• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Were we not promised that for the 1st Test last year?
Started off pretty lively as I recall*. Just got progressively more like tarmac when the sun had baked it for two or three days.

*Cruel minded readers might want to insert their own "lively enough for Siddle to take a hat-trick, anyway" joke here.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hasn't been anywhere near as much rain about this year as last year so the pitch should play differently.

It felt like the last Gabba test was the only five consecutive days between October and February we had up here.

Hope the pitch is a bit better than last years one.

howardj

International Coach
another Gabba Greentop lol

I think because they both begin with a G

it's just lazy journalism

Test wickets (as distinct from Shield wickets) haven't seamed around up here since about 1990.

howardj

International Coach
Lawson Blasts Rotation Policy

I have got to agree with Henry here. Not only has the "new age" rest and rotation/loading/workload management of recent times not resulted in a reduction of injuries (quite the opposite, it's actually coincided with a seeming increase in fast bowlers being sidelined) but it's based on a false premise - namely that guys are playing much more cricket now than they used to. Moreover, it makes players feel insecure about their role in the team, and it presupposes that we have the depth to cater for such a selection policy.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
Fast bowler injuries is a difficult one with a lot of people having fairly entrenched views on why these occur and what should be done to reduce them.

I think Australia has simply been very lucky with injuries for the last decade because McGrath and Warne were almost always fit. Gillespie (71 tests) , Kasprowicz (38 tests), Lee (76 tests) etc did all have injury troubles at times but were still fit for extended periods. This is a very unappreciated ability for a bowler, that can make them indispensable to the team (even if they're average like Chris Martin).

Almost every other test-playing nation* has gone through a period in the last 10-15 years like Australia is now, where it seems like 2 out of every 3 fast bowlers are injured at the same time. I think it's normal that this happens every so often, unless you are blessed with 2 or 3 bowlers who, for whatever reason, don't seem to get injured. Not necessarily a reason to throw hands up in air and declare that everything is being done wrong.

At least it doesn't seem like any of the current injuries are career-threatening.

* ok, this is off the top of my head.

Last edited:

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
If you hated Siddle as much as Spikey does and agreed with the selectors about Copeland's abilities, you could argue that Australia's best seven fast bowlers are all injured. That's pretty ridiculous.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Lawson Blasts Rotation Policy

I have got to agree with Henry here. Not only has the "new age" rest and rotation/loading/workload management of recent times not resulted in a reduction of injuries (quite the opposite, it's actually coincided with a seeming increase in fast bowlers being sidelined) but it's based on a false premise - namely that guys are playing much more cricket now than they used to. Moreover, it makes players feel insecure about their role in the team, and it presupposes that we have the depth to cater for such a selection policy.
This is something I was thinking about the other day actually.

Back in the early 80s, a tour to Australia for just about everyone would have been 4-5 Tests and plenty of ODIs (was the World Series Cup finals not a best of 5 event back in the day?). Touring sides would probably have played quite a few FC warm up games and most of the Test players would have had quite a few Shield games as well. Even as recently as the 1990s, an Australian Ashes tour would have started in May, would have seen the team take on every single county, as well as a few games against composite sides like a Minor Counties XI, and finished in September, and England would have played all of the state sides at some point on an Ashes tour.

I suppose the main difference between now and 30 years ago is that you'd only have had 1 series (if that) per season, as opposed to the 2 or sometimes 3 that teams have now.

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
I think NZ pre-match optimism is reaching almost unsustainable levels in the media. I consider myself an optimist and I think we have maybe 15-20% chance of taking the first test. This is more than enough to get me excited, but Australia are still overwhelming favourites.

If we play well we're certainly capable of putting Australia under a lot of pressure and getting ourselves into a position of strength in the first day or three. It could happen (though equally it could not). It's closing out the match from a position of strength where I have very very little faith in our abilities.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
If you hated Siddle as much as Spikey does and agreed with the selectors about Copeland's abilities, you could argue that Australia's best seven bowlers are all injured. That's pretty ridiculous.
Harris
Johnson
Watson
Cummins
Bollinger

Who am I missing?