• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
andyc said:
****y traitor :p

nah, im just a sore loser. about the only positive i can see from this match is my fantasy cricket team-- hussey, clarke, pietersen, hogg. if only i had harmison as well
Holy cow you ripped it.

I have Hoggy, Pietersen and McGrath, and I guess Gough but IIRC he only got 1 wicket.

Sudeep

International Captain
Looks like unlike Australia, some teams have got their act together. Michael Schumacher and Reubens Barichello leading the US Grand Prix in the early stages.

I know, :offtopic:

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
[Collected Thoughts Vol. I :p]

As much as the defeat is disappointing, Australia played much better than they did yesterday, IMO. McGrath's bowling was encouraging, Hussey and Clarke both appear in good touch, and Hogg and Watson both performed better than I had expected. More generally, the fielding was much, much, much sharper, and at times better than England's today.

As vic_orthdox said, there isn't really any need make dramatic changes. Certainly, Lee's return and perhaps Symonds' will help, but there's no need to overhaul the entire team. Gillespie could probably do with a match or two off; he really seemed as though he didn't want to be there today (even before KP got stuck in), or yesterday for that matter. As much as it is tempting to talk about the age/predictability/ineptitude of the McGrath/Gillespie/Kasprowicz partnership, they've won a lot of matches for Australia and, with any luck, will continue to do so.

The most significant thing for England, apart from the result obviously, was that the players who performed were the very players Australia haven't seen a great deal of and have been told to fear, namely Pietersen, Harmison and Flintoff with the ball. It also bodes well that the captain made runs. If it had been, say, Trescothick and Gough who played the major roles, Australia will probably be slightly less worried, as they know those players and their capabilities well. Australia don't know the full potential of Pietersen, Harmison and Flintoff, and this match will make them rather worried. It is quite obvious that Ponting himself is very concerned, and that does not do a great deal for his confidence or that of his team.

I'd have to say that today and yesterday were probably the best two days of ODI cricket (any cricket, for that matter) that I've seen in a long while, even if only one of the results pleased me. Long may it continue. :)

Last edited:

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Sudeep said:
Looks like unlike Australia, some teams have got their act together. Michael Schumacher and Reubens Barichello leading the US Grand Prix in the early stages.

Sudeep, if I was driving that Ferrari, I'd be in second.

PY

International Coach
Sudeep said:

And the winner for most tenuous link ever goes to.....^^^^^

:p

Sudeep

International Captain
PY said:
And the winner for most tenuous link ever goes to.....^^^^^

:p
LOL, I know. There are only six cars participating. But unlike Ponting, Schumacher didn't allow the four non-Ferraris to go ahead. :ph34r:

Okay, I'll stop. I guess it's just the ecstasy.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Adamc said:
I'd have to say that today and yesterday were probably the best two days of ODI cricket (any cricket, for that matter) that I've seen in a long while, even if only one of the results pleased me. Long may it continue.
Hear hear!

PY

International Coach
Doing a bit of math, KP scored 73 off his last 35 balls.

Fair play to you Aussies, you're taking it quite well. I'd be crying if we'd lost it after dominating for 40 overs of England's innings. :)

I'm going to shut up and log off now because my posting has been ridiculous today. Blame illness.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That South African K Pietersen is something else isn't he !!!!!!! How is his oneday record now !!!! South Africa will be gutted letting him slip through their fingers. Seems to have heaps of Flair (infact very un english in his approach).

Congrats to England (well south african pietersen anyway) on their win. Perhaps those suggesting Ponting was the worlds best captain may have to revisit that theory!!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
I don't wanna go overboard (actually, that's an untruth; I do, but I'll restrain myself for the purposes of decorum & not looking a div when it all goes **** up) but I think this weekend has proved a couple of things, if nothing else:

1) Australia are still a bit underdone on this tour;

2) Australia are a team on the way down.

Now let me qualify that second point, Australia are still a magnificent team; unquestionably the best in the world & will probably have too much for us come the tests. Nevertheless there are signs of fallibility. Mainly to do with Father Time I think. Dizzy & Kasper are both palpably creaking &, as good as McGrath was today, he hasn't looked quite the bowler he was on his last visit. After them the seaming cupboard looks a little bare. As for the blonde fella sitting the ODIs out, well even Mark Waugh has said Warney isn't the bowler he was.

As for SR Waugh... well, Clarke is a good young player, but is he a Steve Waugh? Unfair to compare perhaps, but those are the shoes he is essentially being asked to fill. The little fielding slips are very un-Australian too, although there was a big improvement today.

