• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
tooextracool said:
since when does symonds swing the ball?
Symonds can move the ball a bit in the air when conditions are helpful when he's bowling seam-up. At his pace it's not particularly hard.

He certainly doesn't swing it often, but he can do it, similar to someone like Nathan Astle.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Did he not have a bad run in NZ as well?
after the india series he hasn't been taking that many wickets but at the end of the NZ tour he was economical, but since he has touched down on the UK he has looked so woeful, so if that goes on until the end of the ashes then we can say with confidence that dizzy has lost it.

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
Oh dear, so all England's front-line bowlers bowler crap, whereas most of Australia's overs weren't crap, yet England cruised home by 9 wickets with 4 overs to spare...
England bowled on a minefield and Aus was lucky to get 200 - remember we scored 50 off the last 30 balls. They were criticised by the media and their own captain for the way they bowled.

England batted in good batting conditions against a team that delivered 20 reasonable overs (Symonds plus Lee/McGrath opening spell).

social

tooextracool said:
i think its definetly arguable as to whether lee and mcgrath didnt bowl crap yesterday. mcgrath for the large part bowled too short, much like the england bowlers did.
Except for no-balls. Lee and McGrath were fine for the first 8 - 10 overs.

Remember, England should have been 2 for under 20 and the majority of those runs came from sudries.

Unfortunately, with the exception of Symonds, the remainder of the bowling was abysmal.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
Remember, England should have been 2 for under 20 and the majority of those runs came from sudries.

"Should have" - what a great get-out clause.

You cannot use should have to cover up Aussie mistakes.

social

marc71178 said:
"Should have" - what a great get-out clause.

You cannot use should have to cover up Aussie mistakes.
No, you are being critical of Aus' opening attack without justification.

If England were reduced to 2-18, would you then say that they were very good?

The facts are that, with the exception of 20 overs, Aus bowled poorly and that England, excepting Collingwood, were just as bad.

Last edited:

Scallywag

Banned
luckyeddie said:
Homophobe as well as racist, eh? That figures.
Who would have thought an innocent mistake like forgeting to put an A in ****atoo would lead to the discovery of you being gay. Calling me a homophobe seems a bit odd considering up until now I thought you were female but even though you say you are tired of baiting me, I'm still not sure if you are just baiting me.

(quack) I live with eddie and I can tell you he is a master baiter.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Scallywag said:
Who would have thought an innocent mistake like forgeting to put an A in ****atoo would lead to the discovery of you being gay. Calling me a homophobe seems a bit odd considering up until now I thought you were female but even though you say you are tired of baiting me, I'm still not sure if you are just baiting me.

(quack) I live with eddie and I can tell you he is a master baiter.
Well, that makes it all better, then. Oh, and it's pointy brackets for ducks.

<quack> Doesn't even know that? Ricky gets enough, doesn't he?

Neil Pickup

Request Your Custom Title Now!
social said:

Unfortunately, with the exception of Symonds, the remainder of the bowling was abysmal.
I'll give you "should have" been 1-16 (Strauss ct Gilchrist, I'd have been disappointed to spill that caught behind), but not the second wicket... he overstepped by a good four, five inches, which means the ball would have been in a completely different position had it been released from a legal position. The only time you can legitimiately claim Tres should've been out was when he ran Symonds into Gilchrist's gloves but Koertzen didn't notice...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
No, you are being critical of Aus' opening attack without justification.
So No Balls should be ignored then?

Whose fault is the no balls?

Oh, I get it, must be the conditions.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
social said:
The facts are that, with the exception of 20 overs, Aus bowled poorly
So if Australia didn't bowl that poorly, they must be in trouble, since England cruised to a 9 wicket win.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
So if Australia didn't bowl that poorly, they must be in trouble, since England cruised to a 9 wicket win.
He said Australia DID bowl poorly, with the exception of 20 overs, which is true. That, along with a modest total caused more by the conditions than England's great bowling (given that 220 was a pretty good score on the wicket Australia batted on), and some good play by Tresco after his early struggles and by Vaughan was why England won.

Anyway, teams for the next game?

England unchanged for me, hopefully Australia leave out the injured Watson for Kasprowicz, and pick Hussey or Clarke as the sub instead of Hogg.

tooextracool

International Coach
FaaipDeOiad said:
Symonds can move the ball a bit in the air when conditions are helpful when he's bowling seam-up. At his pace it's not particularly hard.

He certainly doesn't swing it often, but he can do it, similar to someone like Nathan Astle.
i think symonds a bit like flintoff can only swing the ball when the conditions are very conducive for swing. he certainly hasnt swung the ball all series.

tooextracool

International Coach
aussie said:
after the india series he hasn't been taking that many wickets but at the end of the NZ tour he was economical, but since he has touched down on the UK he has looked so woeful, so if that goes on until the end of the ashes then we can say with confidence that dizzy has lost it.
he wasnt taking too many wickets before the tour of india either, but he certainly wasnt downright woeful as he is now.

tooextracool

International Coach
social said:

doubt it, brett lee and mcgrath bowled too short, mcgrath of course didnt bowl as short as harmison but he was consistently bowling that short of a length rubbish which was quite obviously not the right length to be hitting on this wicket.
remember that australia had overcast conditions for the first 10 overs too, they just didnt use them properly. even the ball that had tresco caught of a no-ball was a very poor short and wide delivery.

King_Ponting

International Regular
tooextracool said:
i think symonds a bit like flintoff can only swing the ball when the conditions are very conducive for swing. he certainly hasnt swung the ball all series.

I thought he was bowling medium pace outswingers in the lords final :blink:

Hoggy31

International Captain
My Australian Line-Up for next game:

+A Gilchrist
M Hayden
*R Ponting
A Symonds
M Clarke
M Hussey
B Hogg
B Lee
J Gillespie
M Kasprowicz
G McGrath

Super Sub: D Martyn

And if Australia bowl first, bowl out McGrath or Kasprowicz before 40 overs then once one of them has completed their ten sub Martyn on

Last edited: