• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Mental scars!!!!!

Itch a bit, don't they?

A star is born - and he is going to hurt a lot of teams over the next few years.

<quack> Lewis isn't that good.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
chaminda_00 said:
I can't believe people are blaming Ponting captaincy, did he bowl 18 extras??
In order, the reasons for England''s win:
1) Pietersen
2) Harmison
3) Ponting
4) Extras

Well done England, bragging rights secured for a little while yet. Turning point of the match was surely the non-runout of Pietersen, Australia were annihilated since then.

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Sudeep said:
Also consider the Ponting factor. They way he has captained, even if Pietersen fell now, he wouldn't attack.
Yes Ponting was pretty woeful with his captaincy yesterday as well as today.

Jamee999

Hall of Fame Member
AND WE DO IT HELL YES COME ON BOYS

KEVIN KEVIN
OH PIETERSEN WE DO
OH PIETERSEN WE DO
OH PIETERSEN WE DO
OH PIETERSEN WE LOVE YOU

Australia have a fantastic record in their last 4 matches of: LLLL.

And they are bottom of the table.

Barney Rubble

International Coach
Lewis hits the winning run, what a victory for England. Pietersen is an incredible talent.

Australia, take note - you're not what you used to be.

And might I add -

COOOOOMMMMMMEEEEEEE OOOOOOOONNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :gora: :gora: :gora: :gora:

IanBell

Cricket Spectator
It's an english national trait to be pessimistic. 18 years of hurt will do that. Oneday and 20/20 are like Rugby Sevens if we're honest, it's the Ashes that matter. And I have tickets for Edgbaston, yeeeow!

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
chaminda_00 said:
It's not solely responsible for their loss, but it he still made mistakes, as did the bowlers in the second half.

From an Australian point of view, they didn't play all that badly and were knocked off by a fine individual effort in the end. Calling for heads at this stage is worthless.

England were very impressive, they didn't panic and set themselves well for the target.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Neil Pickup said:
No - but giving Lewis easy singles with KP in the KP-Zone was brain dead.
absolutely he should have brought in the field, well said if Australia lose these weekend matches i'll be having a change of heart, but i just haven't giving up on the aussies yet.

They played well in most area's the 2 main reasons why they lost was that middle order callapse from 50 for 0 to 63 for 4 in 5 overs & KP unbelievable innings.

I wont be counting them out just yet

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
vic_orthdox said:
It's not solely responsible for their loss, but it he still made mistakes, as did the bowlers in the second half.

From an Australian point of view, they didn't play all that badly and were knocked off by a fine individual effort in the end. Calling for heads at this stage is worthless.

England were very impressive, they didn't panic and set themselves well for the target.
I dont know why the Aussies go for the individual effort line so often. They went for that when Laxman and Dravid had that great partnership.

In this specific match, wasnt Australia out of it was it not for the individual effort of one M.Hussey?

The Aussies were beaten fair and square by a better team on the day.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
chaminda_00 said:
no, but he was out first ball.

Jamee999 said:
Australia have a fantastic record in their last 4 matches of: LLLL
hey, that's almost like england's fantastic ashes record in their last 8 ashes series of: LLLLLLLL

BoyBrumby

Englishman
The boy's a bit good, isn't he? When he's in that form it beggars belief we even think about leaving him out of any side we happen to pick.

I think the look on Dizzy's face at the end of his last over summed it up. He knew it was over.

That was a big win, if we'd come up short I think the Aussies would've known all our chances were so much bluster. Now I'm not saying we will win, but at least a few of our team look like they believe they can. :)

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
KPP won the game for England, it wouldn't have matter if Ponting had a brilliant game as captain, England still would have won. Image if he batted at 4 ilke he should have, they could have got the bonus point.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Pratyush said:
I dont know why the Aussies go for the individual effort line so often. They went for that when Laxman and Dravid had that great partnership.

In this specific match, wasnt Australia out of it was it not for the individual effort of one M.Hussey?

The Aussies were beaten fair and square by a better team on the day.
He's just making the point that, if it wasn't for Pietersen's individual effort, Australia most likely would've won. Feel free to dispute that. England as a team outplayed Australia as well, but it was Pietersen who secured the win.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
chaminda_00 said:
Watching the game on teletext, are you?

I'm talking about the fact that the only way Australia had a prayer after King Kevin got going was to bowl them out - and he

a) never had a slip to Lewis (naturally couldn't have one to Pietersen, but at the other end it was essential)
b) only had 4 men in the circle every ball to Lewis.

The extras were a huge problem, sure, but that was only part of the reason for the defeat, and to be fair, Ponting's captaincy wasn't the full reason either.

For me, England had the best bowler and the best batsman - both produced huge contributions when the chips were down.

Game on - and I still maintain that this changes nothing as far as the Ashes go.