• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia Thread

Hoggy

U19 12th Man
froggyboy86 said:
Does anyone think that Stuart MacGill should be playing One Dayers for Australia? It seems a waste to have someone of his talent sitting on the sidelines so trashy spinners like Hogg can play.
Hogg - can bat, can bowl, can field
MacGill - can bowl very well

There lies the problem.

Linda

International Vice-Captain
I find it strange that Ponting has said the feilding was poor... what about it was poor? I thought (as did the commentators) it was fantastic! Did he just mean in Kaspa's shocker over perhaps?

Anyway, my favourite moment of this great game was when Lee bowled Cairns was it? Anyway, the commentators were like "Right, so he should bowl this full and straight", then he bowls it right at the base of middle stump. You cant get much fuller or straighter than that! Me and my brother just went "OOOOOHHH YYEAAAHHH!!" Great moment, haha!

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
shaka said:
If Lee "stuffs" up, Kasper will return, so its not over for Kasper by a long shot, ODI's can change people form and may need a break. That over was really bad though, I would have thought that Leel would have bowled the 48th and the 50th, instead he bowled the 47th and 49th

usually, but the lack of match practice might have had ponting thinking kaspa

howardj

International Coach
Hoggy said:
Is Shane Watson the cricketing myth of the world?
Hardly a myth!

FC Batting Average: 48

FC Bowling Average: 27

ODI Economy Rate: 4.69 (equals a score of 234 over 50 overs)

ODI Batting Average: 35

ODI Strike Rate: 67

On the strength of the above figures - and given the fact that he's young and inexperienced - he's definitely worth persisting with. If anything, he's batting too low in the order to showcase his class. At No 8, it's pretty much hit and miss.

Eclipse

International Debutant
Linda said:
I find it strange that Ponting has said the feilding was poor... what about it was poor? I thought (as did the commentators) it was fantastic! Did he just mean in Kaspa's shocker over perhaps?

Anyway, my favourite moment of this great game was when Lee bowled Cairns was it? Anyway, the commentators were like "Right, so he should bowl this full and straight", then he bowls it right at the base of middle stump. You cant get much fuller or straighter than that! Me and my brother just went "OOOOOHHH YYEAAAHHH!!" Great moment, haha!
lol that ball was as straight and full as is humanly possible.. it pitched as it hit middle stump.

bryce

International Regular
Linda said:

when it happened i definately didn't think it was funny, but looking back on it is was quite funny mainly because cairns had done the same thing to lee in the first innings.

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
Hoggy said:
Hogg - can bat, can bowl, can field
MacGill - can bowl very well

There lies the problem.
I take exception to "can bowl" in Hogg.

Frankly I think Katich is just as capable a wrist spinner with batting to burn.

bryce

International Regular
i heard that the aussie selectors didn't like macgill as a one day player because he concedes too many runs

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
Linda said:
He was probably referring to the 2 dropped catches, and the many fumbles whilst ground fielding.

bryce

International Regular
SJS said:
Maybe. But on both occasions I saw, it was straight up-and-down stuff. That doesnt go far in international cricket. In ODI's, at times, depending on the situation, batsmen may throw their wickets to straight forward deliveries.
scott stryris has been pretty successful doing it in ODI's, if watson can develop a good change of pace i see no reason why he cannot turn into a good one day bowler but maybe not quite yet.

Last edited:

LongHopCassidy

International Captain
bryce said:
scott stryris has been pretty successful doing it in ODI's, if he can develop a good change of pace i see no reason why he cannot turn into a good one day bowler but maybe not quite yet.
I agree.

It worked for Steve Waugh.

nibbs

International Captain
bryce said:
scott stryris has been pretty successful doing it in ODI's, if he can develop a good change of pace i see no reason why he cannot turn into a good one day bowler but maybe not quite yet.
bryce he's been doing a swell job for quite sometime now. he nearly always bowls a tight line not giving batsmen any room. sure, he full the odds short one, but who doesn't????

bryce

International Regular
lol you must of mis-understood me because i agree with you, the words before the first comma was about styris and the rest was referring to watson, sorry about the confusion.

meatspx

U19 Cricketer
Styris was dissapointing in the test series, his bowling was to erratic and short.

In the ODI games, not on fast pitches, he's pretty much an all-rounder. We need esp as our fast bowlers aren't going to get through 20 overs.

Now he needs to score some runs!

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Linda said:
he was probably referring to his own dropped catch which could have made a real difference to the game.

Son Of Coco

Hoggy said:
Is Shane Watson the cricketing myth of the world?
He bowled pretty well last night.......batting was another thing but then he's not normally a no.8 so maybe he can be excused.

Son Of Coco

JASON said:
I feel sorry for Kaspar who is a far better bowler in general than Brett Lee even at the death !! And just because he bowled one bad over he is going to pay the price , by being sidelined for the next game !!
Apparently he was going to be rested anyway........which may or may not be the truth. I think it's fair to assume that if McGrath and Gillespie were rested then Kaspar was going to be too. The fact that he bowled a bad over in the game before probably wasn't going to change anything.

anzac

International Debutant
like it or not AUS has persisted with a rotation type selection policy in ODI series for years.............

every now and then it bites them big time, but more often than not it does not cost them a series, and furthermore it goes a long way to creating a solid depth in their ODI ranks...........

Son Of Coco

anzac said:
like it or not AUS has persisted with a rotation type selection policy in ODI series for years.............

every now and then it bites them big time, but more often than not it does not cost them a series, and furthermore it goes a long way to creating a solid depth in their ODI ranks...........
Very true, I don't think arrogance or lack of respect for the opposition came into it actually. You're going to lose some sometimes and that's just the way it goes.