• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Sorry pasag, the Australian team did not play well. It was all down to our ****ty selection, shoddy opening batting effort, and biased umpiring. ;)
I don't get what the big fuss is about (assuming you're not taking the piss). The 2 non LBWs (Ponting & Ferguson) were absolutely garbage calls, but Ponting ended up playing a rubbish innings anyway, and the game was over when the Ferguson call was made. They were hardly game changing. You lost because of poor batting and M Hussey.

Still I wish they'd only use international umpires for ODIs like they do with tests. Looks so terrible when an umpire gives a decision like that to his countryman.

JBH001

International Regular
I don't get what the big fuss is about (assuming you're not taking the piss). The 2 non LBWs (Ponting & Ferguson) were absolutely garbage calls, but Ponting ended up playing a rubbish innings anyway, and the game was over when the Ferguson call was made. They were hardly game changing. You lost because of poor batting and M Hussey.
I was taking the piss. Hence the wink smiley. Its a humorous reference to comments made by some kiwi posters, including myself, before the 3rd ODI about how some Australian posters were not giving any credit to the NZ team for outperforming them. Pasag, rightly, pulled me up on it. My comment reverses that on its head, thats all.

Edit/ Humour does not travel well on the internet. Especially when its dry. :(

Last edited:

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sounds like my dad...When Flynn lost his teeth to that Anderson bouncer he kept going on about how bouncers should be banned and the bowler should be fined :laugh:

He couldnt understand it was a good delivery and part and parcel of the game.
:laugh:

pasag

RTDAS
I was taking the piss. Hence the wink smiley. Its a humorous reference to comments made by some kiwi posters, including myself, before the 3rd ODI about how some Australian posters were not giving any credit to the NZ team for outperforming them. Pasag, rightly, pulled me up on it. My comment reverses that on its head, thats all.

I would agree that NZ lost the game more than we won it (as opposed to the previous game) and aside from Michael Clarke, our bowling was pretty ordinary.

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year

Ahh fair call then :)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
The problem wasn't necessarily the start by NZ. It was more the fact that guys who had used up twenty overs to not go that quickly, then didn't go on and make a big score. Cardinal sin in ODI cricket. Even if they'd only lost one wicket after that, it would've been OK. The 3/17 lost them the game, not the start.

Mixmasterreece

U19 Debutant
Guptill was poor, no denying that, he's been poor all series really. I'm only cutting him slack becasue he's 22 and doesn't usually get bogged down like that.

I will say this for Cumming though, whoever picked him a 6 needs a punch in the face. Was completely unfair. He could have made more of it though.

Guptil has been instructed to bat a certain way in this series and he's following that. He's looked solid, played some classic strokes and looked more at home than most of our opening selections over the past 10 years.

Never easy facing the new ball v aussie in aussie this early in your career. Once Ryder comes back I'll be happy to see him slot in at 3 v India:
Ryder
McCullum
Guptil
Taylor
Styris
Elliot
Broom/Oram
Mills
Vetorri
Southee
O'Brien

Easto241091

Cricket Spectator
Its amazing how money influences the game of cricket. If Australia did what india did last year, Steve Bucknor would have been suspended for his umpiring and their would be burning effigies of him out in the streets throughout australia.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Its amazing how money influences the game of cricket. If Australia did what india did last year, Steve Bucknor would have been suspended for his umpiring and their would be burning effigies of him out in the streets throughout australia.
Still a fireban in Victoria, ITBT...

pup11

International Coach
I would agree that NZ lost the game more than we won it (as opposed to the previous game) and aside from Michael Clarke, our bowling was pretty ordinary.

Though that seems to have come at some cost, Clarke is now in doubt for the series decider.

Given Clarke history of back problems, he shouldn't have been made to bowl this many number of overs every game, this is probably the last thing Australia would have wanted going into such an important game, it would be a huge blow to the already fragile Aussie top-order if he doesn't play.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Though that seems to have come at some cost, Clarke is now in doubt for the series decider.

Given Clarke history of back problems, he shouldn't have been made to bowl this many number of overs every game, this is probably the last thing Australia would have wanted going into such an important game, it would be a huge blow to the already fragile Aussie top-order if he doesn't play.
This is exactly why it was rather ill thought out that people were saying that the Aussie Test side don't need to pick a spinner and that Symonds/Clarke can just fill in with overs. Making them do more, especially something as strenuous as bowling, costs the team eventually.

Precambrian

Banned

Can't say he will be missed hugely, going by his performances over the last 14 months. Who will be the replacement batsman?

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

Here's a revolutionary idea - pick 4 bowlers and an all-rounder 8-)

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Would be the natural replacement, would it not?

Wouldn't mind Davey batting down the order; really only converted to opening the past year or two. He's a very good player of spin, and if set could be super during the death overs or batting powerplay.