• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
Adamc said:
He's just making the point that, if it wasn't for Pietersen's individual effort, Australia most likely would've won. Feel free to dispute that. England as a team outplayed Australia as well, but it was Pietersen who secured the win.
I havent discredited Peiterson! Ofcourse it was largely due to the Pieterson effort.

But when its said,

From an Australian point of view said:
Its like saying Australia played well and its only cos of a knock out of the blue from Pieterson.

As you said, over all England played better than Australia which is the thing the emphasis should be on and not just the brilliant Pieterson inning being the cause of the result. There was that good catch by Collingwood, the wonderful spell by Harmison, more sensible captaincy.

From an Australian perspective I wont say they didnt play all that badly which the guy seems to be pointing. The batting collapse in the beginning, the poor captaincy and the bowling alternatives and discipline are things to concentrate on more than any thing.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
well, it was a good game. if all the games this summer are like this (not the result, of course), it's gonna be one hell of a summer

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Kaspa and Gillespie looked f*cking sh*thouse today and the noballs and wides wtf Austalia. Panic buttons must be pressed now for sure. The depth of Australia's pace attack will be tested in the coming months.
i aint pressing the panic button yet, this weekend is it for me when they meet England in Durham & when the aussies come up here, if they dont win those games i'll just smash the panic button

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
vic_orthdox said:
I was just pointing out that, as what will likely occur, people (i.e. the press) will be pointing fingers and calling for heads, but in this performance they hardly disgraced themselves, and did play good cricket. Not their best cricket, but good nonetheless.
Absolutely spot-on.

If we look at the game as comprising 6 sessions, Australia won 3-2 with 1 drawn, indicating that they should have probably won the game. The difference was

a) an over of Harmison
b) an hour of Pietersen

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Sudeep said:
Could someone post the salient points from Ponting's interview?
1) Improvement from the last game
2) Fielding was much sharper
3) Pietersen played exceptionally well
4) Hussey and Clarke did well after they lost 3-0

All fair points I think, wasn't asked any detailed questions though.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Interesting to note the batsman that did the best for both teams have triple figure averages pietersen 169.5 and hussey 229. Obviously pietersen has done it consistently whilst hussey as of yet is unproven.

PY

International Coach
Haha I love KP, the guy comes out and says "the guys have said it was one of the best ODI innings ever and I think it's pretty much up there". :laugh:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
luckyeddie said:
Absolutely spot-on.

If we look at the game as comprising 6 sessions, Australia won 3-2 with 1 drawn, indicating that they should have probably won the game. The difference was

a) an over of Harmison
b) an hour of Pietersen
you are even more spot on eddie :happy:

Langeveldt

Soutie
PY said:
Haha I love KP, the guy comes out and says "the guys have said it was one of the best ODI innings ever and I think it's pretty much up there". :laugh:
Not a spot on his demoliton job in Bloem though..

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
PY said:
****y traitor :p

nah, im just a sore loser. about the only positive i can see from this match is my fantasy cricket team-- hussey, clarke, pietersen, hogg. if only i had harmison as well

Sudeep

International Captain
andyc said:
****y traitor :p

nah, im just a sore loser. about the only positive i can see from this match is my fantasy cricket team-- hussey, clarke, pietersen, hogg. if only i had harmison as well
Blimey! What position were you at before this match?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Pratyush said:
vic_orthdox said:
From an Australian point of view, they didn't play all that badly and were knocked off by a fine individual effort in the end
Its like saying Australia played well and its only cos of a knock out of the blue from Pieterson.
The term "knocked off" is more in reference to the final part of the game.