• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** NatWest Series/Challenge

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
well thats it, match abandoned neil you can stop with your maths now :p. Looking at Australia's next match, this might be the team:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Symonds
Hussey
Clarke
Haddin
Watson
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
Kasper

At this stage its 1/1 ENG VS AUS, so it will be an interesting & exciting final at Lord's on saturday.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
aussie said:
well thats it, match abandoned neil you can stop with your maths now :p. Looking at Australia's next match, this might be the team:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Symonds
Hussey
Clarke
Haddin
Watson
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
Kasper

At this stage its 1/1 ENG VS AUS, so it will be an interesting & exciting final at Lord's on saturday.
1-1 in the ODIs. 2-1 overall to England.

superkingdave

Hall of Fame Member
aussie said:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Symonds
Hussey
Clarke
Haddin
Watson
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
Kasper
I thought this substitute malarkey wasn't starting till the Natwest Challenge :p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
Harmy should be off now, last over cost 14. Get Fred on, work with Jones at getting up them like he did to Hayden.
Have to say, considering 1 over went for 14, Harmison had superb figures today.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
wpdavid said:
Sad to say, Gough's looking a bit of a pie-chucker today. There's a lot of talk on the radio about how he doesn't pose enough of a threat to be opening the bowling nowadays, which I think is probably right.
Which begs the question, should he be in the team?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Fourth Aussie who's made a decent start and not gone on, it would be nice if England could pick up some Aussies early on in their innings.
Although in some ways them keeping having small partnerships means there's no time for a pair to settle with constant wickets.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Scaly piscine said:
Another bit of a stranglehold and so Vaughan yet again brings on the buffet bowler. The taff isn't a death bowler so he should be on.
At that point they needed 4 overs from people who weren't Jones, Harmison, Giles or Flintoff.

Had he delayed the use of them, you'd have been the first moaning when one bowled at the death.

Had they used someone like Collingwood, you'd have moaned about him not using a frontline bowler.

Had Vaughan grabbed the ball, you'd have moaned about him bowling useless previously...

So what would you have done in the situation then, since you're clearly a great Cricketing brain?

Barney Rubble

International Coach
marc71178 said:
Have to say, considering 1 over went for 14, Harmison had superb figures today.
Yes he did - 10-1-38-2, which works out at 9-1-24-2 without the 14-run over. He's been bowling suprebly all series, great to see him proving to the Aussies already that he's not as rubbish as they seem to think.

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
marc71178 said:
Which begs the question, should he be in the team?
They could try Tremlett, though I don't think he's troubled the Aussies. Great talent from what's been written in the thread so far, apparently?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Neil Pickup said:
What do your millions a year on school fees pay for then, if you can't understand Jack and Tony's masterpiece!

Par scores at 20 overs:
69-0, 78-1, 89-2, 103-3, 121-4

Par scores at 30 overs:
119-0, 123-1, 129-2, 137-3, 147-4

Have to say, had England won it be being 69-0 after 20 then it would've been a farce.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
FaaipDeOiad said:
Martyn was clearly not out, imo. Pietersen had that ball in his fingers, but the ground pushed it into his hand and gave him control over it. I wasn't particularly impressed to see him claim it.
Only seen it on the news today, but it does appear to be another where the camera angle isn't conclusive.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
BoyBrumby said:
I think the umpires got the Martyn shout right; when I saw it at full speed it looked like a catch, it was only when they slowmoed it that it looked iffy. As I understand it there's a known flaw in the camera angle (foreshortening, I think they call it) which makes the ball appear lower than it actually is. Catches like that are calls umps have to make unless both are unsighted.
Is this another reason to doubt the reliance on technology in the modern game?

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
age_master said:
anti climax for this game maybe, but it all builds well for the final from here.
I'd be interested in your reasoning, considering 4 of our bowlers did a very good job and you're only fielding 4 front-line men including one who is still out of form.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
aussie said:

Hayden
Katich
Ponting
Symonds
Hussey
Clarke
Haddin
Watson
Hogg
Lee
Gillespie
Kasper
I very much doubt it - the 12 man rule isn't in till next week.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Barney Rubble said:
Yes he did - 10-1-38-2, which works out at 9-1-24-2 without the 14-run over. He's been bowling suprebly all series, great to see him proving to the Aussies already that he's not as rubbish as they seem to think.
But I thought it was impossible he could bowl well, because the font of all knowledge has decreed it?

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
marc71178 said:
At that point they needed 4 overs from people who weren't Jones, Harmison, Giles or Flintoff.

Had he delayed the use of them, you'd have been the first moaning when one bowled at the death.

Had they used someone like Collingwood, you'd have moaned about him not using a frontline bowler.

Had Vaughan grabbed the ball, you'd have moaned about him bowling useless previously...

So what would you have done in the situation then, since you're clearly a great Cricketing brain?
Gough who came on should have been used as much as possible later on as he was getting hammered anyway - so he may as well get hammered when he's supposed to get hammered a bit. Anyway you quoted the answer again... "The taff isn't a death bowler so he should be on." I actually think Jones should have finished his 10 overs by the time he came on and got clouted in his remaining overs - as I keep saying he isn't a death bowler or even someone you'd want bowling the 40th over so the nearer you've got to him bowling at a time in the ODI that's as close to a bowling in a Test the better.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Martyn was clearly not out, imo. Pietersen had that ball in his fingers, but the ground pushed it into his hand and gave him control over it. I wasn't particularly impressed to see him claim it.
If the ball didn't touch the ground, it was a clean catch. Even if the ball was about to spill out and his hand touched the ground and helped it back into his hand, thats fine under the current laws. I personally thought it was pretty clear that his fingers were under it and it was a clean catch. Either way, there's no way you could say Martyn was 'clearly' not out.

Once again two Aussie batsmen fall to well-excuted plans (Gilchrist and Martyn) and got out exactly the same way; in your face, Richard.