So, to summarise: Australia to win, but we're no longer beaten before the first ball is bowled! Game on!

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Sudeep said:
LOL, I know. There are only six cars participating. But unlike Ponting, Schumacher didn't allow the four non-Ferraris to go ahead. :ph34r:

Okay, I'll stop. I guess it's just the ecstasy.
Formula 1 is now officially an absolute farce. I no longer have any interest in the over-priced rubbish.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Eddie, it surely can't have escaped your attention that Derbyshire are now equal world champions?

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:
I don't wanna go overboard (actually, that's an untruth; I do, but I'll restrain myself for the purposes of decorum & not looking a div when it all goes **** up) but I think this weekend has proved a couple of things, if nothing else:

Now let me qualify that second point, Australia are still a magnificent team; unquestionably the best in the world & will probably have too much for us come the tests. Nevertheless there are signs of fallibility. Mainly to do with Father Time I think. Dizzy & Kasper are both palpably creaking &, as good as McGrath was today, he hasn't looked quite the bowler he was on his last visit. After them the seaming cupboard looks a little bare. As for the blonde fella sitting the ODIs out, well even Mark Waugh has said Warney isn't the bowler he was.

As for SR Waugh... well, Clarke is a good young player, but is he a Steve Waugh? Unfair to compare perhaps, but those are the shoes he is essentially being asked to fill. The little fielding slips are very un-Australian too, although there was a big improvement today.

So, to summarise: Australia to win, but we're no longer beaten before the first ball is bowled! Game on!
good post :) That. totally agree

Sudeep

International Captain
yaju said:
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: .

I will convert CC to OT, and if you say I can start the process NOW!
Oh no! Wouldn't want to see threads like... "Do Sachin Tendulkar's kids kiss him goodbye before he leaves for a tour?" :p

tooextracool

International Coach
damn espn-star for making me miss pietersen's knock.
but anyways as usual our batting relied on 1 or 2 players. can someone please explain to me what solanki is doing at no 8, and what in the world geraint jones is doing in the ODI side?

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
BoyBrumby said:

Agree with most of that.

Re: Gillespie - age probably has a lot to do with his listlessness at the moment, though consistent injuries may have more to do with it. Even though most of his success is derived from his usual accuracy, a lot of it is to do with his pace. He's not lightning, but he used to be able to exceed 140km/h regularly; on this tour he's barely managed 130. His type of bowling is alot easier to play when it's 10k's slower; in any case, he hasn't been bowling with an accuracy whatsoever, and has been overdoing the slower ball.

Re: Kasprowicz - I think a lot of his recent success is due to: a) the fact that other bowlers have been performing well; and b) the novelty of his off-cutter action. I think the novelty has largely worn off (not completely - see Collingwood) and he has consistently failed when under duress (NZ, Somerset, today). Although I am a fan of his, I think his participation will diminish markedly over the next twelve months or so.

Re: McGrath - I disagree here. His success is largely due to: a) uncanny accuracy; and b) bounce. He hasn't been as accurate so far on this tour, but having seen him over the last year, I don't think he's on the decline (averaged around 18 in both forms, I think). No doubt his reputation plays a part in many of his wickets, but there's a limit on how many wickets one can get through reputation alone. I think he'll remain Australia's premier bowler until the day he retires.

Re: Warne - You're probably right, he hasn't looked all that great of late.

Re: Clarke - I rate him very highly, though that's based mainly on intuition (i.e. I can't really argue in his favour based on reason, so I won't try).

Re: England - There has been an obvious change in attitude from the last time they toured. This is largely due to Flintoff, Harmison, Pietersen, Strauss, and I guess the captain as well. As I mentioned earlier, Australia hasn't seen their potential, which is why they will likely pose a huge threat come Ashes. As you say, their attitude means that they won't be beaten before the first ball is bowled.

As for Australia's attitude: you don't get beaten by England, Somerset, Bangladesh and England again in the space of a week without suffering from a great deal of self-doubt. Still, plenty of matches to gain confidence before the Ashes start. :)

Last edited:

tooextracool

International Coach
BoyBrumby said:
Dizzy & Kasper are both palpably creaking &, as good as McGrath was today, he hasn't looked quite the bowler he was on his last visit.
i certainly dont understand where this 'dizzy is past it' comes from. its strange that everyone from botham to lehmann were talking about how old hes gotten, he just turned 30, hes a year and a half older than what is supposed to be the future of australian fast bowling- b.lee.
yes so hes bowled poorly recently, presumably because he was out of rhythm, he was actually bowling slower than mcgrath today, but give him some time.