• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia

Redbacks

International Captain
Hopefully Steve Davis thought he hit it or he might need to get his eyes checked.

Should be a great game at the Gabba on Friday. There is a recent trend of Punter getting out skying his pull shot, pretty sure that's three times in a row now, he's certainly not in the best form but he has shown an ability to step up in big games previously.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
I'll be at the Gabba this Friday, pumped tbh, can't remember the last time I've been at a decider at a big sporting event.

Natman20

International Debutant
Well, they're paid to make the television product more appealling to a wider market. The bulk of that is by communicating the technicalities of the game, explaining incidents as they occur, and discussing potential scenarios, but a significant part is also finding the humour in things as they occur, and provide a bit of colour and fun in the broadcast of what is otherwise for some a rather long haul. If only cricket purists who want only serious discussion watched the program it would make no money for the broadcaster.
They obviously don't do their job well then. Of course they are targetting Australian viewers, over excitement and demeaning to the oposition as soon as Australia are on top. They have a very bad lack of knoweledge of NZ cricketers and their history (plus history of chappell-hadlee series) I found that in particular Richie Benaud was actually getting a lot of information mixed up (he suggested Mills batting a few years ago to win a couple matches made him good bowling wise!). Banter is all-right but constant banter when you are trying to watch a cricket game is annoying. Ch9 are the some of the worst commentators. Would take Richardson and Doull over them anyday.

You know what annoys me more, watching cricket with people who think a good bouncer is a shocking delivery who don't follow the game. The 'bits' and 'pieces' viewer the tv targets.

Last edited:

Polo23

International Debutant
You know what annoys me more, watching cricket with people who think a good bouncer is a shocking delivery who don't follow the game. The 'bits' and 'pieces' viewer the tv targets.
Sounds like my dad...When Flynn lost his teeth to that Anderson bouncer he kept going on about how bouncers should be banned and the bowler should be fined :laugh:

He couldnt understand it was a good delivery and part and parcel of the game.

JBH001

International Regular
Selectors.... F***********************k . Class call. TBF they couldnt have known that was going to happen tonight but Cumming has always been a decidedly average player. What were they hoping to gain?. Flynn would have been a better option even though he's in terrible form.
This.

It was a completely loony decision. I really dont know how they could explain his inclusion, or, for that matter, his inclusion at 6. If he was to bat in the squad, then Fulton should have opened with Guptil, Cumming at 3, and McCullum down the order.

Patel is not the best ODI bowler but he sure would have been worth more in the side than Cumming. He also tends to bowl well with Vettori - come to that, the fact that the Australians seem to have gotten over their Vettori phobia and are actually coming at him is a cause for concern. Controlling the middle overs is now a lot harder. Still, I am picking Vettori to come back at them at the Gabba, he is too good a bowler to be kept quiet for too long.

JBH001

International Regular
Might be all well and true but NZ lost this game because of their slow start, no other reason. A dropped catch and a duck only added insult to injury.
Sorry pasag, the Australian team did not play well. It was all down to our ****ty selection, shoddy opening batting effort, and biased umpiring. ;)

Flem274*

123/5
Best quote was on the radio. Tait>Vettori because he takes more wickets apparently.

Shame he takes 1/65 more often than not and in combo with ****haus puts Aussie in the ****.

Was a good game last night, though extremely fustrating. Australia to win 3-2.

I'm just hopeing there are no more NZ injuries, imagine this team:

Guptill
Cumming
Fulton
Taylor
Broom
Hopkins
Diamanti
Southee
Patel
O'Brien
Boult

Injuries to McCullum, Mills and Vettori. We'd be so ****ed.

Polo23

International Debutant
Vettori has bowled poorly in the past two games. Dropped short too often and is bowling too quickly. Not entirely sure what has happened...perhaps he is carrying an injury or two.

Actually, to be fair all of the bowlers have dropped off in the last two games. Southee has also tended to drop far too short when he was very accurate in the first two games.

Badly need something out of McCullum at the top...for all his promise this summer he has really failed to deliver.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Badly need something out of McCullum at the top...for all his promise this summer he has really failed to deliver.
He's trying way too hard to be a proper batsman IMO. The whole point of him being there is that you don't end up 78/1 after 20 overs with the middle and lower order given far too much accelerating to do. 33 off 55 isn't a Brendan McCullum innings, it's an Ian Bell innings.

Burgey

I found the commentary around that incident kinda funny (as in haha, not peculiar). They didn't try to disguise or justify the bad decision, so I didn't mind them laughing at what was a shocker - what else could you do faced with such a bad call, other than chuck a wobbly.

Admittedly it wasn't my team that had been wronged, so maybe for NZ fans righteous indignation was more the order of the day.
It was Bill's best commentary of the summer. Seriously, people need to get a grip if they took offence to that. Or loosen their grip maybe.
It was a terrible decision, no doubt but the umpire warrants the derision, not a bloke calling it who found a pretty funny call out of it.

Top_Cat

Hopefully Steve Davis thought he hit it or he might need to get his eyes checked.

Should be a great game at the Gabba on Friday. There is a recent trend of Punter getting out skying his pull shot, pretty sure that's three times in a row now, he's certainly not in the best form but he has shown an ability to step up in big games previously.
Calling it a pull shot is a bit complimentary, I reckon. It was a fairly wild slog which moved away a touch. Shocking shot.

The Ferguson lbw was very poor. The only defence that can be offered for the umpire was that the bat hit the pitch very close to when the ball passed the bat, and you can only imagine he heard the second noise and concluded it had taken an edge from the bat on the way through, because otherwise that was one of the worst decisions I've ever seen. I've never heard Ch. 9 commentators laughing bemusedly about a wrong decision that's favoured Australia before.
Rubbish. It's Adelaide. The ball was clearly going over the top......

:ph34r:

****ing Cumming ****ing costs NZ the ****ng game.

Stupid useless ****ng ****. If I ever see him I'll slit his ****ing throat.
Now that is rubbish. For one, the momentum was with the Aussies at that point anyway. For two, it was a really tough catch. I was about 10 metres away and Mike Hussy absolutely nailed it low and fast. Top level cricketers should catch those, given, but it had serious wheels on it.