• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

**Official** New Zealand in Australia Thread

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Mr Casson said:
Whenever someone asks me what the worst over I've ever seen in ODI cricket is, I'll answer that Kasprowicz bowled it!

Great comeback for the Kiwis, full credit. McCullum is a star!
haha, yeah it was a bad one, but did you see the over Bruce Reid bowled years ago when England needed 21 off the last over, and got it with a ball to spare if I remember correctly!?

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
different scenario nibbs! would still be better than hogg though....hogg hardly lights up the domestic scene, and WA is his home state!

Son Of Coco

Eclipse said:
because he bowled the sceond last..

Watson bowled as well as you could have asked for anyway the batting was just a bit to good.
yeah, McCullum's shot was pretty impressive.

nibbs

International Captain
Son Of Coco said:
yeah well I guess it's tit-for-tat in that regard.......I'll have to read the rest of the thread to see the claims of victory i guess. I don't think it'll be that clear cut, it wasn't like there was a big difference between the teams tonight. I just found it surprising that an outburst like that came from you, but then maybe i haven't read enough of your posts. :p
i give most sides a really fair go son of coco. i'd say i'm the most unbiased fan on this board. marc will vouch for that

duffer

Shame about THAT over from Kasper. Lee may well get the nod over him for the one-dayers and if he can bowl as ferociously may be an outside chance for the WACA test.

Kasper should keep hi Test place though. He was magnificent all throughout the Indian and Lankan tours, but Bingha might have some momentum going for him now.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
It was both a mix between arrogance and stupidity to leave both Gillespie and McGrath out from the game. One would think you'd maybe leave one out if necessary, win the first game (Not saying they definitely would have) and then rest your other primary bowlers.

I thought NZ were gone once Cairns was out, because I was listening on the radio and forgot about McCullum coming in next. I was running late for a movie, so I was listening in the car on the way to the cinemas and when I got their the Kaspa over just finished. I was tempted to keep listening, but I just checked the scores on my phone and was happy to see NZ won.

Hopefully NZ can put up a fight like that in the next game. A great see-saw ODI.

Last edited:

anzac

International Debutant
IMO the AUS selectors will want to persist with both Lee & Watson as much as they can.............and will look to get a balance re McGrath, Gillespie & Kasper...............

Watson is a player for the future should they need to look at a 5-5 split, should any of their top 3 seamers be injured / retire............

Lee is too strong an asset to keep inactive - his game would deteriorate in the long run..............

Hogg may be the frontline spinner in the team, but could sit it out depending on the pitches, with Symonds, Lehman & Clarke to provide the slow options.....

anzac

International Debutant
from a NZL selection I was interested to see the batting order.....
Fleming
Astle
Sinclair
Styris
Marshall

I'd have thought that opening in Tests would have been harder than in ODIs - not as much seam movement in the pitch etc..............

and significant that Sinclair was then slotted into #3 with Marshall dropping to #5................

and Sinclair gets a decent knock - as does Astle & Marshall..........

and well bowled Cairns & Vettori....................

MoxPearl

State Vice-Captain
Australia underestimated us once again....

I mean before the tour even started.. imho it was pretty obvious

- New Zealand would get DESTROYED in the test matches

- New Zealand would win the ODIS or lose buy a very very small margin..

We still did not play anywhere near our peak.. and neither did aussie.. but hey thats cricket.. nz played the better and smarter cricket on the night...

There are a reason we are ranked as one of the top 3 ODI teams in the world..

i mean we must have won 18 out of our last 21 matches ? something like that..

By the way im not getting @ any of the aussies here.. im just saying.. u know its a bit annoying when everyone writes us off... without looking @ the facts of recent history.... and the commentators were saying that our recent ODI wins have not been against good cricket nations..... wtf!? South Africa... England... India... West Indies........

Richard Rash

U19 Cricketer
New Zealand beat Australia without Shane Bond... There is hope.

I still doubt they will win the remaining two matches when Australia bring back Gillespie and McGrath and if Australia take their catches. If Ponting had of taken that sitter to dismiss Sinclair it would have brought Styris to the crease inside the first ten overs and NZ may never have recovered and we probably would have seen the customary collapse NZ is renowned for.

In saying that i still think that NZ will be extremelly competitive in the remaining two matches as they are a outstanding one day unit probably only second to Aussie.

Does this Haddle Chappell trophey initiative mean NZ play Australia every year for it like the bledisloe for rugby?

bryce

International Regular
australia deserved to lose, leaving out there two best bowlers against a side that has won 18 out of their last 20 matches is just plain disrespect for the opposition and everyone knows new zealand cannot play those two bowlers well at all and it's no doubt in my mind that if they are both brought back new zealand won't have much of a chance.
i agree with eclipse about watson, he isn't a lower order batsman and just because he is an allrounder he should not be stereotyped that he is a lower order slogger, he looks more like a top order batsman and probaly should be rested until there is a specific role that he can take up in the one day side.
the people calling for kasprowiczs' head are idiots, you want to kick him out after one bad performance ? he has never been a death bowler but you don't need him at the death when you have mcgrath, gillespie, lee and even symonds, kasprowicz has proved him worth in the aussie ODI side by being a wicket taking bowler in the middle stages of an innings who keeps the runs down extremely well.
oh and SHOT NEW ZEALAND! :D

nibbs

International Captain
hey bryce, its 18 of the last 23 btw. 3 defeats and 3 no results in there...

hogg is the one who has got to go from the australian team. he did jack all imo, plus he is a gary

bryce

International Regular
haha ok cheers for that, IMO lehmann is under utilised, he is quite a good bowler especially to right handers coming around the wicket, yeah nibbs i've never rated hogg either, i thought hogg should of tried around the wicket but i don't think i've ever seen him do that, either way he's not needed (but hopefully they play him :) )

Jnr.

First Class Debutant
marc71178 said:
So what exactly did "came to him quicker than he expected.." mean then if it's not an excuse for him dropping it?
Obviously it's an explanation as to why he might've dropped that sitter. :dry:

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
MoxPearl said:
Australia underestimated us once again....

By the way im not getting @ any of the aussies here.. im just saying.. u know its a bit annoying when everyone writes us off... without looking @ the facts of recent history.... and the commentators were saying that our recent ODI wins have not been against good cricket nations..... wtf!? South Africa... England... India... West Indies........
And Pakistan! Many of those wins were thrashings too.

Will Scarlet

U19 Debutant
It was great being at the game. Even got in a barmy with some disgruntled Aussie tossers after the game. These guys were the exception though as most just enjoyed the close game.

Watching Marshall play again I believe further justifies why he is suited to ODIs and not tests. Test fields won't allow you to keep working the ball around for quick singles in only a few areas. Great innings last night though.

IMO, Watson is the one who should be dropped, but AUS does need to give the younger players experience so they are ready for when the many older ones retire in the next few years. Otherwise AUS will suffer a similar fall from grace that NZ did when Hadlee and co. retired in the early 90s.

NZ will be stronger in the next match as long as Mills and Butler (pie-throwers) are dropped for Adams and Franklin.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
gilchrist
hayden
ponting
martyn
symonds
lehmann
clarke
watson
lee
mcgrath
gillespie

that'd be my 11. The Lehmann experiment failed spectacularly, sure he made a 50 but it screwed up Martyn and Symonds I felt. Problem the Aussies have faced since the last time NZ/SA toured here is that we nearly always have a collapse...even in the WC we went undefeated but a number of games we were 4 or 5 wickets down for around 100 or less.