• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
I wish this game was under International Cricket Captain rules

Edit: Oh, and what on earth has happened to the Lord's wicket? It's been flat all season when Middlesex has played.... :ph34r:

Last edited:

Jdz

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
25 people viewing this thread, woah.

Umm, well nobody loses really. The Wide and No Ball didn't help our cause (Aussie's).

PY

International Coach
superkingdave said:
sh*t i just realised, i had a tenner on Australia to win - what happens?
Knowing the bookies, you lose. :(

It was the only scenario you didn't gain something. :laugh:

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
yeah i thought that, but it was a closed bet there were only two choices and sometimes they refund the stake in situations like that.

PY

International Coach
Slightly OT, Trescothick is favourite to score the most runs in the Ashes for England......how on Earth?

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Jamee999 said:
Any thoughts for MOS?
BoyBrumby said:
Symonds for me. He came back very well after his little, er, curfew breaking. Hussey has done v well too.

We've bowled well, but (KP's innings aside & honourable mentions to Colly & Geraint today) no-one has looked comfortable against the Oz bowling.
I'm great, me! :D

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
ha ha i dont know how but they paid out at 1/2 - the odds i hot were 2/1 so must be some kind of quarter the odds thing?!??

Isolator

State 12th Man
FaaipDeOiad said:
Lee only bowled one bad ball in his final over, although it did go for a boundary.
I think he should have been looking for six yorkers. Even prior to this over Giles had been frequently backing away... surely Lee should have gone for a few yorkers first up here (ie. in the 49th over). That ball that went to the boundary wasn't a bad ball, really, because Giles was pretty lucky to edge it, but it was bad bowling, bad thinking on the part of Lee. I found it really annoying. In fact, up to that point I had wanted Australia to win, but Lee's over infuriated me so much that I immediately switched over to supporting Inkland, out of sheer spite.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
Wow. Incredible match, neither side deserved to lose, so a very fitting result in the end. Off to the Natwest Challenge for bragging rights then.

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
aussie said:
figured, so you still rather read eh eddie??
Sorry. Was the barb aimed at me? You asked whether it would make any difference to the usual suspects' opinion of Geraint Jones, and I said 'no chance'.

My opinion is that Jones is perfect for ODI's - just so long as he bats at 7. Always has been, always will be. To try to turn him into another Churchy is a mistake, I said so at the time, and I also said that experiment was doomed to failure. So it was.

Would I pick Read for The Ashes?

Oh, yes.

Why?

Because Read is a better keeper. Saying that, Geraint is, like Gilchrist, a perfectly capable catcher of the ball. If we have 5 hard, bouncy tracks this summer, then the Giles question won't come into the equation (that would be a huge shame, no-one should run scared of Warne when there are enough Aussies to be worried about already) and then you want a catcher, not a keeper, and the gap narrows.

Next question....

James90

Cricketer Of The Year
What made that game was the passion shown from both teams. From the early English collapse I wished for at least a reasonably close result. GoJo played a jem and for a while I half-wanted him to see them home :-O But after he got out I became Australian again and I must say needing 19 off the last two overs with Lee and McGrath bowling I didn't think the poms had a chance.

Symonds Man of the Series and well deserved. Bah! It's 4.15am and I've suddenly become really paranoid. My cat just started scratching in it's litter and I thought we were being robbed. Aah she just moaned! I better get to sleep! FREAKING OUT!

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
Adamc said:
Wow. Incredible match, neither side deserved to lose, so a very fitting result in the end. Off to the Natwest Challenge for bragging rights then.
Yeah, this result has actually given the NWC a point! It's 1-1 with two no results now. Harmison and Flintoff will feel like they have the wood over Hayden, Gilchrist and Ponting, and McGrath and Lee have the English top order hopping around as well, so psychological points have landed, but nobody has come out on top in the ODIs yet.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
FaaipDeOiad said:
We'll go over to the Ashes thread for the NatWest Challenge I guess, so I think the Ashes thread will be the one which breaks the record.
This thread includes the Natwest Challenge (see the title). I'm sure the Ashes thread will beat it though.

Adamc

Cricketer Of The Year
King_Ponting said:
Does anyone know why channel 7 isnt covering the presentations?
Because Channel 7 are stupid and need revenue from paid advertising. Foxtel covered the presentation up until Vaughan started his speech, whereupon they crossed back to BJ and MW. Funny that...