• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Entrael said:
yeh you should be lol.. hes scored like 3 triple centries while playing county cricket. So he can definately bat. Wouldnt be suprised if he gets elevated into the test side very soon.
In place of who?

Pratters

Cricket, Lovely Cricket
King_Ponting said:
Does anyone know why channel 7 isnt covering the presentations?
We have been getting Argenitina vs Nigeria football after the amtch instead of the presentations :(

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
Katich maybe?
That would be the worst selection move imaginable. Simon Katich is the player I would most like to see coming in if Australia get in trouble this series. He's a great player.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Jono said:
Hogg gone, Harmy gets another.
15 wickets in 6 games for him - that's pretty good form.

4 ODI's vs Aus this summer - 11 wickets @ 12.91 whilst conceding 3.64 - not too shabby.

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
That would be the worst selection move imaginable. Simon Katich is the player I would most like to see coming in if Australia get in trouble this series. He's a great player.

But if the hypothetical was raised, Katich looks like the weakest link in the current australian test side

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
Indeed. As much as I've been impressed with Hussey (i.e. a hell of a lot), there can be no justification for dropping Katich. Having said that, he has been treated unfairly in the past. Good to know that there is (potentially) very decent back-up though.

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
King_Ponting said:
But if the hypothetical was raised, Katich looks like the weakest link in the current australian test side
Clarke is a weaker link, as is Hayden as things stand. Katich is in fact one of the stronger links.

Besides, Hussey is and always will be an opener primarily. He should come in for another opener, if he comes in at all, which means he won't until there's a spot for him. The test side should stay unchanged.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Adamc said:
Indeed. As much as I've been impressed with Hussey (i.e. a hell of a lot), there can be no justification for dropping Katich. Having said that, he has been treated unfairly in the past. Good to know that there is (potentially) very decent back-up though.

Having said that there was no justification for dropping love either..... seeing as his last test score was a century

King_Ponting

International Regular
FaaipDeOiad said:
Clarke is a weaker link, as is Hayden as things stand. Katich is in fact one of the stronger links.

Besides, Hussey is and always will be an opener primarily. He should come in for another opener, if he comes in at all, which means he won't until there's a spot for him. The test side should stay unchanged.

Nah i disagree, if a middle order position opened up in the test side im sure hussey could adapt to that role as he often bats at 3 and 4 for WA, when Langer and Rodgers open.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
King_Ponting said:
Having said that there was no justification for dropping love either..... seeing as his last test score was a century
IIRC Love was replacing Martyn for some reason (injury?). Martyn came back for the next game, and in that situation the established player usually takes precedence. (I would have added that Love's century was only against Bangladesh, but I would be setting myself up for some interesting responses. ;)) Katich was dropped after scoring a ton in favour of an unestablished Test player, i.e. Symonds, which is patently unfair IMO.

King_Ponting

International Regular
Adamc said:
IIRC Love was replacing Martyn for some reason (injury?). Martyn came back for the next game, and in that situation the established player usually takes precedence. (I would have added that Love's century was only against Bangladesh, but I would be setting myself up for some interesting responses. ;)) Katich was dropped after scoring a ton in favour of an unestablished Test player, i.e. Symonds, which is patently unfair IMO.
Yeh your right but when a spot did open up Katich was put ahead of Love, even tho love had scored 100 in his last test.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Gillespie back on for Hogg.. interesting move given that if Symonds had bowled out Gillespie could have replaced him and it would have hit the remaining overs perfectly leading up to Lee/McGrath at the death.

Now someone like Clarke or Hussey will need to bowl a bit.
An error of captaincy?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:
Jones batting well today, he is regularly bashed on this forum, one wonders if he plays a match-winning innigs if those that aren't fond of him will begin to think differently.
1 swallow does not a summer make.