official* New Zealand in England 2015

Stapel

International Regular
As you obviously know professional sport is a big business and the decisions these guys make are generally very well informed.
Generally....... Perhaps! But I have been shown a lack of information present, beyond belief really, so many times. Professional top sport can be surprisingly amateursitic.

NZTailender

I can't believe I ate the whole thing
@ Spark yes it is a silly assumption thank you for that considerate and piercing insightfulness

I don't rate his temperament to be adaptable enough if you dry up his scoring areas.
Not really a technical weakness that one bowler alone can exploit by going wide of the crease or setting up with 3 nipping away on the same line and 1 nipping back. It's more of a captain sets a field and multiple bowlers have to all contribute to in restricting him situation. Not a 'oh my god why hasn't any bowler in the world simply bowled at him in this area' obvious technical deficiency.

Spark

Global Moderator
Not really a technical weakness that one bowler alone can exploit by going wide of the crease or setting up with 3 nipping away on the same line and 1 nipping back. It's more of a captain sets a field and multiple bowlers have to all contribute to in restricting him situation. Not a 'oh my god why hasn't any bowler in the world simply bowled at him in this area' obvious technical deficiency.
Yeah, this is what I mean. Good all-round team bowling will suffice in any situation to any batsman, so it's not really worth mentioning. It's bloody hard to do and not many attacks are capable of it, if we only count attacks that he would actually have to play against.

I mean, bowl back of a length at him, sure, but do so in the knowledge that if your length is even slightly too short then there's a good chance you're going into the stands over mid-on, midwicket, square leg etc

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
Apart from conventionally good bowling, the only possible weakness warner has is slightly compulsive hooking and pulling. Unfortunately, the only bowlers with the pace and hostility to do that are his teammates, and possibly Morkel.

Chewie

International Vice-Captain
NZ XI: M Guptill, B McCullum, K Williamson, R Taylor, G Elliott, M Santner, L Ronchi, N McCullum, M Henry, M McClenaghan, T Boult

ENG XI: A Hales, J Roy, J Root, E Morgan, B Stokes, J Buttler, S Billings, A Rashid, C Jordan, L Plunkett, S Finn

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Santner at six will be interesting. Not looking forward to watching Nathan McCullum and McClenaghan bowl though. England's bowling attack isn't quite one for the art of cricket either.

A leggie and two keepers for England. Interesting. I'm not a fan of McClenahan either. Its a terrible shame that Milne is fragile.

Last edited:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
England bowling attack looks diabolical - probably a good job we were put into bat, 400 looks pretty achievable against that lineup.

Stace

First Class Debutant
I was at Canterbury earlier in the season for a F/C game and Billings pulled off 2 reverse sweeps beautifully, I cant wait to see him play for England and think he is a better wicketkeeper then Jos, I hope he gets more then just the usual 2 games then try someone else.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
England bowling attack looks diabolical - probably a good job we were put into bat, 400 looks pretty achievable against that lineup.
It's not even so much that it's **** (and it is), but that all the individual bowlers are **** to watch even when they're effective (with the possible exception of a fully fit Plunkett, I guess).

Stapel

International Regular
How save is Morgan's position in England's ODI team? He had a dreadful WC as batsman, not? How is he rated as a captain?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Tee hee.

EDIT: I mean, it is a half volley outside off stump, had every right to play the shot. It's just how things seem to work out at times for England.