• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** New Zealand in Australia 2011

Howe_zat

Audio File
Wait... What? This is seriously news to me. There always seems to be a pretty clear consultation with the batsman.
Shocker.

Weren't they experimenting with bright pink balls in England or something?
The were doing it in the UAE, for a day/night FC match between the MCC and Notts. Seemed to be very bowler-friendly.

I quite like the idea, as it'd just be another talking point wrt changing conditions.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Will only get to see the first hour of play tomorrow, but I hope to hell that Ponting gets a hundred. Will be very personally satisfying.

Might personally satisfy myself later that night to the highlights also ftr.

Ruckus

International Captain
I swear if i ever see this guy in real life......what a tool, of the highest order. :cursing:
Yeh a tad over the top eh? I actually thought it was one of his more polished innings so far in recent times at least. If you analyse things so extensively, you'd find pretty much every player has multiple 'iffy' moments in a sizable innings...so far though there hasn't been any real alarms going off like a dropped catch or badly mistimed shots, so I don't get what the guys fuss is about.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh a tad over the top eh? I actually thought it was one of his more polished innings so far in recent times at least. If you analyse things so extensively, you'd find pretty much every player has multiple 'iffy' moments in a sizable innings...so far though there hasn't been any real alarms going off like a dropped catch or badly mistimed shots, so I don't get what the guys fuss is about.
Was that the point of his story? That Ponting was a lucky prick? Another example of a journo who has no idea about the feel of a sport.

Ponting was outstanding today. It doesn't require a dead-**** writer to drag it down. Otherwise we'll preface Lara's 501 by saying well he was dropped on zero, should have been run out backing up but the bowler didn't touch it, would've been caught at deepish - but not too deep - point at one stage, if bat pad was on the cut strip he'd have caught a forward defensive etc.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Exactly, one biggest chance wasn't even to do with batting skill.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Also, good to see Lyon showing an ability to wrap up a tail, something that finger spinners often find difficult to do.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Southee to Ponting, no run, there comes the indiscretion at long last. 139 kph, short of a driving length and away movement. Ponting has a bored flap at it away from the body and misses. He doesn't look pleased with the shot.

Martin to Ponting, no run, Ponting tries to chop a short ball outside off, but it seemed to die on him as he opened the wrists. Play and a miss.

didn't get out obviously. But I thought those two were pretty bad and, you know Ricky Ponting 2006 wouldn't've done it imo.

Crazy Sam

International 12th Man
One good thing about them going off for bad light is that when 9's coverage starts here, we don't have to put up with any Mark Nicholas hosting before play starts.

Ruckus

International Captain
Southee to Ponting, no run, there comes the indiscretion at long last. 139 kph, short of a driving length and away movement. Ponting has a bored flap at it away from the body and misses. He doesn't look pleased with the shot.

Martin to Ponting, no run, Ponting tries to chop a short ball outside off, but it seemed to die on him as he opened the wrists. Play and a miss.

didn't get out obviously. But I thought those two were pretty bad and, you know Ricky Ponting 2006 wouldn't've done it imo.
Yeah I never said I thought he was back to his best (I won't think that unless he scores a mountain of runs tbh)...was just referring to there hardly being an extraordinary amount of big chances in his innings, which Brettig seemed to think warranted an entire article.

A fair few of Ponting's half centuries in recent times actually have been quite lucky by normal standards, but this wasn't one of them.