• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

*** Official New Zealand Domestic Cricket 2011/2012 ***

Flem274*

123/5
Almost completely irrelevant, but having lived in Hamilton the past five years I've noticed that while the town itself isn't awfully exciting, it's situated so there's an awesome selection of good OTHER places to go within a manageable two hour drive or so. It's a hugely understated asset of the 'Tron imo.
So you're saying the best thing about Hamilton is leaving?

I whole-heartedly agree.

Last edited:

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Do you think that maybe the fact that Martin is, like Vettori, a SLA bowler may have counted against him?

So when they were looking at options for playing a second spinner, maybe selectors wanted to go for something different.

Definitely not saying I agree with that; just that it may have been a factor. And I think it's something NZ selectors have been guilty of in the past - how else would Brooke Walker have played Tests?
I think it absolutely counted against him. With those sort of numbers, if he was an offie or even better a leggie, he would've played.

To me you pick your best 4-5 bowlers regardless of whether they bowl slow with their left arm, quick with their right, with each leg or whatever. The notion that you can only have one left arm spinner/seamer/need a good mix of all of the above is vastly overrated. A lot of average players have benefitted from that, and some like Bucko Martin have suffered

thierry henry

International Coach
Do you think that maybe the fact that Martin is, like Vettori, a SLA bowler may have counted against him?

So when they were looking at options for playing a second spinner, maybe selectors wanted to go for something different.

Definitely not saying I agree with that; just that it may have been a factor. And I think it's something NZ selectors have been guilty of in the past - how else would Brooke Walker have played Tests?
I think that's almost certainly the main reason he wasn't picked. Instead they picked a clearly inferior bowler and hoped he would suddenly turn awesome :wacko:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Shame they don't have speedguns set up for the HRV cup ( *** amateurs) because I'm interested in Milne's speeds in particular. Intuitively he hasn't looked quite as sharp for me this year.

thierry henry

International Coach
Yeah....but (time for an old TH chestnut) whether he's nudging 150 or only bowling 140-145, it's plain enough to see that he's not very effective and his pace isn't really scaring anyone. Just needs to get a lot better really.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Agree his bowling is erratic, but there were a few games last year where his pace did actually cause some genuine discomfort for batsmen. This year he looks like cannon-fodder

Bahnz

Hall of Fame Member
He looked pretty quick at the basin, but then again that was with healthy northerly at his back.

Mike5181

International Captain
Yeah....but (time for an old TH chestnut) whether he's nudging 150 or only bowling 140-145, it's plain enough to see that he's not very effective and his pace isn't really scaring anyone. Just needs to get a lot better really.
Yeah, it's a shame really. He's only 19 though so hopefully he gets a bit smarter as he gets more experience.