• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
tooextracool said:
i think we've got some excellent bowlers.
and as far as the captaincy is concerned, i think the reason why i suggested that it was the biggest mistake hes made as captain was because he hasnt made that many.
Yes, but obviously Giles doesn't figure in that number, and we all know what you think about Hoggard.

tooextracool

International Coach
luckyeddie said:
Yes, but obviously Giles doesn't figure in that number,.
why not? everyone knows that giles isnt a wicket taker unless the balls turning. fact is that you cant be bowling giles when you need wickets on a seam friendly wicket. giles is a very good bowler, and he did a commendable job when he bowled yesterday, its just that the captain made a poor move of bowling him for too long, which was not his fault.

luckyeddie said:
and we all know what you think about Hoggard.
other than the fact that hes a strike bowler only when the ball is moving about and is otherwise generally defensive?
that doesnt exactly make you a poor bowler, and its quite likely that he'll get helpful conditions this summer.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
im sorry what? how in the world can you get behind a ball that was fairly wide of off stump? the edge happened because he played at a good ball that was bowled down the wrong line, and the edge(or at least a play and miss) would have happened to any player who attempted to play at that ball.
The ball was right in the corridor i.e. not very wide at all. I can't vouch for what you see with your own eyes but in my opinion, it wasn't wide at all.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Top_Cat said:
The ball was right in the corridor i.e. not very wide at all. I can't vouch for what you see with your own eyes but in my opinion, it wasn't wide at all.
In a Test match that sort of delivery would be left alone 9 times out of 10, the ball wasn't threatening the stumps although granted it wasn't particularly wide either - but it was wide enough.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
In a Test match that sort of delivery would be left alone 9 times out of 10, the ball wasn't threatening the stumps although granted it wasn't particularly wide either - but it was wide enough.
It may have been left, it may have been played but you're talking about the way Glenn McGrath gets a lot of wickets; 'forcing' batsmen to play at deliveries which they shouldn't. Anyway, I maintain it was nowhere near as clear-cut as you guys are saying. It would, upon being left, be regarded as a 'good leave' in a Test but it wasn't wide enough to be left '9 times out of 10'.

social

Top_Cat said:
It may have been left, it may have been played but you're talking about the way Glenn McGrath gets a lot of wickets; 'forcing' batsmen to play at deliveries which they shouldn't. Anyway, I maintain it was nowhere near as clear-cut as you guys are saying. It would, upon being left, be regarded as a 'good leave' in a Test but it wasn't wide enough to be left '9 times out of 10'.
As I said on another thread, McGrath has been getting people out in this fashion for 10 years or more.

With skill and the aid of the Lords slope, he had been moving the ball into the batsmen consistently. The batsmen therefore feels compelled to play at balls outside the off-stump.

Finally McGrath causes a ball to hold its own, or run up the slope, and the committed batsman edges it. Simply great bowling and something that is likely to be repeated this summer.

social

tooextracool said:
really? quality seam?
bit strange then that mcgrath, not for one ball troubled him on his way to 44. in fact mcgrath didnt even manage to beat flintoff for a single ball during that innings. to say something based on one dismissal(and even that doesnt exactly back the claim) is quite ludicrous.

i wouldnt go that far at all. as unconventional as his technique is, he did look fairly comfortable for all of the 9 balls that he batted before it, and i personally think that the 10th ball was a very good one, rather than poor technique or anything like that.

im sorry what? lee beat him for a whole 1 delivery. you really are exaggerating a fair bit. KP looked fairly good while he was at the crease, and when he did get out it was an excellent ball rather than a poor shot.
Im basing my statements re Flintoff on this series, the SA series, and a number of other times Ive seen him before.

Unfortunately, it's too easy to say that his problems rest in shot selection. In fact, his two previous rash strokes against Aus came because he was bogged down because, you guessed it, he wasnt moving his feet.

KP's flawed technique is obvious. Time will tell whether he is a genius that can counter-balance this failing with natural talent.

BTW, Lee has bowled to KP on more than one occasion this summer.

Eclipse

International Debutant
social said:
KP's flawed technique is obvious. Time will tell whether he is a genius that can counter-balance this failing with natural talent.

BTW, Lee has bowled to KP on more than one occasion this summer.
I think he will..

Probably a bit like Ponting, It's obvious his weekness, they are the same things he has struggled through his whole carear yet he has had that talent to counter balance it.. And when he get's his eye in he is very hard to remove.

Gloucefan

U19 Vice-Captain
King_Ponting said:
I Havent Seen Much Of Strauss So I Wouldnt Know But When Hes In Form Does He Use His Feet? Cause It Seems To Me That He Just Gets Stuck On The Crease
He has struggled with foot movement of late but I think you will see a different Strauss in the tests.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
King_Ponting said:
I Havent Seen Much Of Strauss So I Wouldnt Know But When Hes In Form Does He Use His Feet? Cause It Seems To Me That He Just Gets Stuck On The Crease
This post was also seen in the book "The Dummies Guide to the "Shift" Key"

andyc

i'm not sure if this had been brought up or not, but i remember someone asking if mike hussey or KP would come out of the series with a better average.. well...

Pietersen- 99.57
Hussey- 113.66

very surprising

Mister Wright

andyc said:
i'm not sure if this had been brought up or not, but i remember someone asking if mike hussey or KP would come out of the series with a better average.. well...

Pietersen- 99.57
Hussey- 113.66

very surprising
IIRC it was for their career not the series.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Mister Wright said:
Over their career, not career averages at the end of the series.
I think it was who would come out of the series with a better career average, but I can't be bothered digging through this thread to find out, so I'll take your word for it. :p

Mister Wright

Adamc said:
I think it was who would come out of the series with a better career average, but I can't be bothered digging through this thread to find out, so I'll take your word for it. :p
Yeah, me neither. I thought it was at the end of their careers.